Richard
You created a configuration with the non-default name "static_tov". (The default name would be "sim"). Therefore you need to specify this configuration name when you create and submit a simulation:
./simfactory/sim create-submit static_tov --configuration=static_tov --parfile=...
You will then have a configuration and a simulation with the same name; this does not matter. I usually have a single configuration "sim", and use this configuration for all my simulations.
-erik
On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 1:16 PM, Richard O'Shaughnessy oshaughn@gravity.phys.uwm.edu wrote:
Hi Erik
After a seemingly successful compile, I tried a simple single-cpu run (using
generic.sh submission) on my cluster head node. I believe this
installation is the release version; the only changes have been to the
optionlist and udb.pm. A similar configuration works on other machines
(i.e, my laptop, albeit with svn rather than release versions), but for some
reason not here. It's not creating the simulations directory at all.
Thoughts?
--- command-line
[oshaughn@hydra Cactus]$ ./simfactory/sim create-submit static_tov
--parfile=par/static_tov.par --procs=1 --walltime=8:0:0
Simulation Factory:
Configuration name(s) not specified -- using default configuration "sim"
Uncaught exception from user code:
Configuration "sim" contains no executable at ./simfactory/sim line
at ./simfactory/sim line 5216
main::get_executable() called at ./simfactory/sim line 1883
main::command_create('static_tov') called at ./simfactory/sim line
2955
main::command_create_submit('static_tov') called at ./simfactory/sim
line 452
Richard
The error message "no executable" indicates that your build didn't complete. There are probably problems with your compiler or linker options.
- All Cactus executables are stored in Cactus's "exe" directories.
What does "ls exe" say?
- Did you specify a different name for your configuration while
building? If so, you need to use the --configuration=... option when submitting the simulation.
- If you use the --debug or --profile flag while building, you also
need to specify it while submitting a simulation, since you'll need to use the debugging or profiling executable.
Ok. I'm simply trying to follow the EinsteinToolkit new user instructions on a new machine, as a test case, with one CPU.
- executables are made
[oshaughn@hydra Cactus]$ ls exe cactus_static_tov static_tov 2) I just changed udb.pm (see original email) The build command (which says it completed successfully) is [oshaughn@hydra Cactus]$ ./simfactory/sim build static_tov --thornlist=manifest/einsteintoolkit.th 3) I didn't specify any debugging options.
-erik
-- Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.edu http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/
Richard O'Shaughnessy oshaughn@gravity.phys.uwm.edu 462 Physics Building Phone: 414 229 6674 Center for Gravitation and Cosmology University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee 53211
Hi Erik,
Thanks -- I didn't realize I accidentally (and consistently!) was adding static_tov to the build command.
How does the build system work? It's obvious now that I can (for example) build wavetoy, static_tov, and ks-mclachlan at once, and run instances of each independently. But what about maintaining the source trees -- do I need to rebuild the name? Can I check if there are updates to a particular configuration's source tree? Is there any consistency enforced between configurations used on a local host and remote build (i.e., if I want to be sure I use the same code tag on each of many target clusters)?
-Richard PS: On a related note, are there submission scripts for condor's parallel universe?
On Oct 15, 2010, at 3:58 PM, Erik Schnetter wrote:
Richard
You created a configuration with the non-default name "static_tov". (The default name would be "sim"). Therefore you need to specify this configuration name when you create and submit a simulation:
./simfactory/sim create-submit static_tov --configuration=static_tov --parfile=...
You will then have a configuration and a simulation with the same name; this does not matter. I usually have a single configuration "sim", and use this configuration for all my simulations.
-erik
On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 1:16 PM, Richard O'Shaughnessy oshaughn@gravity.phys.uwm.edu wrote:
Hi Erik
After a seemingly successful compile, I tried a simple single-cpu run (using
generic.sh submission) on my cluster head node. I believe this
installation is the release version; the only changes have been to the
optionlist and udb.pm. A similar configuration works on other machines
(i.e, my laptop, albeit with svn rather than release versions), but for some
reason not here. It's not creating the simulations directory at all.
Thoughts?
--- command-line
[oshaughn@hydra Cactus]$ ./simfactory/sim create-submit static_tov
--parfile=par/static_tov.par --procs=1 --walltime=8:0:0
Simulation Factory:
Configuration name(s) not specified -- using default configuration "sim"
Uncaught exception from user code:
Configuration "sim" contains no executable at ./simfactory/sim line
at ./simfactory/sim line 5216
main::get_executable() called at ./simfactory/sim line 1883 main::command_create('static_tov') called at ./simfactory/sim line2955
main::command_create_submit('static_tov') called at ./simfactory/simline 452
Richard
The error message "no executable" indicates that your build didn't complete. There are probably problems with your compiler or linker options.
