I am trying to create a build slave, and I receive this error message that I don't understand:
-erik
$ sudo ./create-build-slave-vm build DNS domain cannot be determined automatically; please set VM_DOMAIN VM_LANGUAGE=en_CA:en VM_LOCALE=en_US VM_UBUNTU_VERSION=precise VM_UBUNTU_HOSTNAME=archive.ubuntu.com VM_UBUNTU_DIRECTORY=/ubuntu VM_DOMAIN= VM_PASSWORD_HASH=$1$nd.xreKj$oQjMMP0b6/Wdu4gptOI71. VM_TIMEZONE=America/Toronto VM_HOME=/xfs1/eschnetter/vms [Mon, 20 Oct 2014 12:34:44 virt-install 19915] DEBUG (cli:227) Launched with command line: /usr/bin/virt-install -d -n build -r 2048 --vcpus=4 --disk path=/xfs1/eschnetter/vms/build/root.qcow2,format=qcow2,bus=virtio,size=50 --location=http://archive.ubuntu.com//ubuntu/dists/precise/main/installer-amd64/ --accelerate --network network=default,model=virtio --connect=qemu:///system --vnc -v --extra-args=auto=true priority=critical initrd=/install/initrd.gz --initrd-inject=/xfs1/eschnetter/vms/build/preseed.cfg --noautoconsole [Mon, 20 Oct 2014 12:34:44 virt-install 19915] DEBUG (cli:332) Requesting libvirt URI qemu:///system [Mon, 20 Oct 2014 12:34:44 virt-install 19915] DEBUG (cli:334) Received libvirt URI qemu:///system [Mon, 20 Oct 2014 12:34:44 virt-install 19915] DEBUG (virt-install:258) Requesting virt method 'hvm', hv type 'default'. [Mon, 20 Oct 2014 12:34:44 virt-install 19915] DEBUG (virt-install:469) Received virt method 'hvm' [Mon, 20 Oct 2014 12:34:44 virt-install 19915] DEBUG (virt-install:470) Hypervisor name is 'kvm' [Mon, 20 Oct 2014 12:34:44 virt-install 19915] DEBUG (cli:959) --graphics compat generated: vnc [Mon, 20 Oct 2014 12:34:44 virt-install 19915] ERROR (cli:445) Format cannot be specified for unmanaged storage. [Mon, 20 Oct 2014 12:34:44 virt-install 19915] DEBUG (cli:448) Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/bin/virt-install", line 1014, in <module> sys.exit(main()) File "/usr/bin/virt-install", line 999, in main guest = build_guest_instance(conn, options) File "/usr/bin/virt-install", line 529, in build_guest_instance options.disksize, options.sparse, need_storage) File "/usr/bin/virt-install", line 164, in get_disks get_disk(disklist[idx], sizelist[idx], sparse, guest, is_file_path) File "/usr/bin/virt-install", line 137, in get_disk dev, size = cli.parse_disk(guest, diskopts) File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/virtinst/cli.py", line 1621, in parse_disk format=fmt) File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/virtinst/VirtualDisk.py", line 669, in __init__ self.__validate_params() File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/virtinst/VirtualDisk.py", line 1322, in __validate_params self.__set_format() File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/virtinst/VirtualDisk.py", line 1101, in __set_format raise RuntimeError(_("Format cannot be specified for " RuntimeError: Format cannot be specified for unmanaged storage.
On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 12:36:32PM -0400, Erik Schnetter wrote:
I am trying to create a build slave, and I receive this error message that I don't understand:
RuntimeError: Format cannot be specified for unmanaged storage.
Could it be this problem:
http://www.spinics.net/lists/virt-tools/msg05369.html
Or in other words: which version of virtinst did you use, and can you try with >-1.0?
Frank
I don't know. I'm using Ian's script. to create the slave. Ian?
-erik
On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 1:13 PM, Frank Loeffler knarf@cct.lsu.edu wrote:
On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 12:36:32PM -0400, Erik Schnetter wrote:
I am trying to create a build slave, and I receive this error message that I don't understand:
RuntimeError: Format cannot be specified for unmanaged storage.
Could it be this problem:
http://www.spinics.net/lists/virt-tools/msg05369.html
Or in other words: which version of virtinst did you use, and can you try with >-1.0?
Frank
On 20 Oct 2014, at 19:19, Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.edu wrote:
I don't know. I'm using Ian's script. to create the slave. Ian?
Hi Erik,
We discussed this before, the last time you tried this. I include my reply from then:
Hi Erik,
Did you do a full reinstall rather than an upgrade? The VM definition should have survived an upgrade.
The create-build-slave-vm script has never been tested on 14.04, and it looks like libvirt now only supports the more sophisticated "storage pool" method when using non-raw disk formats. The long-term solution would be to switch to using storage pools; there is a "local directory" pool type, and it is probably a small change, but I don't have a 14.04 machine to test on currently, nor the time. I think the easiest solution would be to use a raw disk image instead of a qcow2 image, which the error message suggests should still work. Since you don't need to back up this VM, there aren't so many advantages to qcow2 anyway. I think you should be able to do this by modifying the relevant part of the create-build-slave-vm script from
--disk path=$vmdir/root.qcow2,format=qcow2,bus=virtio,size=50
to
--disk path=$vmdir/root.img,bus=virtio,size=50
The only change should be that the image will now take 50 GB of real disk space, rather than only taking that space when it is actually used.
Can you try this change to the script?
Ian
Thanks; this worked.
-erik
On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 1:33 PM, Ian Hinder ian.hinder@aei.mpg.de wrote:
On 20 Oct 2014, at 19:19, Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.edu wrote:
I don't know. I'm using Ian's script. to create the slave. Ian?
Hi Erik,
We discussed this before, the last time you tried this. I include my reply from then:
Hi Erik,
Did you do a full reinstall rather than an upgrade? The VM definition should have survived an upgrade.
The create-build-slave-vm script has never been tested on 14.04, and it looks like libvirt now only supports the more sophisticated "storage pool" method when using non-raw disk formats. The long-term solution would be to switch to using storage pools; there is a "local directory" pool type, and it is probably a small change, but I don't have a 14.04 machine to test on currently, nor the time. I think the easiest solution would be to use a raw disk image instead of a qcow2 image, which the error message suggests should still work. Since you don't need to back up this VM, there aren't so many advantages to qcow2 anyway. I think you should be able to do this by modifying the relevant part of the create-build-slave-vm script from
--disk path=$vmdir/root.qcow2,format=qcow2,bus=virtio,size=50to
--disk path=$vmdir/root.img,bus=virtio,size=50The only change should be that the image will now take 50 GB of real disk space, rather than only taking that space when it is actually used.
Can you try this change to the script?
-- Ian Hinder http://numrel.aei.mpg.de/people/hinder
users@lists.einsteintoolkit.org