This may seem like a fussy point, but what is the correct abbreviation for Einstein Toolkit? Is it ET or ETK? I've seen both used (and I'm partial to ETK myself).
Cheers, Steve
Hi,
On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 08:44:05AM -0500, Steven R. Brandt wrote:
This may seem like a fussy point, but what is the correct abbreviation for Einstein Toolkit? Is it ET or ETK? I've seen both used (and I'm partial to ETK myself).
I like ET more (despite the extra terrestrial). We also already use ET_* for our release tags.
Frank
Since we also have CCTK (Cactus Computational ToolKit), shouldn't it be EATK (Einstein Astrophysics ToolKit)?
-erik
On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Frank Loeffler knarf@cct.lsu.edu wrote:
Hi,
On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 08:44:05AM -0500, Steven R. Brandt wrote:
This may seem like a fussy point, but what is the correct abbreviation for Einstein Toolkit? Is it ET or ETK? I've seen both used (and I'm partial to ETK myself).
I like ET more (despite the extra terrestrial). We also already use ET_* for our release tags.
Frank
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)
iQIcBAEBCAAGBQJPvjvMAAoJEOkzpip+I59kEFUP/R7ss/llrjKRlyTJ+DWfEhnc RRRuQBPTCpmQx3i6VmUvL8KGtSg6ZlAcGTHPD6PNUXmlxNWB7u05ZcWLhWAFne0Y tdWQI7FUA8Hw+yKPfWoYUktfc0o34xWe/KY1+Zr5J7krzW9/l1CVmuBsnGiDk8TK xC/LoDcYN1EnertjuCc9C24QbLthqgm9F86uTDyH1PRYZmfokf3l1M1MOOrk2Mqy ZGujBmbNe0Iw6hMmYMrwSZ6qRIz4HZVDuMs5CItN1A8GsI96+v6LS/JgCSR3ula1 O+dhQlXYC3kuN+BwUmKSbu+KhtNlKGohgv3vhR3cmYnTWJiIOtwAhG+4JyXgKd4M KQUdCjqKwv47xaGKuxhlZ1b/d22N6G+7vvnelOdip9kosrkWJmfaRyp8iMSGv6xL j/OPc9NdkosHh2Xw6iVi4igsRE4f2yYDsBsLqpxNJE5FmATlBHgJhbvR159GwIAW K7Zsu/dO5+VLwWaFT9SGbhOfAoXNt7XrgIKDz933f3RWHzLw/2epUTFnieARAaGJ VxVYBurrozF4twMRy0t7KWHiKyANodzSc9HElcrOubkE0cDcesfBc5vR0pOs0/mR aEQo7QwUjYsvHyDpmCPLLAzSASsHnvAqM2h+M8Z7ySDnjPDwm4Bg1fl4JsqnpsuH SMsnp3XVDZ6iO009ZoyO =S7ke -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
On 24 May 2012, at 15:49, Erik Schnetter wrote:
Since we also have CCTK (Cactus Computational ToolKit), shouldn't it be EATK (Einstein Astrophysics ToolKit)?
And leave the cosmologists out in the cold?
I always wince when I see "ETK", since "toolkit" is one word, not two (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/toolkit?s=t). I think ET is used much more frequently than ETK, and while this does conflict with the Einstein Telescope, hopefully it is clear from the context (just like it's clear that we're not talking about little brown men!)
-erik
On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Frank Loeffler knarf@cct.lsu.edu wrote:
Hi,
On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 08:44:05AM -0500, Steven R. Brandt wrote:
This may seem like a fussy point, but what is the correct abbreviation for Einstein Toolkit? Is it ET or ETK? I've seen both used (and I'm partial to ETK myself).
I like ET more (despite the extra terrestrial). We also already use ET_* for our release tags.
