I can't seem to make the tov_ET simulation work. Every time it reaches a definite time during the simulation, the code reaches segmentation fault.
This is the terminal output
And this is the backtrace
1. CarpetLib::signal_handler(int) [/home/sam/simulations/tov_ET/SIMFACTORY/exe/cactus_sim(_ZN9CarpetLib14signa l_handlerEi+0xb3) [0x56013afdf833]]
2. /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(+0x46210) [0x7fbef30cd210]
3. /home/sam/anaconda3/lib/libgfortran.so.4(+0xf3c73) [0x7fbef3522c73]
4. /home/sam/anaconda3/lib/libgfortran.so.4(+0xf429e) [0x7fbef352329e]
5. /home/sam/anaconda3/lib/libgfortran.so.4(+0xf2900) [0x7fbef3521900]
6. /home/sam/simulations/tov_ET/SIMFACTORY/exe/cactus_sim(prim2conpolytype_+0x3 f6) [0x56013b464e06]
7. /home/sam/simulations/tov_ET/SIMFACTORY/exe/cactus_sim(+0xb9e28f) [0x56013b46628f]
8. /home/sam/anaconda3/lib/libgomp.so.1(GOMP_parallel+0x42) [0x7fbef329ce22]
9. /home/sam/simulations/tov_ET/SIMFACTORY/exe/cactus_sim(prim2conservativepoly type_+0x54f) [0x56013b472fef]
I'm using ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS on wsl2, with a previous installation it worked just fine. I also tried with different combination of cores and threads buti t doesn't seem to matter.
Hello silyx99,
I can't seem to make the tov_ET simulation work. Every time it reaches a definite time during the simulation, the code reaches segmentation fault.
SEGFAULTs can often mean you are running out of memory.
Though the tov_ET parfile uses very little memory for me: 200MiB (but does reserve quite a bit more memory as virtual memory, namely ~1GiB).
You may need to run "top" in a second bash window to see how much memory your run is using (you can type "e" to change units to more useful ones).
If you are actually running out of memory (which I kind of doubt, but who knows) then you can try increasing memory for WSL2.
Since wsl2 is a (thin) virtual machine it is limited by how much memory it can use.
Can you try if reserving more memory for the VM helps?
See
https://clay-atlas.com/us/blog/2021/08/31/windows-en-wsl-2-memory/
for how to do that.
I also noticed that the speed is a bit slower than expected with only ~71M/hr while my (old) workstation reaches ~1700M/hr.
For me the TOV
Yours, Roland
Hello, I've executed the top command and i'm reporting the output. As you can see Memory does never exceed 6.5%, i've already tried running the simulation after having allocated more memory (namely 2.5 GB) to the wsl system but the resulti s the same. By following the output log it seems the simulation reaches this problem at time 112.000
The odd thing is that the simulation was running fine on microsoft 11. Due to performance issues though i decided to roll back to the windows 10 version.
-----Messaggio originale----- Da: Roland Haas rhaas@illinois.edu Inviato: martedì 25 gennaio 2022 18:15 A: silyx99@gmail.com Cc: users@einsteintoolkit.org Oggetto: Re: [Users] Segmentation Fault when compiling the tutorial
Hello silyx99,
I can't seem to make the tov_ET simulation work. Every time it reaches a definite time during the simulation, the code reaches segmentation
fault. SEGFAULTs can often mean you are running out of memory.
Though the tov_ET parfile uses very little memory for me: 200MiB (but does reserve quite a bit more memory as virtual memory, namely ~1GiB).
You may need to run "top" in a second bash window to see how much memory your run is using (you can type "e" to change units to more useful ones).
If you are actually running out of memory (which I kind of doubt, but who knows) then you can try increasing memory for WSL2.
Since wsl2 is a (thin) virtual machine it is limited by how much memory it can use.
Can you try if reserving more memory for the VM helps?
See
https://clay-atlas.com/us/blog/2021/08/31/windows-en-wsl-2-memory/
for how to do that.
I also noticed that the speed is a bit slower than expected with only ~71M/hr while my (old) workstation reaches ~1700M/hr.
For me the TOV
Yours, Roland
-- My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://pgp.mit.edu .
When you rolled back your version of windows, did you recompile everything from scratch? If not, please do.
--Steve
On 1/25/2022 1:16 PM, silyx99@gmail.com wrote:
Hello, I've executed the top command and i'm reporting the output. As you can see Memory does never exceed 6.5%, i've already tried running the simulation after having allocated more memory (namely 2.5 GB) to the wsl system but the resulti s the same. By following the output log it seems the simulation reaches this problem at time 112.000
The odd thing is that the simulation was running fine on microsoft 11. Due to performance issues though i decided to roll back to the windows 10 version.
