Present: Erik, Frank, Barry, Ian, Matt, Yosef, Zach, Steve, Eloisa
LIGO September event simulation * Barry, Eloisa, and Ian have set up a parameter file for the GW event that LIGO detected in September * the simulation is short since the event was high masss * there is a webpage and tutorial visualization using VisIt available * provide full 3d output which is ~1TB and lightweight data which is about 500GB * an extensive Mathemtatica Notebook using SimulationTools [http://simulationtools.org/] is provided showing how to do all sorts of analysis for the simulation * restructured gallery page to have little headings about each example
Feedback: * add pointer to LIGO publications eg the PRL article * point out scaling of results * get DOI or simimlar for this, plan to have "proper" publication as well, want to also publicize it in talks and to communities that do not yet produce full GR simulations ordinarily eg the physics today magazine, conceivably also include in LIGO data releases * try provide data online suggest eg NCSA's data services * suggest to make plots and movies available for download
ET release: * hwloc https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/1717 * HDF5 https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/1851 suggest to apply https://gist.github.com/eschnett/baa8b20fd64eb524c42f https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/raw-attachment/ticket/1851/0002-detect.sh-S... and https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/raw-attachment/ticket/1851/0001-detect.sh-T... Roland to review * https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/1853 accept revert on master for release and fix diagonal output, move into feature branch, on feature branch will merge the diagonal part of the old code and the non-diagonal code of the new code * piraha error messages https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/1881 accept current solution * AHFinderDirect https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/1880 Roland will commit new data, many of the now failing tests fail due to extra lines of output that was not found before * create wiki page with outstanding issues and progress documenting why each item is fixed/not fixed * collect suggestions for new release name
Yours, Roland
On 23 May 2016, at 17:42, Roland Haas rhaas@aei.mpg.de wrote:
Present: Erik, Frank, Barry, Ian, Matt, Yosef, Zach, Steve, Eloisa
LIGO September event simulation
- Barry, Eloisa, and Ian have set up a parameter file for the GW event
that LIGO detected in September
- the simulation is short since the event was high masss
- there is a webpage and tutorial visualization using VisIt available
- provide full 3d output which is ~1TB and lightweight data which is
about 500GB
500 MB
Hi,
We do have Jenkins failures for a number of tests in QuasiLocalMeasures. These aren't related to the bugfix in the testsuite mechanism, i.e., they are not related to extra lines in the output. Jenkins isn't helpful in pointing to a specific commit: it points to [1], which would be the testsuite-test change.
As far as I can see, the difference in the output is that in the old output the carpet weight is all 0 while in the new it is nonzero in some points. I vaguely remember a fix in that direction some time ago, but cannot find it now. Does someone remember, and have some idea what's going on there?
Frank
On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 03:35:16PM -0500, Frank Loeffler wrote:
As far as I can see, the difference in the output is that in the old output the carpet weight is all 0 while in the new it is nonzero in some points. I vaguely remember a fix in that direction some time ago, but cannot find it now. Does someone remember, and have some idea what's going on there?
Having had a little bit more time to think about this: I suspect this is due to the recent changes to AHFinderDirect scheduling. Roland: can you confirm?
Frank
Hello Frank, all,
Having had a little bit more time to think about this: I suspect this is due to the recent changes to AHFinderDirect scheduling. Roland: can you confirm?
I'll have to look into this. I am no longer sure of the diffs that I had posted. Re-running I get different results.
Yours, Roland
On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 03:35:16PM -0500, Frank Loeffler wrote:
We do have Jenkins failures for a number of tests in QuasiLocalMeasures.
I did look into those, and they turn out to be tricky.
First of all: they are about files that are process-dependent, are generated on one process, but are used by Jenkins also with two processes. They should fail. In the past they didn't, and I believe this is why: https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/1889. In short: because of the way absolute/relative errors are currently computed, and because some of the values in this particular case (weights) are 0, comparing the testsuites gives the "How did I get here" error, but this doesn't actually trigger a testsuite failure.
With current flesh, however, the fact that the two-process file does contain more lines, you now still get a strong failure, which made the suite fail now (and Jenkins was correct after all).
The suites pass when run on one process, so the actual data seem to be just fine.
What's left is:
- decide what to do with the testsuites. We could either restrict them to one process only, change the output format to be process-independent, or remove the output of the carpet weight. If I don't get recommendations, I will go ahead within the next days and implement one of these options - likely the second option if easy. - fix the testsuite mechanism. I didn't look closely at #1889, but that might already do that. These differences should have caused a strong failure in the first place.
Frank
users@lists.einsteintoolkit.org