Hello all,
I have seen a few Thorns with a lot of test data files committed to the svn repository. I was wondering if that is really necessary. Committing only the parameter file that generates all those data files seems more natural to me and avoids unnecessary network traffic whenever we update the thorns. Besides it is cleaner and easier to spot what was really changed/updated. What do you think? Should we adopt as best practice not committing the data files themselves? and commit only the test suite parameter files?
If the concern is only to keep the commit emails small, then one could set the mime-type property of the files to binary before they are committed (see http://stackoverflow.com/questions/73797/how-do-i-tell-subversion-to-treat-a...).
svn propset svn:mime-type application/octet-stream filename.extension
Suversion then no longer includes diffs in the commit emails for this file. This helps quite a bit when committing testsuite output.
Yours, Roland
On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 07:48:41AM -0400, Roland Haas wrote:
If the concern is only to keep the commit emails small, then one could set the mime-type property of the files to binary before they are committed (see
I would not set the mime type to something a file isn't. If a file is ASCII, it is ASCII. Don't pretend it is binary. The commit message diffs should be limited to a certain size. That is easy to do (where I could I did that myself), and I have a ticket open to limit it where I didn't have permissions to do this. I believe that this is the right way.
Frank
users@lists.einsteintoolkit.org