-----Messaggio originale----- Da: Roland Haas rhaas@illinois.edu Inviato: martedì 25 gennaio 2022 18:15 A: silyx99@gmail.com Cc: users@einsteintoolkit.org Oggetto: Re: [Users] Segmentation Fault when compiling the tutorial
Hello silyx99,
I can't seem to make the tov_ET simulation work. Every time it reaches a definite time during the simulation, the code reaches segmentation
fault. SEGFAULTs can often mean you are running out of memory.
Though the tov_ET parfile uses very little memory for me: 200MiB (but does reserve quite a bit more memory as virtual memory, namely ~1GiB).
You may need to run "top" in a second bash window to see how much memory your run is using (you can type "e" to change units to more useful ones).
If you are actually running out of memory (which I kind of doubt, but who knows) then you can try increasing memory for WSL2.
Since wsl2 is a (thin) virtual machine it is limited by how much memory it can use.
Can you try if reserving more memory for the VM helps?
See
https://clay-atlas.com/us/blog/2021/08/31/windows-en-wsl-2-memory/
for how to do that.
I also noticed that the speed is a bit slower than expected with only ~71M/hr while my (old) workstation reaches ~1700M/hr.
For me the TOV
Yours, Roland
-- My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://pgp.mit.edu .
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
I have successfully run the tutorial on Windows 10. So Windows 10
Just out of curiosity, what do you get if you run "!lscpu" in the notebook?
--Steve
On 1/25/2022 1:16 PM, silyx99@gmail.com wrote:
Hello, I've executed the top command and i'm reporting the output. As you can see Memory does never exceed 6.5%, i've already tried running the simulation after having allocated more memory (namely 2.5 GB) to the wsl system but the resulti s the same. By following the output log it seems the simulation reaches this problem at time 112.000
The odd thing is that the simulation was running fine on microsoft 11. Due to performance issues though i decided to roll back to the windows 10 version.
-----Messaggio originale----- Da: Roland Haas rhaas@illinois.edu Inviato: martedì 25 gennaio 2022 18:15 A: silyx99@gmail.com Cc: users@einsteintoolkit.org Oggetto: Re: [Users] Segmentation Fault when compiling the tutorial
Hello silyx99,
I can't seem to make the tov_ET simulation work. Every time it reaches a definite time during the simulation, the code reaches segmentation
fault. SEGFAULTs can often mean you are running out of memory.
Though the tov_ET parfile uses very little memory for me: 200MiB (but does reserve quite a bit more memory as virtual memory, namely ~1GiB).
You may need to run "top" in a second bash window to see how much memory your run is using (you can type "e" to change units to more useful ones).
If you are actually running out of memory (which I kind of doubt, but who knows) then you can try increasing memory for WSL2.
Since wsl2 is a (thin) virtual machine it is limited by how much memory it can use.
Can you try if reserving more memory for the VM helps?
See
https://clay-atlas.com/us/blog/2021/08/31/windows-en-wsl-2-memory/
for how to do that.
I also noticed that the speed is a bit slower than expected with only ~71M/hr while my (old) workstation reaches ~1700M/hr.
For me the TOV
Yours, Roland
-- My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://pgp.mit.edu .
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
By the way it appears your email got interrupted, i didn't recieve the continuation after "For me the TOV"
-----Messaggio originale----- Da: Roland Haas rhaas@illinois.edu Inviato: martedì 25 gennaio 2022 18:15 A: silyx99@gmail.com Cc: users@einsteintoolkit.org Oggetto: Re: [Users] Segmentation Fault when compiling the tutorial
Hello silyx99,
I can't seem to make the tov_ET simulation work. Every time it reaches a definite time during the simulation, the code reaches segmentation
fault. SEGFAULTs can often mean you are running out of memory.
Though the tov_ET parfile uses very little memory for me: 200MiB (but does reserve quite a bit more memory as virtual memory, namely ~1GiB).
You may need to run "top" in a second bash window to see how much memory your run is using (you can type "e" to change units to more useful ones).
If you are actually running out of memory (which I kind of doubt, but who knows) then you can try increasing memory for WSL2.
Since wsl2 is a (thin) virtual machine it is limited by how much memory it can use.
Can you try if reserving more memory for the VM helps?
See
https://clay-atlas.com/us/blog/2021/08/31/windows-en-wsl-2-memory/
for how to do that.
I also noticed that the speed is a bit slower than expected with only ~71M/hr while my (old) workstation reaches ~1700M/hr.
For me the TOV
Yours, Roland
-- My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://pgp.mit.edu .
users@lists.einsteintoolkit.org