Hi,
Some of you probably know that there is an Einstein Toolkit / Cactus channel #cactus on irc.oftc.net (see [1]). It was used for some time [2], and I rather liked the idea. However, it has gone stale lately.
What is the general feeling about it? Is it worth keeping? It is not much effort doing so, but it is not a good idea to advertise it on the web if it is so under-used.
Frank
[1] http://einsteintoolkit.org/community/support/ [2] https://svn.cactuscode.org/irc-logs/stats/stats.cgi
I liked it! but no one seems to use it. I would give it a try again...
Cheers, Bruno.
Frank Loeffler wrote:
Hi,
Some of you probably know that there is an Einstein Toolkit / Cactus channel #cactus on irc.oftc.net (see [1]). It was used for some time [2], and I rather liked the idea. However, it has gone stale lately.
What is the general feeling about it? Is it worth keeping? It is not much effort doing so, but it is not a good idea to advertise it on the web if it is so under-used.
Frank
[1] http://einsteintoolkit.org/community/support/ [2] https://svn.cactuscode.org/irc-logs/stats/stats.cgi
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Likewise -- the main thing is I think I need to put an IRC client in my startup, so that I am always in there :)
-Ashley Zebrowski
On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Bruno Coutinho Mundim bcmsma@astro.rit.edu wrote:
I liked it! but no one seems to use it. I would give it a try again...
Cheers, Bruno.
Frank Loeffler wrote:
Hi,
Some of you probably know that there is an Einstein Toolkit / Cactus channel #cactus on irc.oftc.net (see [1]). It was used for some time [2], and I rather liked the idea. However, it has gone stale lately.
What is the general feeling about it? Is it worth keeping? It is not much effort doing so, but it is not a good idea to advertise it on the web if it is so under-used.
Frank
[1] http://einsteintoolkit.org/community/support/ [2] https://svn.cactuscode.org/irc-logs/stats/stats.cgi
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
On 10 Nov 2011, at 20:11, Bruno Coutinho Mundim wrote:
I liked it! but no one seems to use it. I would give it a try again...
My problem was that I didn't find an easy way to have it connect automatically - I was using Adium in Mac OS. Adium is a multi-protocol chat program, so some of the way it works doesn't fit very naturally with IRC, but I didn't want to run a separate program.
Some Adium hints for IRC:
* Join the channel #cactus on irc.oftc.net (see http://adium.im/help/pgs/ServiceInformation-IRCSupport.html)
* Bookmark the chat by using the toolbar button in the chat window (you might have to enable this button by right-clicking on the toolbar and clicking "Customize toolbar...". This makes the chat show up in the contact list so you can access it easily.
* If you want to be permanently in the channel, you probably want to join the chat when you connect. Right click the #cactus bookmark in the contact list and choose 'Get Info' (or use cmd-I). Choose the rightmost tab at the top of this window and select "Bookmark: automatically join on connect". You probably also want "Always show this contact".
It would be nice to have the channel joined and messages logged even if the chat window was closed, but this doesn't seem to be possible in the currently released version (http://trac.adium.im/ticket/12068). Until this is implemented, I plan to just minimize the window.
If the chat window is not in the foreground, the dock icon will indicate if anyone says your name in the chat. The contact list will show if there are any unread messages in the channel.
Cheers, Bruno.
Frank Loeffler wrote:
Hi,
Some of you probably know that there is an Einstein Toolkit / Cactus channel #cactus on irc.oftc.net (see [1]). It was used for some time [2], and I rather liked the idea. However, it has gone stale lately.
What is the general feeling about it? Is it worth keeping? It is not much effort doing so, but it is not a good idea to advertise it on the web if it is so under-used.
Frank
[1] http://einsteintoolkit.org/community/support/ [2] https://svn.cactuscode.org/irc-logs/stats/stats.cgi
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 9:07 PM, Ian Hinder ian.hinder@aei.mpg.de wrote:
My problem was that I didn't find an easy way to have it connect automatically - I was using Adium in Mac OS. Adium is a multi-protocol chat program, so some of the way it works doesn't fit very naturally with IRC, but I didn't want to run a separate program.
In the past, the best IRC client I could find for OSX was Colloquy [http:// http://colloquy.info/]. It's not perfect, but I remember it being quite good in the past.I know you would rather not run a separate IRC client, but Adium really isn't an ideal solution right now, so you might find it better using Colloquy. You can also then hide the chat window (Cmd+H) rather than minimizing it.
It would be nice to have the channel joined and messages logged even if the
chat window was closed, but this doesn't seem to be possible in the currently released version (http://trac.adium.im/ticket/12068). Until this is implemented, I plan to just minimize the window.
For message logs, you can always just look at the logs on the Cactus website.
Another thing which might be useful would be to have commit messages automatically posted to IRC whenever a commit is made.
Barry
On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 6:37 PM, Barry Wardell barry.wardell@aei.mpg.de wrote:
On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 9:07 PM, Ian Hinder ian.hinder@aei.mpg.de wrote:
My problem was that I didn't find an easy way to have it connect automatically - I was using Adium in Mac OS. Adium is a multi-protocol chat program, so some of the way it works doesn't fit very naturally with IRC, but I didn't want to run a separate program.
In the past, the best IRC client I could find for OSX was Colloquy [http://http://colloquy.info/]. It's not perfect, but I remember it being quite good in the past.I know you would rather not run a separate IRC client, but Adium really isn't an ideal solution right now,
I'm using Adium (on a Mac), and I'm happy with it.
-erik
users@lists.einsteintoolkit.org