Hello Konrad,
To my understanding, it seems like the .cfg file has something wrong ( http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/pipermail/users/2018-February/006103.html - i.e. the num-smt of your cluster should be 2, that should mean hyper threading - NOTE: I could be wrong with that). Moreover, you should use --procs=24 when submitting (from my experience this flag should be interpreted as the number of mpi task, that should correspond to the physical cores).
I am only providing my experience, but for sure, some more experienced users/developers could drive you to the most correct answer.
Regards, Federico Cipolletta.
Il sab 3 lug 2021, 19:00 users-request@einsteintoolkit.org ha scritto:
Send Users mailing list submissions to users@einsteintoolkit.org
To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to users-request@einsteintoolkit.org
You can reach the person managing the list at users-owner@einsteintoolkit.org
When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than "Re: Contents of Users digest..."
Today's Topics:
- Submitting a simulation via simfactory on a cluster (Konrad Topolski)
Message: 1 Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 17:59:24 +0200 From: Konrad Topolski k.topolski2@student.uw.edu.pl Subject: [Users] Submitting a simulation via simfactory on a cluster To: users@einsteintoolkit.org Message-ID: < CAEx5SMHM6GszcaqE3_L0Rvx5+U29D6STMYH2d0PW777acyqrRA@mail.gmail.com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
Hi
I am trying to get things right setting up simfactory on my cluster. I have created the okeanos.ini and okeanos.cfg files, as well as built the Cactus executable that's called cactus_okeanos. First I want to debug the machine setup, then I hope to take care of the submission script.
To submit a job, I use: simfactory/bin/sim create-submit GW150914_4 --parfile par/GW150914/GW150914.rpar --walltime 24:00:00 --configuration=okeanos --machine=okeanos
The error I am getting is the following:
Warning: Too many threads per process specified: specified num-threads=48 (ppn-used is 24) Warning: Number of used cores per node, number of SMT threads, and number of threads per process are inconsistent: ppn-used=24, num-smt=1, num-threads=48_threads (ppn-used*num-smt must be an integer multiple of num-threads) Warning: Total number of threads and number of threads per process are inconsistent: procs=1, num-threads=48 (procs*num-smt must be an integer multiple of num-threads) Warning: Total number of threads and number of cores per node are inconsistent: procs=1, ppn-used=24 (procs must be an integer multiple of ppn-used)
The relevant part of my machine .ini file looks like this: cpu = Intel Xeon E5-2690 v3 cpufreq = 2.6 ppn = 24 # or more max-num-threads = 48 # or more num-threads = 48 # or more nodes = 1084 memory = 131072 #any node has 128GB ram min-ppn = 24 maxwalltime = 48:00:00
I know that each node in my cluster consists of 12 sockets for cpus, each cpu has two cores and each core supports multithreading (=2), so it's 12x2x2 = 48. What am I getting wrong?
Best regards Konrad Topolski
Hello all,
threading - NOTE: I could be wrong with that). Moreover, you should use --procs=24 when submitting (from my experience this flag should be interpreted as the number of mpi task, that should correspond to the physical cores).
Not quite. --procs and its alternative --cores are the number of (logical) cores (cpus) to use. Technically it is the total number of software threads that will be started (and then somehow distribute themselves on processes and threads and nodes, cores, hyperthreads). See:
https://simfactory.bitbucket.io/simfactory2/userguide/processterminology.htm...
Simfactory does not let you specify the number of MPI ranks (processes, MPI knows nothing about hard or software threads).
Yours, Roland
users@lists.einsteintoolkit.org