Hi,
before the Chandrasekhar release I contacted all the authors of the cactus thorn PunctureTracker about potentially include it in the Einstein Toolkit. For those who don't know, this thorn (as it's name implies) tracks the location of the punctures which can then be used to move the mesh refinement regions around. It does so simply by shift-advecting the puncture location. The main advantages of using this instead of tracking the black hole location using the apparent horizon centroid is 1) that it doesn't rely on being able to find the apparent horizon and 2) it converts the apparent horizon finder back to being a pure analysis function.
I'm sending this e-mail now to gauge whether the rest of the Einstein Toolkit community is interested in this capability. We can discuss this on the mailing list and/or telecons.
Cheers,
Peter
Hi,
On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 09:49:28AM -0600, Peter Diener wrote:
I'm sending this e-mail now to gauge whether the rest of the Einstein Toolkit community is interested in this capability.
I am just speaking for me: this thorn would without question be a valuable addition to the toolkit. Thanks to all the authors to make it available freely. I recommend to include it into the ET.
Frank
On 6 Dec 2010, at 16:53, Frank Loeffler wrote:
Hi,
On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 09:49:28AM -0600, Peter Diener wrote:
I'm sending this e-mail now to gauge whether the rest of the Einstein Toolkit community is interested in this capability.
I am just speaking for me: this thorn would without question be a valuable addition to the toolkit. Thanks to all the authors to make it available freely. I recommend to include it into the ET.
If people want to take a look, you can check it out using
svn checkout http://svn.aei.mpg.de/numrel/AEIThorns/PunctureTracker/trunk PunctureTracker
Hello all,
I'm sending this e-mail now to gauge whether the rest of the Einstein Toolkit community is interested in this capability. We can discuss this on the mailing list and/or telecons.
I am interested. GT is using a similar thorn so it seems useful to me to have it present in the toolkit.
Yours, Roland
It has my vote for including it.
Cheers, Bruno.
Peter Diener wrote:
Hi,
before the Chandrasekhar release I contacted all the authors of the cactus thorn PunctureTracker about potentially include it in the Einstein Toolkit. For those who don't know, this thorn (as it's name implies) tracks the location of the punctures which can then be used to move the mesh refinement regions around. It does so simply by shift-advecting the puncture location. The main advantages of using this instead of tracking the black hole location using the apparent horizon centroid is 1) that it doesn't rely on being able to find the apparent horizon and 2) it converts the apparent horizon finder back to being a pure analysis function.
I'm sending this e-mail now to gauge whether the rest of the Einstein Toolkit community is interested in this capability. We can discuss this on the mailing list and/or telecons.
Cheers,
Peter _______________________________________________ Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Peter Diener wrote:
I'm sending this e-mail now to gauge whether the rest of the Einstein Toolkit community is interested in this capability. We can discuss this on the mailing list and/or telecons.
Such functionality has proven quite useful so it has my vote as well for including the thorn.
Cheers, Tanja
users@lists.einsteintoolkit.org