-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1
Hello all,
I have the vague feeling that I have asked that before, but cannot find an actual discussion on this: should the @ENV(FOO)@ functionality in simfactory currently be usable? There is some code (in the ParseEnvCommands function) that would seem to handle it but from doing a grep on that function name, it does not actually seem to ever be called from within the simfactory main code.
I tried the attached (incorrect if Cactus was to actually parse it but we don't get that far) par file. Which tries various methods to get simfactory to expand @ENV(USER)@ into rhaas (in my case...) before handing the parfile to Cactus. However this does not happen and the strings all stay unexpanded.
Does anyone remember if @ENV(FOO)@ should work right now?
I do realize that I could either use Cactus' build in $ENV{FOO} to get the parfile parser to resolve the variable, but that requires that I pass the variable to the compute node and the PBS scripts in simfactory don't do that (I don't really want $USER but $LORENE_DATA_DIR). I could also use an rpar file (ie a python/perl script) and do the string manipulations in there, but if possible I'd limit the number of layers of modifications done to the script and stick to "stock options" since this is for an example parfile.
Yours, Roland
- -- My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://keys.gnupg.net.
On Fri, Feb 07, 2014 at 11:01:08AM -0800, Roland Haas wrote:
simfactory don't do that (I don't really want $USER but $LORENE_DATA_DIR). I could also use an rpar file (ie a python/perl
I am not sure about the specific question (simfactory), but couldn't you just set this in one of your shell-startup scripts, in which case it should be set for every job? Of course that would require that this is the same for all jobs, but the name suggests this somehow.
Frank
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1
Hello Frank,
I am not sure about the specific question (simfactory), but couldn't you just set this in one of your shell-startup scripts, in which case it should be set for every job? Of course that would require that this is the same for all jobs, but the name suggests this somehow.
Yes, this is what I currently do. If possible I would like to avoid this and have a self-contained parfile since the parfile is supposed to be an example (actually for the gallery) and I'd like it to work out of the box without users having to modify their environment permanently. Currently modifying .bashrc (or similar) seems to only option since even rpar (perl/python) scripts are executed on the compute node where the variable is no longer present, so they don't offer (for this) any advantage over the regular Cactus mechanism.
Yours, Roland
- -- My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://keys.gnupg.net.
@ENV(FOO)@ seems currently broken. I have a local patch that I am testing.
-erik
On Feb 7, 2014, at 14:16 , Roland Haas rhaas@tapir.caltech.edu wrote:
Signed PGP part Hello Frank,
I am not sure about the specific question (simfactory), but couldn't you just set this in one of your shell-startup scripts, in which case it should be set for every job? Of course that would require that this is the same for all jobs, but the name suggests this somehow.
Yes, this is what I currently do. If possible I would like to avoid this and have a self-contained parfile since the parfile is supposed to be an example (actually for the gallery) and I'd like it to work out of the box without users having to modify their environment permanently. Currently modifying .bashrc (or similar) seems to only option since even rpar (perl/python) scripts are executed on the compute node where the variable is no longer present, so they don't offer (for this) any advantage over the regular Cactus mechanism.
Yours, Roland
-- My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://keys.gnupg.net.
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Committed in r2269
-erik
On Feb 7, 2014, at 14:18 , Erik Schnetter schnetter@gmail.com wrote:
@ENV(FOO)@ seems currently broken. I have a local patch that I am testing.
-erik
On Feb 7, 2014, at 14:16 , Roland Haas rhaas@tapir.caltech.edu wrote:
Signed PGP part Hello Frank,
I am not sure about the specific question (simfactory), but couldn't you just set this in one of your shell-startup scripts, in which case it should be set for every job? Of course that would require that this is the same for all jobs, but the name suggests this somehow.
Yes, this is what I currently do. If possible I would like to avoid this and have a self-contained parfile since the parfile is supposed to be an example (actually for the gallery) and I'd like it to work out of the box without users having to modify their environment permanently. Currently modifying .bashrc (or similar) seems to only option since even rpar (perl/python) scripts are executed on the compute node where the variable is no longer present, so they don't offer (for this) any advantage over the regular Cactus mechanism.
Yours, Roland
-- My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://keys.gnupg.net.
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
-- Erik Schnetter schnetter@gmail.com http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/personal/eschnetter/
My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://pgp.mit.edu/.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1
Hello Erik,
Committed in r2269
This seems to work, it happens at submission time rather than run time which is what I needed. Thank you.
Yours, Roland
- -- My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://keys.gnupg.net.
users@lists.einsteintoolkit.org