#678: Don't output build details for external libraries ------------------------------------+--------------------------------------- Reporter: eschnett | Owner: Type: enhancement | Status: review Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: ------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
Comment (by barry.wardell):
Replying to [comment:3 eschnett]:
I thought about disabling all output from configure and make as well,
but I now think this is too much. Building an external library may take a long time, there may be errors (especially if the compiler or compiler flags in Cactus are not configured correctly), and it seems standard in other projects as well to show the output of sub-configures and sub makes.
In that case one can always build with verbose output. Even better would be for verbose output to always be redirected to a log file with only the simplified output printed to stdout. This is how, e.g., MacPorts works and I quite like it.
Either way, the proposed patch is certainly an improvement on the current situation, so I would be in favor of committing it either with or without the total silencing of the external library build process.