Hello,
I am using the Marshall University BigGreen cluster to run a parameter file with 5 Carpet time levels, on a 200^3 spatial domain, starting with d(x,y,z)_coarse = 1, and dtfac = 0.03125.
The total necessary memory looks to be somewhere around 40 GB.
My aim is to run it up to t=200, but I have a time limit on cluster of 72 hours.
I was thinking, naively, that if I increase the number of processes, the run will go faster. However, this was not the case.
I did an experiment, where I used first 48 procs, then 96 procs, and in 72 hours, the 48 procs run stopped at t = 55.25, while the 96 procs run stopped ash 48.50.
That obviously did not work, so I tried next to decrease the time refinement.
For the same 48 procs, the run with bigger time step dtfac = 0.0625 stopped ash t = 54.17 after 72 hours.
I would very much appreciate if I can get an explanation of what is happening, and how to get to speed up the run, so that it will get finished in the time constraint of 72 hours that is imposed to me.
I am attaching the parameter file and the SLURM script I am using to run it.
thanks,
Maria?
_______________________ Dr. Maria C. Babiuc Hamilton Department of Physics Marshall University S257 Science Building Huntington, WV, 25755 Phone: (304)696-2754
Hello Maria,
I am using the Marshall University BigGreen cluster to run a parameter file with 5 Carpet time levels, on a 200^3 spatial domain, starting with d(x,y,z)_coarse = 1, and dtfac = 0.03125.
The total necessary memory looks to be somewhere around 40 GB.
My aim is to run it up to t=200, but I have a time limit on cluster of 72 hours.
You can run longer by checkpointing and recovering from the checkpoints. In fact Cactus / Simfactory will do so automatically for you if you ask for a runtime which is longer than the maxwalltime setting of your machine.
That obviously did not work, so I tried next to decrease the time refinement.
For the same 48 procs, the run with bigger time step dtfac = 0.0625 stopped ash t = 54.17 after 72 hours.
You usually cannot change the timestep and spatial resolution independently since our runs are limited by the Courant–Friedrichs–Lewy condition which links timestep and spatial resolution. So instead you should increase the spatial grid spacing (reduce the resolution) which would make the run go faster. Note that dtfac 0.03125 seems very small to me. Usually we end up with a dtfac of 0.25 - 0.4 depending on the timestepper used. Keep in mind that dtfac is the CFL factor for the coarsest level and that Carpet will automatically take smaller timesteps for the finer levels.
In your parfile, you would need to add:
IO::recover = "autoprobe" IO::checkpoint_on_terminate = "yes"
Yours, Roland
users@lists.einsteintoolkit.org