Present: Roland H., Steve B., Peter D., Maria H., Miguel G, Kenneth S.,
Bill G., Zach E, Karima S., Atul K.
Chair: Steve
Minutes: Atul
SPEC benchmark contribution task
<https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2470> [RH, SB]
Roland: Making progress. We now have a version of ET with a single
makefile. We don't have CCZ4. Need to send it back to Nvidia for GPU
support.
Steve : We need a better test system. Last time all results and answers
were 0.
Need different tests because code got sped up a lot by Nvidia people.
Roland : Provide analytic solutions ?
Steve : Or put a non-zero ID, and check if the output doesn't change.
Steve : SPEC asking for two separate paperwork submissions for Cactus and
ET.
Maria : Cactus has been used to simulate seismic winds ten years ago.
[Implying it is different from ET]
Today is the deadline for proposals.
Simfactory usage survey [RH] (
http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/pipermail/users/2021-January/007754.html)
Results so far - PDF
<https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/images/d/d2/Simulation_Factory_use…>
online
HTML
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1EMXtmrsk6d-lnOePQG3sVcfA2cPbxLgKJ2gnqm1Iep…>
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1EMXtmrsk6d-lnOePQG3sVcfA2cPbxLgKJ2gnqm1Iep…
Roland : 25 respondents so far
-
Users are mostly (~ 50%) senior people (professors, researchers and
post-docs) with about 10 years of experience that have been contributing to
ET.
-
More than 50% users are involved in more than 10 production level
simulations. [higher than expected]
-
Changes in SimFactory files are very frequent.
-
Submit scripts are being changed, which implies that that file needs to
be investigated.
-
Bugs in SimFactory : 56% users never found/reported a bug. 76% of users
never fixed bugs.
-
Sub-commands are you aware of or have used?
-
list-archived-simulations command does not work. [was expected to
have 0 users.]
Steve : Which of these commands can be removed?
Roland : Suggests get-output-dir. A few others could be combined like
list-conf with list-configurations, and list-sub with list-simulations.
Not many people are using optimise, and some other commands.
Steve : filled an earlier test survey, not the current one.
Roland : Need to see if older experienced people are the only ones fixing
the bugs.
Steve : Seems most people are using SimFactory.
Roland : Although people not using SimFactory are unlikely to participate
in the survey.
Upcoming Release ---
https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/Release_Details
Zach : Reviewers for a few proposed thorns needed.
POWER (python script) (
https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2413/include-power-cod…)
has Maria H as reviewer. No update for con2prim. SelfForce 1D will be
major, if done [Peter D].
Feature freeze is potentially on 14th May.
Python 3 simfactory -
Steve : not going to have it done soon. There are pieces of it that dont
work. Maybe put it in as beta?
Putting it in master means it gets checked in different clusters by people
before release. And if it doesn’t work we revert one version for release.
Zach : MaxwellVacuum and MaxwellVacuumID thorns don't have reviewers. These
are very pedagogical thorns. Is being used by Baumgarte and Shapiro (who
are publishing a related book
http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/pipermail/users/2021-February/007804.html)
for showing differences in ADM and BSSN formalisms to students.
Roland : one can use the include command like in
http://einsteintoolkit.org/gallery/bns/nsnstohmns.th to add a few more
thorns to the original einsteintoolkit.th thornlist.
Steve : Simfactory needs a test suite before adding Python 3 SimFactory.
Zach : POWER definitely looks good to go to Master repo.
Roland : It only needs better documentation, regression tests and
comparisons with SimulationTools - Mathematica (https://simulationtools.org/
).
Zach : Canuda needs reviewers.
Zach : This release is likely going to be mostly patches to existing
thorns, and POWER.
Maria : Does POWER integrate Psi4 ?
Roland : It takes MultiPole-Psi4 and extrapolates to Scri+ for each (l,m)
mode. Does not add up all modes.
Unanswered questions on email:
Science Gateway for the ET
Steve: Looking for people’s opinions and thoughts.
[
https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues?status=open&status=new…
open tickets sorted by update time]
None
[
https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues?status=new&status=open…
tickets ready for review]
None
Future call Chairs and Minute takers
4 March : Chair Peter D., Minutes Bill G.
11 March : Chair Maria H., Minutes Miguel G.
------------------------------------- End of Call
-------------------------------------
Atul Kedia
Physics PhD student,
University of Notre Dame.
Hello,
Please consider joining the weekly Einstein Toolkit phone call at
9:00 am US central time on Thursdays. For details on how to connect
and what agenda items are to be discussed, use the link below.
https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/Main_Page#Weekly_Users_Call
--The Maintainers
Hi. I'm trying to regenerate the McLachlan ML_BSSN thorn by running the
Mathematica-based scripts on my Macbook. The process is failing, and I'd
like to know if it's an issue with my Mathematica installation or the
McLachlan code?
I have a pretty up-to-date Mathematica -- v 12.2 for Mac. For simplicity, I
didn't do a general "make", but chose a specific thorn. Here's what happens
if I try to run the script from inside the McLachlan/m directory.
Any suggestions appreciated -- but please don't ask me to go to an earlier
Mathematica version!.
Bernard
==============================
gs66-dodder:m bjkelly1$ make McLachlan_BSSN.out
rm -rf ML_BSSN ML_BSSN_Helper
env ML_CODE=BSSN ./runmath.sh McLachlan_BSSN.m McLachlan_BSSN
Using Kranc installation at ../../../repos/Kranc/Bin/..
Mathematica 12.2.0 Kernel for Mac OS X x86 (64-bit)
Copyright 1988-2020 Wolfram Research, Inc.
Profiling disabled
MapThread::mptd: Object TensorTools`Private`TensorCharacter[dir] at
position {2, 2} in MapThread[NumberQ[#1] || NumberQ[#2] || #1 === #2 & ,
{{u}, TensorTools`Private`TensorCharacter[dir]}] has only 0 of required 1
dimensions.
MapThread::mptd: Object TensorTools`Private`TensorCharacter[epsdiss] at
position {2, 2} in MapThread[NumberQ[#1] || NumberQ[#2] || #1 === #2 & ,
{{u}, TensorTools`Private`TensorCharacter[epsdiss]}] has only 0 of required
1 dimensions.
Riffle::list: List expected at position 1 in
Riffle[TensorTools`Private`TensorCharacter[gt], ,].
StringJoin::string: String expected at position 1 in
StringJoin[Riffle[TensorTools`Private`TensorCharacter[gt], ,]].
StringJoin::string: String expected at position 2 in Tensor indices in
gt[la,lb] do not match those used previously:
gt[<>Riffle[TensorTools`Private`TensorCharacter[gt], ,]<>].
Error:
StringJoin["Tensor indices in gt[la,lb] do not match those used previously:
gt[", Riffle[TensorTools`Private`TensorCharacter[gt], ","], "]"]
make: *** [McLachlan_BSSN.out] Error 1
--
------------------------------------------------------------------
Bernard Kelly -- CRESST Assistant Research Scientist, NASA/GSFC
Gravitational Astrophysics Laboratory --- Code 663
Phone: +1 (301) 286-7243 *** Fax: +1 (301) 286-2226
Web: http://science.gsfc.nasa.gov/sed/bio/bernard.j.kelly
ORCID: orcid.org/0000-0002-3326-4454
------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi everyone,
I am a PhD student at the IFT in Madrid. I am trying to adapt the
par/arxiv-1111.3344 /bbh.par parameter file to a hyperbolic encounter with
an initial separation of 100M. In fact, my problem is very similar to the
one here:
http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/pipermail/users/2020-February/007292.html
Learning from the GW150914.rpar parameter file, I have turned the bbh.par
into a .rpar file, so that I can automatically set some parameters such as
the initial positions, momenta, masses, etc. In addition, I have set the
boundaries to 768 to accommodate the new initial positions x = ±50 and
increased the refinement levels from 7 to 10, increasing a bit the
resolution of the finest grid (from 2/2^6=0.03125 to 12.8/2^9=0.025). I
have also disabled all the HDF5 output as well as the 180º rotating
symmetry, since I will later want to use it for different masses, and
enabled the QuasiLocalMeasures thorn. Finally, by following the advice for
the mentioned doubt of February 2020, I have increased the parameters
TwoPunctures::npoints_A,B,phi to 50, 50 and 20, respectively.
I thought that I had it, since the simulation was successfully running,
even past the point of closest approach. However, shortly after that, the
parameter "ML_BSSN::trK norm2" that the output showed abruptly turned to
-nan and the simulation crashed. Could anyone help me find the problem? I
thought it might be the resolution, but the bbh.par has a bit worse finest
grid resolution and it runs smoothly, even with stronger fields involved.
Could the problem be in the initial conditions generated by TwoPunctures at
such large distances?
I attach the .rpar file in case it helps. I am very new to the
Einstein Toolkit, so I might very well have overlooked something relevant.
Thank you in advance.
Best regards,
Santiago
Hi,
I am running the latest release of the Einstein Toolkit with
Cactus::presync_mode = "mixed-error". When I add the thorn
CarpetMask, the system returns an error: CarpetMask wants
sf_info from SphericalSurface, which is not available.
Looking at the scheduler, I can see why this is happening
(relevant section):
GROUP MaskBase_SetupMask: Set up the weight function
GROUP MaskBase_SetupMaskAll: Set up the weight function
CarpetReduce::MaskBase_AllocateMask: [global] Allocate the
weight function
CarpetReduce::MaskBase_InitMask: [global] [loop-local]
Initialise the weight function
GROUP SetupIMaskInternal: Set up the integer weight function
(schedule other routines in here)
CarpetReduce::CoordBase_SetupMask: [global] [loop-local] Set
up the outer boundaries of the weight function
CarpetReduce::CarpetMaskSetup: [global] [loop-singlemap] Set
up the weight function for the restriction regions
GROUP SetupIMask: Set up the integer weight function (schedule
other routines in here)
CarpetMask::CarpetExcludedSetup: [global] [loop-local] Set up
the weight function for the excluded regions
CarpetMask::CarpetSurfaceSetup: [global] [loop-local] Set up
the weight function for the excluded spherical surfaces
CarpetReduce::MaskBase_SetMask: [global] [loop-local] Set the
weight function
GROUP SetupMask: Set up the real weight function (schedule
other routines in here)
CarpetReduce::MaskBase_TestMask: [global] Test the weight
function
SphericalSurface::SphericalSurface_Set: [global] Set surface radii
to be used for initial setup in other thorns
GROUP SphericalSurface_HasBeenSet: Set the spherical surfaces
before this group, and use it afterwards
SphericalSurface::SphericalSurface_CheckState: [global] Test the
state of the spherical surfaces
As you see, CarpetMask is scheduled before SphericalSurface_Set,
which is what sets sf_info. This is in the BASEGRID bin.
Since I haven't touched neither CarpetMask nor SphericalSurface, I
would think this is a bug, but I maybe I am doing something wrong
(I've never used presync_mode before).
I also take the chance to point out two tickets Pedro Espino and I
opened but received no attention:
https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2487/_evolution_method…https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2484/lack-of-convergen…
Best,
Gabriele
Hi,
I've been running nsnstohmns.par for longer than the set time in the parameter file, and it fails at time=3913 with the error:
WARNING level 0 from host trcis001.hpc.wvu.edu process 23
in thorn CarpetLib, file /gpfs20/users/mbh0012/Cactus/configs/etk/build/CarpetLib/dh.cc:2103:
-> The grid structure is inconsistent. It is impossible to continue.
Do I need higher resolution, or /and AHFinder?
