#489: Hydro_InitExcision test cases failing - shift_state = 0 no longer supported
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
Reporter: hinder | Owner:
Type: defect | Status: new
Priority: major | Milestone:
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn | Version:
Keywords: Hydro_InitExcision |
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
All of the Hydro_InitExcision test cases are failing. The error seems to
be
WARNING level 0 in thorn GRHydro processor 0 host sl-18.damiana.admin
(line 128 of GRHydro_Boundaries.F90):
-> shift_state = 0 (no shift storage) no longer supported!
[1mWARNING level 0 in thorn GRHydro processor 0 host sl-18.damiana.admin
(line 128 of GRHydro_Boundaries.F90):
->[0m shift_state = 0 (no shift storage) no longer supported!
They started failing on 04-08-2011 when this check was added in GRHydro.
See attached diff for what changed in the Cactus tree between the test
passing and failing.
I don't know the code, but would it make sense to change
ADMBase::initial_shift = "none"
to
ADMBase::initial_shift = "zero"
in the test parameter files?
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/489>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#536: Don't overload machines while building
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
Reporter: eschnett | Owner: eschnett
Type: enhancement | Status: new
Priority: optional | Milestone:
Component: SimFactory | Version:
Keywords: |
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
Certain machines are easily overloaded by building Cactus; building
multiple configurations at the same time is not possible there. For
example, LONI does not have sufficient compiler licences, or Orca
(Sharcnet) does not allow sufficiently many user processes. On LONI,
things will be very slow (also for other users), on Orca building will
fail with strange error messages.
I suggest a mechanism that automatically serialises building Cactus
configuration on certain sets of machines. Ideally, one would extend the
"make -j" mechanism for this; practically, an implementation via locks may
be simpler. Note that this has to work for sets of machines, not just
single machines.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/536>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#52: Ensure consistency between configurations on different systems
--------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
Reporter: anonymous | Owner: mthomas
Type: enhancement | Status: new
Priority: minor | Milestone:
Component: SimFactory | Version:
Resolution: | Keywords:
--------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
Comment (by bmundim):
Answering Erik: yes, I do regularly build multiple configurations in the
same source tree,
specially due to the large memory footprint of a ET checkout. So I don't
like to have more than
two (development and release) Cactus trees. I wouldn't mind to map
thornlist name to configuration
names (as long as tab completion is implemented too, as Ian suggested),
but I don't see the point on
enforcing it. The user should be able to set a different configuration
name based on the same
thornlist name with some thorns swapped by their private counterparts, for
example, like Frank
described.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/52#comment:4>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#491: RotatingSymmetry180 and RotatingSymmetry90 test cases failing
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
Reporter: hinder | Owner:
Type: defect | Status: new
Priority: major | Milestone:
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn | Version:
Keywords: |
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
The thorns RotatingSymmetry180 and RotatingSymmetry90 started failing
their tests on 03-Aug-2011. This is probably the same root cause as
#490: McLachlan test case failing due to ADMBase variable differences
There are substantial differences in the extrinsic curvature, dtlapse,
lapse and ml_admconstraints well above roundoff.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/491>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#52: Ensure consistency between configurations on different systems
--------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
Reporter: anonymous | Owner: mthomas
Type: enhancement | Status: new
Priority: minor | Milestone:
Component: SimFactory | Version:
Resolution: | Keywords:
--------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
Comment (by hinder):
At the moment I have configurations for both Damiana and Datura in the
same source tree, but--as suggested I think by Erik--this would be better
handled by having different source tree locations for the different
machines (they share a head node and home filesystem).
Most of the time I just use the default configuration name of "sim". I
would like this to use the default thornlist I have configured in
defs.local.ini, which used to work but I believe is now broken (I should
create a ticket for this). However, I also use other configurations. For
example I might have a small configuration for testing simfactory, another
for testing Kranc examples, maybe one for Carpet-Git and another for
Carpet-HG (I put the different Carpets in different arrangements in the
same source tree). So yes, I have multiple configurations.
I think a mapping between thornlists and configurations makes sense, in
the same way as I virtually always have a mapping between parameter files
and simulations. The only problem with this is that thornlist names tend
to be long and the configuration name would have to be typed for every
simfactory command. This could be solved by supporting [http://www
.debian-administration.org/articles/316 bash-completion] in simfactory so
that you could tab-complete on the configuration name. One could also use
short names for thornlists instead of long names.
So, I support the original suggestion and think it is a good idea. It
would be useful in the case where I have an old configuration and can't
remember what thornlist I used for it.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/52#comment:3>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#52: Ensure consistency between configurations on different systems
--------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
Reporter: anonymous | Owner: mthomas
Type: enhancement | Status: new
Priority: minor | Milestone:
Component: SimFactory | Version:
Resolution: | Keywords:
--------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
Comment (by eschnett):
One of Simfactory's goals is to remove the difference between different
machines. Ideally, one would just "submit" a simulation, and some semi-
automated mechanism would figure out where to submit (or would submit
multiple times and keep only the first job that then starts), or would
allow easily to restart on a different system, allows monitoring all
current simulations independent of where they are running, etc.