- All Cactus executables are stored in Cactus's "exe" directories.
What does "ls exe" say?
- Did you specify a different name for your configuration while
building? If so, you need to use the --configuration=... option when submitting the simulation.
- If you use the --debug or --profile flag while building, you also
need to specify it while submitting a simulation, since you'll need to use the debugging or profiling executable.
Ok. I'm simply trying to follow the EinsteinToolkit new user instructions on a new machine, as a test case, with one CPU.
- executables are made
[oshaughn@hydra Cactus]$ ls exe cactus_static_tov static_tov 2) I just changed udb.pm (see original email) The build command (which says it completed successfully) is [oshaughn@hydra Cactus]$ ./simfactory/sim build static_tov --thornlist=manifest/einsteintoolkit.th 3) I didn't specify any debugging options.
-erik
-- Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.edu http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/
Richard O'Shaughnessy oshaughn@gravity.phys.uwm.edu 462 Physics Building Phone: 414 229 6674 Center for Gravitation and Cosmology University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee 53211
-- Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.edu http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/
Richard O'Shaughnessy oshaughn@gravity.phys.uwm.edu 462 Physics Building Phone: 414 229 6674 Center for Gravitation and Cosmology University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee 53211
Richard
A cactus configuration is defined by its thorn list, i.e. by the set of thorns which it includes. You can compile more thorns into a configuration than you activate at run time. I usually have a single, large configuration containing many thorns, and activate a few of them at run time. I use the default name "sim" for this configuration.
(I also have a variant sim-debug with debugging enabled, which runs at reduced speeds, but contains more run-time checks to catch coding errors.)
Others prefer to have smaller configurations, and create a new configuration for each project or simulation. I can see that this is a good idea, since re-building my large configuration from scratch can take some time.
No, there is no consistency between configurations on different machines. We enforce consistency between source trees, but not configuration. However, I think this is a good idea. We could e.g. derive the configuration name from the thorn list, and replicate thorn lists to remote systems -- this would (in a way) ensure consistency. Of course, you then still need to ensure that a configuration is re-built whenever the thorn list or the source tree changes, which we don't do yet automatically.
We don't have submit scripts for Condor's Parallel Universe. Can you give us a pointer to details of this system?
-erik
On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Richard O'Shaughnessy oshaughn@gravity.phys.uwm.edu wrote:
Hi Erik, Thanks -- I didn't realize I accidentally (and consistently!) was adding static_tov to the build command. How does the build system work? It's obvious now that I can (for example) build wavetoy, static_tov, and ks-mclachlan at once, and run instances of each independently. But what about maintaining the source trees -- do I need to rebuild the name? Can I check if there are updates to a particular configuration's source tree? Is there any consistency enforced between configurations used on a local host and remote build (i.e., if I want to be sure I use the same code tag on each of many target clusters)? -Richard PS: On a related note, are there submission scripts for condor's parallel universe? On Oct 15, 2010, at 3:58 PM, Erik Schnetter wrote:
Richard
You created a configuration with the non-default name "static_tov". (The default name would be "sim"). Therefore you need to specify this configuration name when you create and submit a simulation:
./simfactory/sim create-submit static_tov --configuration=static_tov --parfile=...
You will then have a configuration and a simulation with the same name; this does not matter. I usually have a single configuration "sim", and use this configuration for all my simulations.
-erik
On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 1:16 PM, Richard O'Shaughnessy oshaughn@gravity.phys.uwm.edu wrote:
Hi Erik
After a seemingly successful compile, I tried a simple single-cpu run (using
generic.sh submission) on my cluster head node. I believe this
installation is the release version; the only changes have been to the
optionlist and udb.pm. A similar configuration works on other machines
(i.e, my laptop, albeit with svn rather than release versions), but for some
reason not here. It's not creating the simulations directory at all.
Thoughts?
--- command-line
[oshaughn@hydra Cactus]$ ./simfactory/sim create-submit static_tov
--parfile=par/static_tov.par --procs=1 --walltime=8:0:0
Simulation Factory:
Configuration name(s) not specified -- using default configuration "sim"
Uncaught exception from user code:
Configuration "sim" contains no executable at ./simfactory/sim line
at ./simfactory/sim line 5216
main::get_executable() called at ./simfactory/sim line 1883
main::command_create('static_tov') called at ./simfactory/sim line
2955
main::command_create_submit('static_tov') called at ./simfactory/sim
line 452
Richard
The error message "no executable" indicates that your build didn't
complete. There are probably problems with your compiler or linker
options.
- All Cactus executables are stored in Cactus's "exe" directories.
What does "ls exe" say?
- Did you specify a different name for your configuration while
building? If so, you need to use the --configuration=... option when
submitting the simulation.
- If you use the --debug or --profile flag while building, you also
need to specify it while submitting a simulation, since you'll need to
use the debugging or profiling executable.
Ok. I'm simply trying to follow the EinsteinToolkit new user instructions
on a new machine, as a test case, with one CPU.
- executables are made
[oshaughn@hydra Cactus]$ ls exe
cactus_static_tov static_tov
- I just changed udb.pm (see original email) The build command (which
says it completed successfully) is
[oshaughn@hydra Cactus]$ ./simfactory/sim build static_tov
--thornlist=manifest/einsteintoolkit.th
- I didn't specify any debugging options.
-erik
--
Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.edu http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/
Richard O'Shaughnessy oshaughn@gravity.phys.uwm.edu
462 Physics Building Phone: 414 229 6674
Center for Gravitation and Cosmology
University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee 53211
-- Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.edu http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/
Richard O'Shaughnessy oshaughn@gravity.phys.uwm.edu 462 Physics Building Phone: 414 229 6674 Center for Gravitation and Cosmology University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee 53211
Hi Erik,
Thanks for the breakdown.
With regard to condor, I know Duncan Brown at Syracuse has a working script 'condor_mpirun' that's GPL'd. I'm including a copy of a message that circulated to a LIGO software email list that describes how to run condor mpi jobs.
So you'd submit to a cluster with condor_submit <name-of-script-text-file-included-below> which would in turn call this script
See http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v7.4/2_9Parallel_Applications.html for a description of the underlying issues. I personally haven't used condor in parallel in a few years, but it was particularly convenient when I did. And it's the submission system I'll likely be using in the future.
-Richard
From: Duncan Brown dabrown@physics.syr.edu Date: October 6, 2010 8:35:36 AM CDT To: daswg@gravity.phys.uwm.edu, Vivien Raymond vivien@u.northwestern.edu Cc: Stuart Anderson anderson@ligo.caltech.edu, LDAS_ADMIN_ALL ldas_admin_all@ligo.caltech.edu Subject: Re: [DASWG] MPI jobs on LDG clusters Reply-To: daswg@gravity.phys.uwm.edu
Hi Vivien, On Oct 5, 2010, at 8:26 PM, Vivien Raymond wrote:
Thanks Stuart, I can now compile and run my jobs locally on ldas-pcdev1.ligo.caltech.edu. As far as I understand from Xavier, there is no way to condor_submit MPI jobs yet, is there?
On sugar-dev1.phy.syr.edu, you can use the installation of openmpi 1.2.5 installed in
/opt/condor/openmpi-1.2.5
You should be able to build and link your code against this without any problems. Once you've mpi-compiled, you can use the script below to run your job. Change
/path/to/your/mpiexecutable
as appropriate. Note, *don't* change executable, that has to be condor_mpirun. Change HOWMANYCORES to the appropriate integer. Dump the lines below into a condor .sub file (e.g. spinspiral.sub) and the condor_submit it as normal.
Let me know if you have problems. A similar thing should work at CIT (I'll have to point you to my condor_mpirun, as it's not installed system-wide) but let's try sugar first. There's may be some SpEC- specific stuff we have to iron out.
BTW, if you modify your code so that it exits gracefully and can resume after a SIGUSR2 the code can checkpoint on eviction (SpEC does this). If not, I'll just lock you on as many cores as you need and we can deal with this later.
Cheers, Duncan.
universe = parallel executable = /opt/condor/bin/condor_mpirun arguments = --verbose --stdout cluster$(CLUSTER).proc$(PROCESS).mpiout --stderr cluster$(CLUSTER).proc$(PROCESS).mpierr /path/to/your/ mpiexecutable machine_count = HOWMANYCORES log = cluster$(CLUSTER).proc$(PROCESS).log output = cluster$(CLUSTER).proc$(PROCESS).subproc$(NODE).out error = cluster$(CLUSTER).proc$(PROCESS).subproc$(NODE).err notification = Always on_exit_remove = (ExitBySignal == True) || (ExitCode != 143) rank = (40 - (2.0 * TotalCondorLoadAvg)) queue
--
Duncan Brown Room 263-1, Department of Physics, Assistant Professor of Physics Syracuse University, NY 13244, USA Phone: (315) 443 5993 http://www.gravity.phy.syr.edu/~duncan
------
On Oct 16, 2010, at 2:48 PM, Erik Schnetter wrote:
Richard
A cactus configuration is defined by its thorn list, i.e. by the set of thorns which it includes. You can compile more thorns into a configuration than you activate at run time. I usually have a single, large configuration containing many thorns, and activate a few of them at run time. I use the default name "sim" for this configuration.