Frank
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)
iQIcBAEBCAAGBQJPvjvMAAoJEOkzpip+I59kEFUP/R7ss/llrjKRlyTJ+DWfEhnc RRRuQBPTCpmQx3i6VmUvL8KGtSg6ZlAcGTHPD6PNUXmlxNWB7u05ZcWLhWAFne0Y tdWQI7FUA8Hw+yKPfWoYUktfc0o34xWe/KY1+Zr5J7krzW9/l1CVmuBsnGiDk8TK xC/LoDcYN1EnertjuCc9C24QbLthqgm9F86uTDyH1PRYZmfokf3l1M1MOOrk2Mqy ZGujBmbNe0Iw6hMmYMrwSZ6qRIz4HZVDuMs5CItN1A8GsI96+v6LS/JgCSR3ula1 O+dhQlXYC3kuN+BwUmKSbu+KhtNlKGohgv3vhR3cmYnTWJiIOtwAhG+4JyXgKd4M KQUdCjqKwv47xaGKuxhlZ1b/d22N6G+7vvnelOdip9kosrkWJmfaRyp8iMSGv6xL j/OPc9NdkosHh2Xw6iVi4igsRE4f2yYDsBsLqpxNJE5FmATlBHgJhbvR159GwIAW K7Zsu/dO5+VLwWaFT9SGbhOfAoXNt7XrgIKDz933f3RWHzLw/2epUTFnieARAaGJ VxVYBurrozF4twMRy0t7KWHiKyANodzSc9HElcrOubkE0cDcesfBc5vR0pOs0/mR aEQo7QwUjYsvHyDpmCPLLAzSASsHnvAqM2h+M8Z7ySDnjPDwm4Bg1fl4JsqnpsuH SMsnp3XVDZ6iO009ZoyO =S7ke -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
-- Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.edu http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/personal/eschnetter/ _______________________________________________ Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Clearly we need an FAQ for the ET, where this would be the first question.
-erik
On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 10:20 AM, Ian Hinder ian.hinder@aei.mpg.de wrote:
On 24 May 2012, at 15:49, Erik Schnetter wrote:
Since we also have CCTK (Cactus Computational ToolKit), shouldn't it be EATK (Einstein Astrophysics ToolKit)?
And leave the cosmologists out in the cold?
I always wince when I see "ETK", since "toolkit" is one word, not two (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/toolkit?s=t). I think ET is used much more frequently than ETK, and while this does conflict with the Einstein Telescope, hopefully it is clear from the context (just like it's clear that we're not talking about little brown men!)
-erik
On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Frank Loeffler knarf@cct.lsu.edu wrote:
Hi,
On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 08:44:05AM -0500, Steven R. Brandt wrote:
This may seem like a fussy point, but what is the correct abbreviation for Einstein Toolkit? Is it ET or ETK? I've seen both used (and I'm partial to ETK myself).
I like ET more (despite the extra terrestrial). We also already use ET_* for our release tags.
Frank
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)
iQIcBAEBCAAGBQJPvjvMAAoJEOkzpip+I59kEFUP/R7ss/llrjKRlyTJ+DWfEhnc RRRuQBPTCpmQx3i6VmUvL8KGtSg6ZlAcGTHPD6PNUXmlxNWB7u05ZcWLhWAFne0Y tdWQI7FUA8Hw+yKPfWoYUktfc0o34xWe/KY1+Zr5J7krzW9/l1CVmuBsnGiDk8TK xC/LoDcYN1EnertjuCc9C24QbLthqgm9F86uTDyH1PRYZmfokf3l1M1MOOrk2Mqy ZGujBmbNe0Iw6hMmYMrwSZ6qRIz4HZVDuMs5CItN1A8GsI96+v6LS/JgCSR3ula1 O+dhQlXYC3kuN+BwUmKSbu+KhtNlKGohgv3vhR3cmYnTWJiIOtwAhG+4JyXgKd4M KQUdCjqKwv47xaGKuxhlZ1b/d22N6G+7vvnelOdip9kosrkWJmfaRyp8iMSGv6xL j/OPc9NdkosHh2Xw6iVi4igsRE4f2yYDsBsLqpxNJE5FmATlBHgJhbvR159GwIAW K7Zsu/dO5+VLwWaFT9SGbhOfAoXNt7XrgIKDz933f3RWHzLw/2epUTFnieARAaGJ VxVYBurrozF4twMRy0t7KWHiKyANodzSc9HElcrOubkE0cDcesfBc5vR0pOs0/mR aEQo7QwUjYsvHyDpmCPLLAzSASsHnvAqM2h+M8Z7ySDnjPDwm4Bg1fl4JsqnpsuH SMsnp3XVDZ6iO009ZoyO =S7ke -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
-- Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.edu http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/personal/eschnetter/ _______________________________________________ Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
-- Ian Hinder http://numrel.aei.mpg.de/people/hinder
Richard Stallman called: he says it's "GNU/ETK".
Bernard
On 5/24/12 10:28 AM, "Erik Schnetter" schnetter@cct.lsu.edu wrote:
Clearly we need an FAQ for the ET, where this would be the first question.
-erik
On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 10:20 AM, Ian Hinder ian.hinder@aei.mpg.de wrote:
On 24 May 2012, at 15:49, Erik Schnetter wrote:
Since we also have CCTK (Cactus Computational ToolKit), shouldn't it be EATK (Einstein Astrophysics ToolKit)?
And leave the cosmologists out in the cold?
