Hello all,
I am getting odd compile errors on OSX using osx-homebrew.cfg (in master).
There seem to be two different errors right now:
* _mm_add_ps is not found (even though xmmintrin.h exists) * ranlib (it uses XCode's) complains about the .a files that it claims have no symbols. Forcing the use of ranlib from homebrew does not show the error but then I need to hard-code the full path since homebrew does not put ranlib in /usr/local/bin
I attach the make output (both types of errors are visible at the end).
A side node: to have remote commands work on OSX (ie remote compiling *on* my OSX laptop not from it) only works if I add "source /etc/profile" to my envsetup (otherwise /usr/local/bin is not added to $PATH it seems).
Has anyone seen these types of errors before and / or could point me to a "canonical" location for ranlib on OSX (rather than /usr/local/Cellar/binutils/2.30/x86_64-apple-darwin17.3.0/bin/ranlib)?
Yours, Roland
Hello all,
ok, one question I can possibly answer: the inrinsic _mm_hadd_ps is in /usr/local/Cellar/gcc//7.3.0/lib/gcc/7/gcc/x86_64-apple-darwin17.3.0/7.3.0/include/pmmintrin.h (not the "p") which is only included in x86intrin.h which vectors-4-SSE.h only includes if __FMA4__ is set.
However the line bringing _mm_add_ps into the code and the include for FM4 are very old (from 2013) so should not be to blame. The layout of files and includes also seem to be identical in both gcc 7 and gcc 6.
Yours, Roland
Hello all,
I am getting odd compile errors on OSX using osx-homebrew.cfg (in master).
There seem to be two different errors right now:
- _mm_add_ps is not found (even though xmmintrin.h exists)
- ranlib (it uses XCode's) complains about the .a files that it claims have no symbols. Forcing the use of ranlib from homebrew does not show the error but then I need to hard-code the full path since homebrew does not put ranlib in /usr/local/bin
I attach the make output (both types of errors are visible at the end).
A side node: to have remote commands work on OSX (ie remote compiling *on* my OSX laptop not from it) only works if I add "source /etc/profile" to my envsetup (otherwise /usr/local/bin is not added to $PATH it seems).
Has anyone seen these types of errors before and / or could point me to a "canonical" location for ranlib on OSX (rather than /usr/local/Cellar/binutils/2.30/x86_64-apple-darwin17.3.0/bin/ranlib)?
Yours, Roland
The intrinsic _mm_add_ps should always be available. _mm_hadd_ps (different spelling!), on the other hand, is only available if SSE3 is available.
This should be corrected by < https://bitbucket.org/cactuscode/cactusutils/pull-requests/14/vectors-check-...
.
-erik
On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 2:11 PM, Roland Haas rhaas@illinois.edu wrote:
Hello all,
ok, one question I can possibly answer: the inrinsic _mm_hadd_ps is in /usr/local/Cellar/gcc//7.3.0/lib/gcc/7/gcc/x86_64-apple- darwin17.3.0/7.3.0/include/pmmintrin.h (not the "p") which is only included in x86intrin.h which vectors-4-SSE.h only includes if __FMA4__ is set.
However the line bringing _mm_add_ps into the code and the include for FM4 are very old (from 2013) so should not be to blame. The layout of files and includes also seem to be identical in both gcc 7 and gcc 6.
Yours, Roland
Hello all,
I am getting odd compile errors on OSX using osx-homebrew.cfg (in master).
There seem to be two different errors right now:
- _mm_add_ps is not found (even though xmmintrin.h exists)
- ranlib (it uses XCode's) complains about the .a files that it claims have no symbols. Forcing the use of ranlib from homebrew does not show the error but then I need to hard-code the full path since homebrew does not put ranlib in /usr/local/bin
I attach the make output (both types of errors are visible at the end).
A side node: to have remote commands work on OSX (ie remote compiling *on* my OSX laptop not from it) only works if I add "source /etc/profile" to my envsetup (otherwise /usr/local/bin is not added to $PATH it seems).
Has anyone seen these types of errors before and / or could point me to a "canonical" location for ranlib on OSX (rather than /usr/local/Cellar/binutils/2.30/x86_64-apple-darwin17.3.0/
bin/ranlib)?
Yours, Roland
-- My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://pgp.mit.edu .
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Hello Erik,
The intrinsic _mm_add_ps should always be available. _mm_hadd_ps (different spelling!), on the other hand, is only available if SSE3 is available.
Eieiei. Sorry about the spelling. I was quite clearly missing the "h" when doing my grep for include files.
With the commit in the branch I can indeed compile the vectors.h files (the ranlib issue still persists though they do no make the build fail. This may be a screwed up homebrew installation after updating to high siera).