(I also have a variant sim-debug with debugging enabled, which runs at reduced speeds, but contains more run-time checks to catch coding errors.)
Others prefer to have smaller configurations, and create a new configuration for each project or simulation. I can see that this is a good idea, since re-building my large configuration from scratch can take some time.
No, there is no consistency between configurations on different machines. We enforce consistency between source trees, but not configuration. However, I think this is a good idea. We could e.g. derive the configuration name from the thorn list, and replicate thorn lists to remote systems -- this would (in a way) ensure consistency. Of course, you then still need to ensure that a configuration is re-built whenever the thorn list or the source tree changes, which we don't do yet automatically.
We don't have submit scripts for Condor's Parallel Universe. Can you give us a pointer to details of this system?
-erik
On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Richard O'Shaughnessy oshaughn@gravity.phys.uwm.edu wrote:
Hi Erik, Thanks -- I didn't realize I accidentally (and consistently!) was adding static_tov to the build command. How does the build system work? It's obvious now that I can (for example) build wavetoy, static_tov, and ks-mclachlan at once, and run instances of each independently. But what about maintaining the source trees -- do I need to rebuild the name? Can I check if there are updates to a particular configuration's source tree? Is there any consistency enforced between configurations used on a local host and remote build (i.e., if I want to be sure I use the same code tag on each of many target clusters)? -Richard PS: On a related note, are there submission scripts for condor's parallel universe? On Oct 15, 2010, at 3:58 PM, Erik Schnetter wrote:
Richard
You created a configuration with the non-default name "static_tov". (The default name would be "sim"). Therefore you need to specify this configuration name when you create and submit a simulation:
./simfactory/sim create-submit static_tov --configuration=static_tov --parfile=...
You will then have a configuration and a simulation with the same name; this does not matter. I usually have a single configuration "sim", and use this configuration for all my simulations.
-erik
On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 1:16 PM, Richard O'Shaughnessy oshaughn@gravity.phys.uwm.edu wrote:
Hi Erik
After a seemingly successful compile, I tried a simple single-cpu run (using
generic.sh submission) on my cluster head node. I believe this
installation is the release version; the only changes have been to the
optionlist and udb.pm. A similar configuration works on other machines
(i.e, my laptop, albeit with svn rather than release versions), but for some
reason not here. It's not creating the simulations directory at all.
Thoughts?
--- command-line
[oshaughn@hydra Cactus]$ ./simfactory/sim create-submit static_tov
--parfile=par/static_tov.par --procs=1 --walltime=8:0:0
Simulation Factory:
Configuration name(s) not specified -- using default configuration "sim"
Uncaught exception from user code:
Configuration "sim" contains no executable at ./simfactory/sim line
at ./simfactory/sim line 5216
main::get_executable() called at ./simfactory/sim line 1883 main::command_create('static_tov') called at ./simfactory/sim line2955
main::command_create_submit('static_tov') called at ./simfactory/simline 452
Richard
The error message "no executable" indicates that your build didn't
complete. There are probably problems with your compiler or linker
options.
- All Cactus executables are stored in Cactus's "exe" directories.
What does "ls exe" say?
- Did you specify a different name for your configuration while
building? If so, you need to use the --configuration=... option when
submitting the simulation.
- If you use the --debug or --profile flag while building, you also
need to specify it while submitting a simulation, since you'll need to
use the debugging or profiling executable.
Ok. I'm simply trying to follow the EinsteinToolkit new user instructions
on a new machine, as a test case, with one CPU.
- executables are made
[oshaughn@hydra Cactus]$ ls exe
cactus_static_tov static_tov
- I just changed udb.pm (see original email) The build command (which
says it completed successfully) is
[oshaughn@hydra Cactus]$ ./simfactory/sim build static_tov
--thornlist=manifest/einsteintoolkit.th
- I didn't specify any debugging options.
-erik
--
Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.edu http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/
Richard O'Shaughnessy oshaughn@gravity.phys.uwm.edu
462 Physics Building Phone: 414 229 6674
Center for Gravitation and Cosmology
University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee 53211
-- Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.edu http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/
Richard O'Shaughnessy oshaughn@gravity.phys.uwm.edu 462 Physics Building Phone: 414 229 6674 Center for Gravitation and Cosmology University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee 53211
-- Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.edu http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/
Richard O'Shaughnessy oshaughn@gravity.phys.uwm.edu 462 Physics Building Phone: 414 229 6674 Center for Gravitation and Cosmology University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee 53211
users@lists.einsteintoolkit.org