I tried the same parameter again, with higher resolution and disabling the RotationSymmetry180 and I have those warnings:
WARNING level 1 from host compute-7.marshall.local process 21
while executing schedule bin Hydro_Analysis_LocationSearch, routine Hydro_Analysis::Hydro_Analysis_LocationSearch_Combine
in thorn Hydro_Analysis, file /home/babiuc/ET_2020_11/Cactus/configs/bns/build/Hydro_Analysis/Hydro_Analysis.c:228:
-> Could not find grid point with maximum density 0.000734882 on grid. Using old location (11.25,4.75,0).
Could not find grid point with maximum density 0.000734882 on grid. Using old location (11.25,4.75,0).WARNING level 1 from host compute-7.marshall.local process 23
while executing schedule bin Hydro_Analysis_LocationSearch, routine Hydro_Analysis::Hydro_Analysis_LocationSearch_Combine
in thorn Hydro_Analysis, file /home/babiuc/ET_2020_11/Cactus/configs/bns/build/Hydro_Analysis/Hydro_Analysis.c:228:
->
Could not find grid point with maximum density 0.000734882 on grid. Using old location (11.25,4.75,0).
Could not find grid point with maximum density 0.000734882 on grid. Using old location (11.25,4.75,0).
INFO (NSTracker): New star location not set (11.25,4.75,0) because too far from old (0,12.625,0).
This is an easy fix, I expect, and I'd really appreciate a hint.
Maria
_______________________
Maria C. Babiuc Hamilton, Ph.D.
Professor, Department of Physics
College of Science, Marshall University,
1 John Marshall Drive, Huntington, WV, 25755
Room S 257, Phone: (304)696-2754
Hello all,
to coordinate Simulation Factory development and focus efforts in areas
that are both used and in need of improvement we would like to collect
a snapshot of how Simulation Factory is currently being used.
At your convenience, please consider participating in this
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf3RzB_o8Y8fIdwZOPoWJyKp9jvV2tIvom…
survey. We will report on the survey's results in the ET call on
February 25th 2021.
Yours,
Roland
--
My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting
and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://pgp.mit.edu .
Present: Roland H., Peter D., Bill G., Atul K., Ken S., David B., Steve B., Sam C., Karim, Zach E., Maria H.
Chair: Peter D.
Minutes: Maria H.
* SPECv8:
* Roland will provide Steve with a thorn list
* Steve will try and construct a basic Makefile
* NRPy+ LaTeX interpreter update
* Ken S. and Zach E. present new development on the interpreter, included in the Tutorial-Latex_Parser_Interface notebook.
* Some discussion on how the equations are parsed
* Steve requests a Hello World example for the Science Gateway conference, suggests publication to SQG (?), points out that is a very good teaching tool and could be used as a tool for research
* Updates for next release:
* Zach made a TOTO list at
https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/Release_Details
* Unanswered questions on email:
* Peter said is about Science Gateway, and directs it to Zach and Ken.
* Open Tickets Urgent/for Review :
* Roland has started to review, waits for student to finish run McLaughlun &Llama.
* Roland: nothing else urgent.
* Any remaining question:
* Atul asks when to start running the tests for upcoming release.
* Can start now, Steve will update the wiki with the answer. Some discussion on whether this has been done with GRHydro.
* Next meeting: Minute taker:Atul. Chair: Steve
Maria
_______________________
Maria C. Babiuc Hamilton, Ph.D.
Professor, Department of Physics
College of Science, Marshall University,
1 John Marshall Drive, Huntington, WV, 25755
Room S 257, Phone: (304)696-2754
________________________________
From: Roland Haas
Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2021 10:10 AM
To: Hamilton, Maria
Subject: meeting minutes for 2021-02-18
Present: Roland, Peter, Bill G., Atul, Ken, David, Steve, Sam, Karim,
Zach, Maria
SPECv8:
* Roland will provide Steve with a thorn list
* Steve will try and construct a basic Makefile
Yours,
Roland
--
My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting
and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://pgp.mit.edu .