Hello Hassan,
using create-run is likely not the best way to run these simulations. Create-run is really intended for interactive use and will output stdout and stderr to screen and never to a file (which is why there are no *.out and *.err files).
The command to use to run production simulations is "create-submit" (or just "submit") which will start the simulation in the background.
I cannot really make a good guess as to why the simulation ran faster / slower using the options given as there are usually too many things interacting.
Looking at the RunScript files nothing seems to be obviously wrong, though OpenMPI's core binding could affect things. Please see https://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=tuning#using-paffinity-v1.6 for a description of the options available. Usually you will want something like --bind-to-socket or --bind-to-none (with the exact name of the option depending a bit on the OpenMPI version used).
I am also not sure (without seeing at least the out files and possibly the ini files for the machine) how many threads / MPI ranks were used without the --num-threads option. If it ended up using just threads and a single MPI ranks then a speed difference of 2 or so is not unlikely.
Are you running this on a Mac or a Linux box?
Yours, Roland
Dear Roland, sorry for the delay. I could resume the simulation, doing based on your suggestion to add a line for jobid, but =999985 nor =999999. The *.err and *.out are still missing. Please find the files attached.
Here is the script I used to run the simulation
./simfactory/bin/sim create-run the-last-one \ --parfile=par/bbh-2res-1mass-10sep-final.par --ppn-used=56 --num-threads=14 --num-smt=2
There is another problem besides this. In the script line above, I used ppn-used=56 and procs=56 before and the "htop" was showing that all 56 threads are being used 100%. but when I changed to what is written in the above line ( --ppn-used=56 --num-threads=14 --num-smt=2 ), the "htop" was showing that only a portion of cores are being used and non was performing on 100%, however, the simulation was *running faster more than fourfold. * I am still confused about specifying the number of cores.
Bests, Hassan
On Thu, 3 Oct 2019 at 19:13, Haas, Roland rhaas@illinois.edu wrote:
Hello Hassan, Erik,
does this issue still persist? Since there are no *.out and no *.err file, would you mind providing a list of the files that are present?
Ie the output of somehing like:
ls -lR /home/cosmo/simulations/the-last-one/output-0001/
as well as the simfactory log file (home/cosmo/simulations/the-last-one/log.txt), please?
Note that the files should always be saved. There names are given in the SubmitScript (exactly how depends on the queuing system used, it may be good if you could include the file SubmitScript and RunScript as well).
Yours, Roland
Dear Erik, Thank you for your reply, but there are not *.out or *.err files in the output directory or anywhere else. Was there an option that I have had to activate that to save these files?
Hassan
On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 at 21:54, Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.edu
wrote:
Hassan
The last lines of the simulation output might not include the error message. There should be two files in the output directory, one ending in *.out, the other ending in *.err. The latter might have an actual error message.
To see whether all cores are used, you can look at the startup output of Carpet. This would be near the beginning of the *.out file above (within the first 1000 lines or so). To get more detailed output, you can activate the thorn "SystemTopology" in your parameter file. This will provide more details regarding cores and threads in your output.
-erik
On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 12:19 PM Hassan Khalvati <
hassan.kh92@gmail.com>
wrote:
Dear All, I had a simulation running for nearly 5 days and it stops today with
no
reason, no errors, and no termination.
the first thing I need help with is that I can not find the cause
that
the simulation has been stopped. The last lines during the simulation
have
been attached as a text file.
The second problem is that I can not restart from the checkpoint.
there
is an error :
./simfactory/bin/sim submit the-last-one
--parfile=par/bbh-2res-1mass-10sep-final.par --procs=56
Error: job id is negative Aborting Simfactory.
I looked up in email archives, and I did what Roland has suggested,
to
add a line for jobid, (jobid = 999999) in the properties.ini file, but
I
am still getting errors
./simfactory/bin/sim submit the-last-one
--parfile=par/bbh-2res-1mass-10sep-final.par --procs=56
Warning: job status is U Warning: job status is U Assigned restart id: 1 Warning: Too many used cores per node specified: specified
ppn-used=56
(ppn is 28)
Executing submit command: exec nohup
/home/cosmo/simulations/the-last-one/output-0001/SIMFACTORY/SubmitScript <
/dev/null > /dev/null 2> /dev/null & echo $!
Submit finished, job id is 8907
I changed the lines in the properties.ini file for procs, and again
getting error
./simfactory/bin/sim submit the-last-one
--parfile=par/bbh-2res-1mass-10sep-final.par
Assigned restart id: 1 Executing submit command: exec nohup
/home/cosmo/simulations/the-last-one/output-0001/SIMFACTORY/SubmitScript <
/dev/null > /dev/null 2> /dev/null & echo $!
Submit finished, job id is 10517
And finally, I am confused about the option for the "ppn, procs,
and
..." numbers in the Simfactory. I have attached my CPU information. It
is a
double 14 core Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680, with 2 threads per core. my
submission
command was:
./simfactory/bin/sim create-run the-last-one
--parfile=par/bbh-2res-1mass-10sep-final.par --procs=56
--ppn-used=56
but in the properties.ini file, it is mentioned that: numprocs = 4 nodeprocs = 4 numthreads = 14 I have also attached the properties.ini file. Is it using only 4
cores?
I looked up in the Simfactory docs, and also ET's wiki. I can not get a clear picture of how the option of the number of processors works.
However,
with the same command line, I have mentioned above, --procs=56 --ppn-used=56, the simulation was performing well, I want to know if
it is
using total number of processors on my system or not. I would be
grateful
if anyone could help me with each of these issues.
Attachments are: parameter file, properties.ini, simulation-last-lines, CPU info, and the log.txt file.
Sincerely, Hassan
--
Hassan Khalvati Sharif University of Technology, Tehran Hassan.Khalvati@physics.sharif.edu Hassan.kh92@gmail.com
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
-- Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.edu http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/personal/eschnetter/
-- My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://pgp.mit.edu .
users@lists.einsteintoolkit.org