I always wince when I see "ETK", since "toolkit" is one word, not two (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/toolkit?s=t). I think ET is used much more frequently than ETK, and while this does conflict with the Einstein Telescope, hopefully it is clear from the context (just like it's clear that we're not talking about little brown men!)
-erik
On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Frank Loeffler knarf@cct.lsu.edu wrote:
Hi,
On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 08:44:05AM -0500, Steven R. Brandt wrote:
This may seem like a fussy point, but what is the correct abbreviation for Einstein Toolkit? Is it ET or ETK? I've seen both used (and I'm partial to ETK myself).
I like ET more (despite the extra terrestrial). We also already use ET_* for our release tags.
Frank
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)
iQIcBAEBCAAGBQJPvjvMAAoJEOkzpip+I59kEFUP/R7ss/llrjKRlyTJ+DWfEhnc RRRuQBPTCpmQx3i6VmUvL8KGtSg6ZlAcGTHPD6PNUXmlxNWB7u05ZcWLhWAFne0Y tdWQI7FUA8Hw+yKPfWoYUktfc0o34xWe/KY1+Zr5J7krzW9/l1CVmuBsnGiDk8TK xC/LoDcYN1EnertjuCc9C24QbLthqgm9F86uTDyH1PRYZmfokf3l1M1MOOrk2Mqy ZGujBmbNe0Iw6hMmYMrwSZ6qRIz4HZVDuMs5CItN1A8GsI96+v6LS/JgCSR3ula1 O+dhQlXYC3kuN+BwUmKSbu+KhtNlKGohgv3vhR3cmYnTWJiIOtwAhG+4JyXgKd4M KQUdCjqKwv47xaGKuxhlZ1b/d22N6G+7vvnelOdip9kosrkWJmfaRyp8iMSGv6xL j/OPc9NdkosHh2Xw6iVi4igsRE4f2yYDsBsLqpxNJE5FmATlBHgJhbvR159GwIAW K7Zsu/dO5+VLwWaFT9SGbhOfAoXNt7XrgIKDz933f3RWHzLw/2epUTFnieARAaGJ VxVYBurrozF4twMRy0t7KWHiKyANodzSc9HElcrOubkE0cDcesfBc5vR0pOs0/mR aEQo7QwUjYsvHyDpmCPLLAzSASsHnvAqM2h+M8Z7ySDnjPDwm4Bg1fl4JsqnpsuH SMsnp3XVDZ6iO009ZoyO =S7ke -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
-- Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.edu http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/personal/eschnetter/ _______________________________________________ Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
-- Ian Hinder http://numrel.aei.mpg.de/people/hinder
-- Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.edu http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/personal/eschnetter/ _______________________________________________ Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
On 05/24/2012 09:20 AM, Ian Hinder wrote:
I always wince when I see "ETK", since "toolkit" is one word, not two (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/toolkit?s=t). I think ET is used much more frequently than ETK, and while this does conflict with the Einstein Telescope, hopefully it is clear from the context (just like it's clear that we're not talking about little brown men!)
When choosing names I don't expect the letters to begin words. Consider, for example, this popular numerical tool:
Kranc: KRanc Assembles Numerical Code.
Cheers, Steve
On 24 May 2012, at 17:41, Steven R. Brandt wrote:
On 05/24/2012 09:20 AM, Ian Hinder wrote:
I always wince when I see "ETK", since "toolkit" is one word, not two (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/toolkit?s=t). I think ET is used much more frequently than ETK, and while this does conflict with the Einstein Telescope, hopefully it is clear from the context (just like it's clear that we're not talking about little brown men!)
When choosing names I don't expect the letters to begin words. Consider, for example, this popular numerical tool:
Kranc: KRanc Assembles Numerical Code.
Sure, but "ET" and "ETK" are not names of the code; they are abbreviations of "Einstein Toolkit". Kranc is the name of the code, inspired by some of the letters in that phrase.
"Cactus Computational Toolkit" was abbreviated to CCTK, so some of us have grown accustomed to the "Toolkit" -> "TK" mapping.
Perhaps "CCTK" should be changed to "CCT"?
Bet the folks at LSU would love that.
ET is also used by the "Einstein Telescope".
M.
On May 24, 2012, at 9:46 AM, Frank Loeffler knarf@cct.lsu.edu wrote:
Hi,
On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 08:44:05AM -0500, Steven R. Brandt wrote:
This may seem like a fussy point, but what is the correct abbreviation for Einstein Toolkit? Is it ET or ETK? I've seen both used (and I'm partial to ETK myself).
I like ET more (despite the extra terrestrial). We also already use ET_* for our release tags.
Frank
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
users@lists.einsteintoolkit.org