Hello there!
I am new to all of this, so let me apologize if this questions has been already asked or if its solution is obvious: I have done some search and I have seen this question has been asked before (https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2069/connection-failure... https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2069/connection-failures-to-svncactuscodeorg) but I cannot understand what should I do to fix it. I have never worked with SVN so I understand, basically, nothing.
The problem is, when I try to download the ET, most of the packages install correctly, but some of them deliver this error:
Could not checkout module ExternalLibraries/hwloc svn: E170013: Unable to connect to a repository at URL 'https://github.com/EinsteinToolkit/ExternalLibraries-hwloc.git/branches/ET_2...' svn: E120171: Error running context: An error occurred during SSL communication
I have tried installing again SVN, this is my current version: svn, version 1.11.1 (r1850623)
Also I am working on a MacBook (10.15.6), if that is of any help. I have no idea what to do to fix this. I would appreciate any help or guidance that you might provide. Thank you all in advance, I am so excited to join this community!
Best,
Jaime
Hello Jaime,
I am new to all of this, so let me apologize if this questions has been already asked or if its solution is obvious: I have done some search and I have seen this question has been asked before (https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/is... <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/is...
) but I cannot understand what should I do to fix it. I have never worked with SVN so I understand, basically, nothing.
This seems to me to be a slightly different problem. The svn server you try to connect to that is shown in the error message is actually
https://github.com/EinsteinToolkit/ExternalLibraries-hwloc.git/branches/ET_2...
while the ticket refers to the server svn.cactuscode.org .
The problem is, when I try to download the ET, most of the packages install correctly, but some of them deliver this error:
Could not checkout module ExternalLibraries/hwloc svn: E170013: Unable to connect to a repository at URL 'https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://github.com/EinsteinToolkit/ExternalLibra... ' svn: E120171: Error running context: An error occurred during SSL communication
I have tried installing again SVN, this is my current version: svn, version 1.11.1 (r1850623)
My guess is that your issue could be:
https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2396/potential-issue-wi...
and basically boils down to GitHub's svn servers (they do allow access via svn, not just git) occasionally just report a repository as being empty.
In that case my suggestion is to manually remove the directories like hwloc in:
Cactus/arrangements/ExternalLibraries
and try once more after a couple of minutes (since those issues tended to be some sort of rate limit by GitHub and resolved themselves once the rate of access dropped).
There also were issues for a long time that Apple's svn (or actually OpenSSL) was too old / did not trust the required certificates and checkouts would fail. Catalina (10.15) ought to be fine, and I at least for my test system with Catalina's build in svn (version 1.10.4 r1850624) it works right now:
svn co 'https://github.com/EinsteinToolkit/ExternalLibraries-hwloc.git/branches/ET_2...'
it also works with BigSur (11.X) and svn from homebrew (version 1.14.1 r1886195).
If it still fails for you after removing the directories in ExternalLibraries, then you may want to enter the URL it shows in the error message in a browser to see if the URL is accessible there (should be just a directory listing).
It would also help if you could provide information on how you installed svn (eg macports, homebrew, from source) and if you can access any other svn server (using https) eg does this:
svn info https://svn.einsteintoolkit.org/cactus/EinsteinExamples/
or this
svn info https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk
work?
Yours, Roland
users@lists.einsteintoolkit.org