As discussed previously, Carpet's git repository is moving to Bitbucket. At the same time, its repository structure changes so that Carpet will consist of a single arrangement only.
The new Bitbucket repository with the new directory structure exists. Please look at https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/manifest/pull-request/1/move-carpet-to-bitbucket-rearrange/diff to test or comment.
-erik
Hello Erik,
As discussed previously, Carpet's git repository is moving to Bitbucket. At the same time, its repository structure changes so that Carpet will consist of a single arrangement only.
Since I have a number (>10 or so) of personal branches in my Carpet clone: did you use a script or special git command to synchronize different branches off master? Usually I would periodically rebase my personal branches on top of master but with the extensive moving of files this seems likely to fail.
Yours, Roland
Roland
I did not modify the branches. I rearranged the master only. Since I don't maintain the branches, I did not want to interfere.
If you maintain a branch that doesn't have new thorns, then a few "mv" commands should do the trick. No, I don't have a script for this. I used plain "mv" and then "git add" (in a GUI), followed by "git commit".
-erik
On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 9:41 AM, Roland Haas roland.haas@physics.gatech.edu wrote:
Hello Erik,
As discussed previously, Carpet's git repository is moving to Bitbucket. At the same time, its repository structure changes so that Carpet will consist of a single arrangement only.
Since I have a number (>10 or so) of personal branches in my Carpet clone: did you use a script or special git command to synchronize different branches off master? Usually I would periodically rebase my personal branches on top of master but with the extensive moving of files this seems likely to fail.
Yours, Roland
-- My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://keys.gnupg.net.
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
On 3 Oct 2014, at 07:30, Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.edu wrote:
Roland
I did not modify the branches. I rearranged the master only. Since I don't maintain the branches, I did not want to interfere.
If you maintain a branch that doesn't have new thorns, then a few "mv" commands should do the trick. No, I don't have a script for this. I used plain "mv" and then "git add" (in a GUI), followed by "git commit".
You could try merging from the master branch into your branches. Git should be able to identify the rearrangement.
-erik
On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 9:41 AM, Roland Haas roland.haas@physics.gatech.edu wrote:
Hello Erik,
As discussed previously, Carpet's git repository is moving to Bitbucket. At the same time, its repository structure changes so that Carpet will consist of a single arrangement only.
Since I have a number (>10 or so) of personal branches in my Carpet clone: did you use a script or special git command to synchronize different branches off master? Usually I would periodically rebase my personal branches on top of master but with the extensive moving of files this seems likely to fail.
Yours, Roland
-- My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://keys.gnupg.net.
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
-- Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.edu http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/personal/eschnetter/ _______________________________________________ Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Hello Ian, Erik,
You could try merging from the master branch into your branches. Git should be able to identify the rearrangement.
Ian: Ok, I'll try some things (including the merge) and see what works best. Erik: I was actually not referring to the branches in the main Carpet repository but to branches that I keep in my own local repository (eg unfinished experiments, rejected features that I occasionally continue to use myself, this kind of stuff).
Yours, Roland
Roland: With git, it shouldn't matter in what repository a branch lives. Feel free to give your branch names such as "rhaas/experiment9", "rhaas/useful-but-rejected" and push them to the main Carpet repository. Or choose these names and keep them in your local repo, pulling in the main Carpet repo. In the end, it's just the working directory where you make changes, and a branch in some repo where you can push and pull if needed.
-erik
On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Roland Haas roland.haas@physics.gatech.edu wrote:
Hello Ian, Erik,
You could try merging from the master branch into your branches. Git should be able to identify the rearrangement.
Ian: Ok, I'll try some things (including the merge) and see what works best. Erik: I was actually not referring to the branches in the main Carpet repository but to branches that I keep in my own local repository (eg unfinished experiments, rejected features that I occasionally continue to use myself, this kind of stuff).
Yours, Roland
-- My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://keys.gnupg.net.
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Hello Erik,
Roland: With git, it shouldn't matter in what repository a branch lives. Feel free to give your branch names such as "rhaas/experiment9", "rhaas/useful-but-rejected" and push them to the main Carpet repository. Or choose these names and keep them in your local repo, pulling in the main Carpet repo. In the end, it's just the working directory where you make changes, and a branch in some repo where you can push and pull if needed.
The rearrangement of thorns removes WaveToyMoL and IDWaveToyMoL. I believe those were the only examples using MoL so it may be good to move them into say CactusWave (needs change in license probably).
Yours, Roland
On Fri, Oct 03, 2014 at 09:13:06AM -0400, Erik Schnetter wrote:
As discussed previously, Carpet's git repository is moving to Bitbucket. At the same time, its repository structure changes so that Carpet will consist of a single arrangement only.
The new Bitbucket repository with the new directory structure exists. Please look at https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/manifest/pull-request/1/move-carpet-to-bitbucket-rearrange/diff to test or comment.
It looks fine on first sight and test - but commit messages aren't yet forwarded to the commits mailing list (and probably shouldn't yet - just as reminder).
Frank
Hello all,
The new Bitbucket repository with the new directory structure exists. Please look at https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/manifest/pull-request/1/move-carpet-to-bitbucket-rearrange/diff to test or comment.
Seems fine (ie compiles and the tests run on both 2 and 1 processes). If there are no objections I suggest to pull the changes in. The comment about removed thorns still applies but they were never in the ET thornlist in the first place.
Yours, Roland
I have updated the Einstein Toolkit thorn list.
Carpet's git repository is now located on Bitbucket at https://bitbucket.org/eschnett/carpet. Also, Carpet now consists of a single arrangement only.
-erik
On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 7:42 AM, Roland Haas roland.haas@physics.gatech.edu wrote:
Hello all,
The new Bitbucket repository with the new directory structure exists. Please look at https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/manifest/pull-request/1/move-carpet-to-bitbucket-rearrange/diff to test or comment.
Seems fine (ie compiles and the tests run on both 2 and 1 processes). If there are no objections I suggest to pull the changes in. The comment about removed thorns still applies but they were never in the ET thornlist in the first place.
Yours, Roland
-- My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://keys.gnupg.net.
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
users@lists.einsteintoolkit.org