#697: Repository and thorn names cannot be different
Reporter: Erik Schnetter
Status: new
Milestone:
Version:
Type: bug
Priority: minor
Component: GetComponents
Changes (by Roland Haas):
responsible: (was [])
assignee: (was Eric Seidel)
I am accessing some thorns stored in git repositories at bitbucket.org, which insists that all repository names are all lower case. I don't know how to specify this in GetComponents. When I say
```
!TARGET = $ARR
!TYPE = git
!URL = git@bitbucket.org:user/thorn.git
!AUTH_URL = git@bitbucket.org:user/thorn.git
!CHECKOUT = Arrangement/Thorn
```
then GetComponents does not create a symbolic link from Thorn to ../../repos/thorn, but to ../../repos/thorn/Arrangement/Thorn instead. How do I avoid this?
**Keyword:**
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/697/repository-and-tho…
#2692: Inclusion of FUKA importer thorns
Reporter: tootle
Status: new
Milestone: ET_2023_05
Version: ET_2023_05
Type: proposal
Priority: major
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
Comment (by tootle):
@{557058:55837d30-c210-4b67-899f-972675258158} Thank you for your comment. Indeed, I’m aware of your work and have looked at the new RePrimAnd library a bit, however, I haven’t worked with the new thorn nor looked at what would be needed to interface the Fuka thorns with another EOS framework.
The `kadath_pizza` thorn is quite trivial, but plays a necessary role. For simulations that utilize a tabulated equation of state, the initial temperature and Ye need to be initialized prior to the ID\_CONVERT stages. For our internal codes, the EOS manager initializes these values for us based on the extracted cold beta equilibrium slice, however, this was not the case when I was trying to run some comparison tests with WhiskyTHC. Instead of making the importer thorn more bloated I decided to write `kadath_pizza` to keep this functionality isolated and modular since interfaces differ between EOS frameworks.
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2692/inclusion-of-fuka…
#2692: Inclusion of FUKA importer thorns
Reporter: tootle
Status: new
Milestone: ET_2023_05
Version: ET_2023_05
Type: proposal
Priority: major
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
Comment (by Roland Haas):
I see.
Yes, an intermediate thorn \(and ExternalLibrary\) that provides Boost would be needed \(right now, for CarpetX we use David Radice’s thorn: [https://github.com/dradice/Boost](https://github.com/dradice/Boost), which provides a built in copy of Boost 1.55 or interfaces with a system installed Boost. It uses an older style of building things, than eg is used by “modern” ExternalLibraries like HDF5 or GSL, but actually that happens to work well for Boost\).
Even if Boost is not part of the ET KadathThorn should declare a dependency on Boost in its `configuration.ccl` \(same as the Reprimand helper thorn does\), since this way a non-system Boost can be interfaced correctly \(Cactus sets the relevant `-I` and `-L` options\).
CMake is a mixed bag on clusters usually. It is very much geared towards workstation setups where there is exactly one copy of a library and its `find_XXX` functions seem to not always follow a set pattern or let a user override settings \(autoconf is similar,but usually at least lets one override everything with `CFLAGS` and `LDFLAGS` which CMake resists\). So I expect issues :-\)
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2692/inclusion-of-fuka…
#2692: Inclusion of FUKA importer thorns
Reporter: tootle
Status: new
Milestone: ET_2023_05
Version: ET_2023_05
Type: proposal
Priority: major
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
Comment (by Wolfgang Kastaun):
@tootle Is the disabled kadath\_pizza part simply using the EOS framework from WhiskyTHC? Because the RePrimAnd thorn that is part of the ET includes this functionality and the interface is very similar \(I was the one who wrote the “pizza” parts of WhiskyTHC\). So maybe it would make sense to just use RePrimAnd instead.
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2692/inclusion-of-fuka…
#2692: Inclusion of FUKA importer thorns
Reporter: tootle
Status: new
Milestone: ET_2023_05
Version: ET_2023_05
Type: proposal
Priority: major
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
Comment (by tootle):
@{557058:59e031ba-9bb5-4298-a472-7b99d0ae6f22} I had a look today and the dependencies that ptree relies within boost are too extensive to try and extract manually unfortunately. Therefore, the only option in the short term would be to include it as `DISABLED` if the ETK maintainers agree or to exclude these thorns altogether.
> If the dependency persists the is should be listed in `configuration.ccl` along with `GSL` etc.
This would still require there to be an intermediate thorn that `PROVIDES BOOST`.
> You may also need to consider an `OPTIONAL` dependency on `CMake` in particular if you require a non-ancient `cmake`. Some of CarpetX dependencies do that \(AMReX, ADIOS I think\) and can optionally use a cmake in `${CMAKE_DIR}/bin/cmake` instead of just `cmake`. I think the two of them between them now require cmake `3.23` \(from around July 2022, so very very recent for HPC clusters\).
This is an interesting point. In reality the current version of KADATH is based on cmake 2.8 which I’ve recently had to start manually removing old safeties that interfere with methods implemented in cmake >3.2. Specifically, base KADATH included its on modules for `find_package` for its dependencies which would override the modern default scripts. This meant that all the search routines for looking for packages in `$ENV{<PACKAGE NAME>_ROOT}` were not searched since this was not implemented until cmake 3 I believe. I know there are those that unfortunately have to deal ith systems running old libraries, but this is not something I deal with at the moment so it is difficult to test and develop against.
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2692/inclusion-of-fuka…
#2610: RePrimAnd thorn requires GSL 2.0 but does not test for it
Reporter:
Status: new
Milestone:
Version: development version
Type: bug
Priority: minor
Component:
Comment (by Wolfgang Kastaun):
The only remaining GSL dependency is monotonic spline interpolation on irregular spaced data. I have already implemented the monotonic spline interpolation for regularly spaced data in another code part, generalizing that is no too much work and I am optimistic to get rid of GSL soon.
The Boost dependency is another matter. I am using a root-finder and ODE integrator from Boost which I don’t want to re-implement. However, those are header-only dependencies, so I think I will try to isolate the required headers and ship them in the repo.
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2610/reprimand-thorn-r…
#2610: RePrimAnd thorn requires GSL 2.0 but does not test for it
Reporter:
Status: new
Milestone:
Version: development version
Type: bug
Priority: minor
Component:
Comment (by Roland Haas):
@{557058:55837d30-c210-4b67-899f-972675258158} any updates on GSL dependencies? Also on Boost I guess \(is that going to be more or less present given that it will not translate well to GPUs\)?
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2610/reprimand-thorn-r…
#2600: `CCTK_CENTERING_GF` is applied to grid scalars
Reporter: Erik Schnetter
Status: resolved
Milestone:
Version: development version
Type: bug
Priority: minor
Component:
Comment (by Steven R. Brandt):
This ticket should have been closed in June 2022.
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2600/cctk_centering_gf…
#2600: `CCTK_CENTERING_GF` is applied to grid scalars
Reporter: Erik Schnetter
Status: resolved
Milestone:
Version: development version
Type: bug
Priority: minor
Component:
Changes (by Roland Haas):
status: resolved (was new)
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2600/cctk_centering_gf…