#1148: New thorn CactusTest/TestCrayPointers ------------------------------------+--------------------------------------- Reporter: eschnett | Owner: Type: enhancement | Status: review Priority: major | Milestone: Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: ------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
Comment (by eschnett):
Regarding "too many thorns": Please suggest another thorn into which to fold this test. All other thorns relate to certain features, and none subsume Cray pointers. We could conceivably merge test thorns, but I suggest to not make this a prerequisite for testing Cray pointers, as these are independent issues.
Regarding autoconf: Autoconf support for Fortran is meagre. One can use Fortran 77 only, and this only because Cactus extends certain autoconf macros that otherwise support only C or C++. (We are using a very old version of autoconf.) I just checked, and running a Cray pointer test via autoconf is not trivial, as Fortran compiler flags seem to get lost. Testing the C/Fortran calling interface is also not possible from autoconf, since this is determined later (and basically outside autoconf).
I believe this thorn has value as-is, if only to allow us get feedback about systems where Cray pointers don't work before we use them.