Dear all,
I just coded a simple wavetoy and have found that the output when using carpet (the number of time levels) depends on the number of processors used for both h5 or ascii. Am I doing something clearly worng and easily fixable?
Bests, Francisco -- Francisco S. Guzman Murillo. Instituto de Fisica y Matematicas, Universidad Michoacana de San Nicolas de Hidalgo Phone: +52 (443) 322 3500 ext 4142 http://www.ifm.umich.mx/guzman/
Francisco
Yes, the output format does (unfortunately) depend on the number of processes that you used. However, the content of the output should not!
There is a script "mergeCarpetIOASCII.pl" in thorn CarpetIOASCII that can help. (I'm not an expert here, I hope someone else can explain more.) For the HDF5 thorns, our visualisation tools should all be able to read the multiple files as if they were one.
-erik
On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 6:13 PM, Francisco S. Guzman guzman@ifm.umich.mx wrote:
Dear all,
I just coded a simple wavetoy and have found that the output when using carpet (the number of time levels) depends on the number of processors used for both h5 or ascii. Am I doing something clearly worng and easily fixable?
Bests, Francisco -- Francisco S. Guzman Murillo. Instituto de Fisica y Matematicas, Universidad Michoacana de San Nicolas de Hidalgo Phone: +52 (443) 322 3500 ext 4142 http://www.ifm.umich.mx/guzman/ _______________________________________________ Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
On 24 Feb 2011, at 02:30, Erik Schnetter wrote:
Francisco
Yes, the output format does (unfortunately) depend on the number of processes that you used. However, the content of the output should not!
There is a script "mergeCarpetIOASCII.pl" in thorn CarpetIOASCII that can help. (I'm not an expert here, I hope someone else can explain more.) For the HDF5 thorns, our visualisation tools should all be able to read the multiple files as if they were one.
Francisco,
Do you mean that the output format changes, or the output values? If the former, then yes, this is very annoying, but it is by design. If the latter, then this is something we have fought a lot with in the past. It can occur due to changes in the order in which reduction operations occur caused by MPI and the lack of associativity of floating point arithmetic. It can also happen due to the way that the compiler generates different code for handling different sizes of loop (e.g. vectorising in some cases, not in others, with the decision taken at runtime based on the size of the loop, which will depend on the number of processes).
-erik
On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 6:13 PM, Francisco S. Guzman guzman@ifm.umich.mx wrote:
Dear all,
I just coded a simple wavetoy and have found that the output when using carpet (the number of time levels) depends on the number of processors used for both h5 or ascii. Am I doing something clearly worng and easily fixable?
Bests, Francisco -- Francisco S. Guzman Murillo. Instituto de Fisica y Matematicas, Universidad Michoacana de San Nicolas de Hidalgo Phone: +52 (443) 322 3500 ext 4142 http://www.ifm.umich.mx/guzman/ _______________________________________________ Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
-- Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.edu http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/ _______________________________________________ Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
users@lists.einsteintoolkit.org