On the other hand, I wonder if we really need to use ranlib in the first place. Shouldn't "ar" already take care of creating an index (on POSIX system which are the only ones we support anyway)? Setting RANLIB=true (or "ar s" if I want to be very sure) in osx-homebrew.cfg should be fine.
Yours, Roland
This should be corrected by < https://bitbucket.org/cactuscode/cactusutils/pull-requests/14/vectors-check-...
.
-erik
On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 2:11 PM, Roland Haas rhaas@illinois.edu wrote:
Hello all,
ok, one question I can possibly answer: the inrinsic _mm_hadd_ps is in /usr/local/Cellar/gcc//7.3.0/lib/gcc/7/gcc/x86_64-apple- darwin17.3.0/7.3.0/include/pmmintrin.h (not the "p") which is only included in x86intrin.h which vectors-4-SSE.h only includes if __FMA4__ is set.
However the line bringing _mm_add_ps into the code and the include for FM4 are very old (from 2013) so should not be to blame. The layout of files and includes also seem to be identical in both gcc 7 and gcc 6.
Yours, Roland
Hello all,
I am getting odd compile errors on OSX using osx-homebrew.cfg (in master).
There seem to be two different errors right now:
- _mm_add_ps is not found (even though xmmintrin.h exists)
- ranlib (it uses XCode's) complains about the .a files that it claims have no symbols. Forcing the use of ranlib from homebrew does not show the error but then I need to hard-code the full path since homebrew does not put ranlib in /usr/local/bin
I attach the make output (both types of errors are visible at the end).
A side node: to have remote commands work on OSX (ie remote compiling *on* my OSX laptop not from it) only works if I add "source /etc/profile" to my envsetup (otherwise /usr/local/bin is not added to $PATH it seems).
Has anyone seen these types of errors before and / or could point me to a "canonical" location for ranlib on OSX (rather than /usr/local/Cellar/binutils/2.30/x86_64-apple-darwin17.3.0/
bin/ranlib)?
Yours, Roland
-- My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://pgp.mit.edu .
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
I’m pretty sure you need to reinstall homebrew after an OS upgrade.
-erik
On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 16:20 Roland Haas roland.haas@physics.gatech.edu wrote:
Hello Erik,
The intrinsic _mm_add_ps should always be available. _mm_hadd_ps
(different
spelling!), on the other hand, is only available if SSE3 is available.
Eieiei. Sorry about the spelling. I was quite clearly missing the "h" when doing my grep for include files.
With the commit in the branch I can indeed compile the vectors.h files (the ranlib issue still persists though they do no make the build fail. This may be a screwed up homebrew installation after updating to high siera).
On the other hand, I wonder if we really need to use ranlib in the first place. Shouldn't "ar" already take care of creating an index (on POSIX system which are the only ones we support anyway)? Setting RANLIB=true (or "ar s" if I want to be very sure) in osx-homebrew.cfg should be fine.
Yours, Roland
This should be corrected by <
https://bitbucket.org/cactuscode/cactusutils/pull-requests/14/vectors-check-...
.
-erik
On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 2:11 PM, Roland Haas rhaas@illinois.edu wrote:
Hello all,
ok, one question I can possibly answer: the inrinsic _mm_hadd_ps is in /usr/local/Cellar/gcc//7.3.0/lib/gcc/7/gcc/x86_64-apple- darwin17.3.0/7.3.0/include/pmmintrin.h (not the "p") which is only included in x86intrin.h which vectors-4-SSE.h only includes if __FMA4__ is set.
However the line bringing _mm_add_ps into the code and the include for FM4 are very old (from 2013) so should not be to blame. The layout of files and includes also seem to be identical in both gcc 7 and gcc 6.
Yours, Roland
Hello all,
I am getting odd compile errors on OSX using osx-homebrew.cfg (in master).
There seem to be two different errors right now:
- _mm_add_ps is not found (even though xmmintrin.h exists)
- ranlib (it uses XCode's) complains about the .a files that it
claims
have no symbols. Forcing the use of ranlib from homebrew does not show the error but then I need to hard-code the full path since homebrew does not put ranlib in /usr/local/bin
I attach the make output (both types of errors are visible at the
end).
A side node: to have remote commands work on OSX (ie remote compiling *on* my OSX laptop not from it) only works if I add "source /etc/profile" to my envsetup (otherwise /usr/local/bin is not added to $PATH it seems).
Has anyone seen these types of errors before and / or could point me
to
a "canonical" location for ranlib on OSX (rather than /usr/local/Cellar/binutils/2.30/x86_64-apple-darwin17.3.0/
bin/ranlib)?
Yours, Roland
-- My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://pgp.mit.edu .
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
-- My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://pgp.mit.edu .
users@lists.einsteintoolkit.org