I have two thorn lists (development and production) in two different
source trees, and use the same thorn lists on all systems. If a thorn
doesn't work on a particular system this is noted in the MDB. I almost
never specify a configuration name manually. If the default changed from
"sim" to the thorn list name, I would not be bothered much.
In a way, this ticket is already implemented. Simfactory distributes e.g.
the manifest directory, and one can set a default thorn list in
defs.local.ini.
Are there people who regularly build multiple configurations in the same
source tree?
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/52#comment:2>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#52: Ensure consistency between configurations on different systems
--------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
Reporter: anonymous | Owner: mthomas
Type: enhancement | Status: new
Priority: minor | Milestone:
Component: SimFactory | Version:
Resolution: | Keywords:
--------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
Comment (by knarf):
I don't think this is a good idea. In part, because it goes against my
usual practice. I usually call configurations simply 'sim' out of
convenience and often have several complete checkouts for different
configurations - often because I do have different versions of the same
thorn, or would like to update some thorns for one configuration but not
another. I would not be interested in a simulation name similar to the
thornlist name.
Just for the record: yes, I do usually use the same thornlist for the same
checkout and configuration name. I just don't see the need to enforce
that.
This ticket is already quite old. If there is no other opinion within a
week or so, I will probably close it - because it is also not known who
actually submitted it.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/52#comment:1>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#516: Enable Vectorisation in McLachlan
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
Reporter: barry.wardell | Owner:
Type: enhancement | Status: new
Priority: major | Milestone:
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn | Version:
Keywords: |
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
Kranc generated thorns now have support for optimisation through
vectorisation. They just need the option UseVectors -> True to be set when
creating the thorn. The attached patches enable this for the BSSN thorns
in McLachlan.
I have tested that this gives a significant performance increase (close to
2x in the right-hand-sides in the cases I tried) and also that it agrees
to within what would be expected given roundoff differences with the
results of a BBH simulation with vectorisation disabled. Additionally, the
testsuites still pass with this patch applied.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/516>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#490: McLachlan test case failing due to ADMBase variable differences
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
Reporter: hinder | Owner:
Type: defect | Status: new
Priority: critical | Milestone:
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn | Version:
Keywords: McLachlan |
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
The McLachlan test ML_BSSN_sgw3d has been failing since 03-Aug-2011. The
only tested variable which is showing differences is kxx, but the
differences appear to be significantly larger than roundoff:
kxx.x.asc: substantial differences
significant differences on 16 (out of 36) lines
maximum absolute difference in column 13 is 0.000822901437894541
maximum relative difference in column 13 is 0.0560528644051835
(insignificant differences on 16 lines)
This coincides with the following commit:
commit 3ba8a55ae2578cb6dc06f0ec8b81f86b3a2654ac
Author: Erik Schnetter <schnetter(a)cct.lsu.edu>
Date: Tue Aug 2 20:37:19 2011 -0400
Correct schedule, in particular for checkpoint/recovery
Do not mark ADMBase variables for non-checkpointing if they have
multiple timelevels. (Variables with multiple timelevels must always
be checkpointed, because the past timelevels cannot be regenerated
after recovery.)
Finally remove all perl post-processing of the auto-generated code;
instead, use proper Kranc mechanisms.
Schedule the ADM constraints and ADM quantities after MoL_PostStep,
since this is where the ADMBase variables are set.
Schedule enforcing the BSSN constraints in the new schedule group
MoL_PostStepModify, since they should not be enforced after recovery.
(This would lead to inconsistencies at floating-point round-off
level.)
Regenerate all thorns.
and the other commits made to Cactus at the same time as explained in this
email:
http://cactuscode.org/pipermail/users/2011-July/002872.html
Attached is a diff which shows what changed between the test passing and
failing.
Since this test does not deal with checkpointing or recovery, I don't
understand why kxx should change so drastically.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/490>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#438: Allow a configuration.ccl for the flesh
----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
Reporter: eschnett | Owner:
Type: defect | Status: new
Priority: minor | Milestone:
Component: Other | Version:
Keywords: |
----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
The mechanism in Cactus that handles configuration.ccl files currently
cannot handle a configuration.ccl for the flesh. The enclosed patch
corrects this.
This is a prerequisite for moving the MPI configuration code out of the
flesh and into a thorn (as we already did for all other external
libraries). The flesh will need to know whether MPI is used or not, since
MPI needs to be initialized before the parameter file is read.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/438>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit