The publically-downloadable einsteintoolkit.th file includes the lines
# Carpet, the AMR driver !TARGET = $ARR !TYPE = hg !AUTH_URL = ssh://carpetmercurial@carpetcode.org/carpet !URL = http://www.carpetcode.org/hg/carpet # For the git version of Carpet, comment the previous three lines and uncomment # the next three #!TYPE = git #!AUTH_URL = carpetgit@carpetcode.org:carpet #!URL = git://carpetcode.org/carpet !CHECKOUT = Carpet/doc Carpet/Carpet ..etc
Is there a reason why the public thornlist configured so that many users get asked for an ssh password they / we don't have? Whenever I try to perform a fresh checkout with GetComponents, I have to bypass the Carpet part and grab it manually..
How about, instead, something like:
!TYPE = hg
!AUTH_URL = http://www.carpetcode.org/hg/carpet !URL = http://www.carpetcode.org/hg/carpet
It would be great if this could be the default for the version of einsteintool.th on the Download Page.
Cheers, Scott
On 4/2/12 3:46 PM, "Erik Schnetter" eschnetter@perimeterinstitute.ca wrote:
Scott
If you use GetComponents from the Einstein Toolkit, then you don't need to do anything manually.
In your case, it seems that the instructions are slightly wrong. There should be a directory named "carpet" instead of "carpetcode"; can you make the respective replacement in the "ln" command?
-erik
On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Scott Hawley scott.hawley@belmont.edu wrote:
Thanks. I did the "hg clone" method for read-only access.. What it does is give me this structure:
hedges:~> cd Cactus hedges:~/Cactus> cd carpet/ hedges:~/Cactus/carpet> ls Carpet/ CarpetAttic/ CarpetDev/ CarpetExtra/ Doxyfile README test-carpet
if I then do (following http://www.carpetcode.org/get-carpet.html)
cd arrangements ln -s ../carpetcode/Carpet* .
There no "carpetcode" directory so the link fails.
So now I'm trying gitŠ That seems to work.
I'm just using the Maxwell einsteintoolkit.th file. So that file assumes that your new users already have exchanged SHH keys? -Scott
On 4/2/12 3:14 PM, "Erik Schnetter" eschnetter@perimeterinstitute.ca wrote:
Scott
Access is enabled via ssh keys; if you send me a public ssh key, I will give you access. Passwords as such don't work.
For read-only access, you can also use "hg clone http://www.carpetcode.org/hg/carpet", which does not require a password either.
-erik
On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 4:06 PM, Scott Hawley scott.hawley@belmont.edu wrote:
Hi Erik, I'm being prompted for a password. I've tried "anonymous" and "anon". I can't find it on the carpetcode.org server. What do I need to do? Thanks, Scott
% ./GetComponents einsteintoolkit.th Š
Checking out module: Carpet/doc from repository: ssh://carpetmercurial@carpetcode.org/carpet into: Cactus/arrangements carpetmercurial@carpetcode.org's password: carpetmercurial@carpetcode.org's password:
-- Erik Schnetter eschnetter@perimeterinstitute.ca http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/personal/eschnetter/ AIM: eschnett247, Skype: eschnett, Google Talk: schnetter@gmail.com
-- Erik Schnetter eschnetter@perimeterinstitute.ca http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/personal/eschnetter/ AIM: eschnett247, Skype: eschnett, Google Talk: schnetter@gmail.com
I understand that Eric can add myself and others to his access list, but for "general use", would it not be easier on Erik to default to anonymous access?
On 5/23/12 2:11 PM, "Scott Hawley" scott.hawley@belmont.edu wrote:
The publically-downloadable einsteintoolkit.th file includes the lines
# Carpet, the AMR driver !TARGET = $ARR !TYPE = hg !AUTH_URL = ssh://carpetmercurial@carpetcode.org/carpet !URL = http://www.carpetcode.org/hg/carpet # For the git version of Carpet, comment the previous three lines and uncomment # the next three #!TYPE = git #!AUTH_URL = carpetgit@carpetcode.org:carpet #!URL = git://carpetcode.org/carpet !CHECKOUT = Carpet/doc Carpet/Carpet ..etc
Is there a reason why the public thornlist configured so that many users get asked for an ssh password they / we don't have? Whenever I try to perform a fresh checkout with GetComponents, I have to bypass the Carpet part and grab it manually..
How about, instead, something like:
!TYPE = hg
!AUTH_URL = http://www.carpetcode.org/hg/carpet !URL = http://www.carpetcode.org/hg/carpet
It would be great if this could be the default for the version of einsteintool.th on the Download Page.
Cheers, Scott
On 4/2/12 3:46 PM, "Erik Schnetter" eschnetter@perimeterinstitute.ca wrote:
Scott
If you use GetComponents from the Einstein Toolkit, then you don't need to do anything manually.
In your case, it seems that the instructions are slightly wrong. There should be a directory named "carpet" instead of "carpetcode"; can you make the respective replacement in the "ln" command?
-erik
On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Scott Hawley scott.hawley@belmont.edu wrote:
Thanks. I did the "hg clone" method for read-only access.. What it does is give me this structure:
hedges:~> cd Cactus hedges:~/Cactus> cd carpet/ hedges:~/Cactus/carpet> ls Carpet/ CarpetAttic/ CarpetDev/ CarpetExtra/ Doxyfile README test-carpet
if I then do (following http://www.carpetcode.org/get-carpet.html)
cd arrangements ln -s ../carpetcode/Carpet* .
There no "carpetcode" directory so the link fails.
So now I'm trying gitŠ That seems to work.
I'm just using the Maxwell einsteintoolkit.th file. So that file assumes that your new users already have exchanged SHH keys? -Scott
On 4/2/12 3:14 PM, "Erik Schnetter" eschnetter@perimeterinstitute.ca wrote:
Scott
Access is enabled via ssh keys; if you send me a public ssh key, I will give you access. Passwords as such don't work.
For read-only access, you can also use "hg clone http://www.carpetcode.org/hg/carpet", which does not require a password either.
-erik
On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 4:06 PM, Scott Hawley scott.hawley@belmont.edu wrote:
Hi Erik, I'm being prompted for a password. I've tried "anonymous" and "anon". I can't find it on the carpetcode.org server. What do I need to do? Thanks, Scott
% ./GetComponents einsteintoolkit.th Š
Checking out module: Carpet/doc from repository: ssh://carpetmercurial@carpetcode.org/carpet into: Cactus/arrangements carpetmercurial@carpetcode.org's password: carpetmercurial@carpetcode.org's password:
-- Erik Schnetter eschnetter@perimeterinstitute.ca http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/personal/eschnetter/ AIM: eschnett247, Skype: eschnett, Google Talk: schnetter@gmail.com
-- Erik Schnetter eschnetter@perimeterinstitute.ca http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/personal/eschnetter/ AIM: eschnett247, Skype: eschnett, Google Talk: schnetter@gmail.com
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Hello Scott,
I understand that Eric can add myself and others to his access list, but for "general use", would it not be easier on Erik to default to anonymous access?
There is it is just that GetComponents defaults to non-anonymous access. You should pass the "-a" option to GetComponents in which case it will use the URL data otherwise it uses AUTH_URL by default.
Yours, Roland
It is up to GetComponents to choose between anonymous and non-anonymous checkouts; the thorn lists gives both options without setting the default. You can use the "-a" option (--anonymous) to enable anonymous checkouts.
I don't recall why non-anonymous is the default -- probably because we want to encourage people to contribute? The wiki etc. all use the "-a" option.
-erik
On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Scott Hawley scott.hawley@belmont.edu wrote:
I understand that Eric can add myself and others to his access list, but for "general use", would it not be easier on Erik to default to anonymous access?
On 5/23/12 2:11 PM, "Scott Hawley" scott.hawley@belmont.edu wrote:
The publically-downloadable einsteintoolkit.th file includes the lines
# Carpet, the AMR driver !TARGET = $ARR !TYPE = hg !AUTH_URL = ssh://carpetmercurial@carpetcode.org/carpet !URL = http://www.carpetcode.org/hg/carpet # For the git version of Carpet, comment the previous three lines and uncomment # the next three #!TYPE = git #!AUTH_URL = carpetgit@carpetcode.org:carpet #!URL = git://carpetcode.org/carpet !CHECKOUT = Carpet/doc Carpet/Carpet ..etc
Is there a reason why the public thornlist configured so that many users get asked for an ssh password they / we don't have? Whenever I try to perform a fresh checkout with GetComponents, I have to bypass the Carpet part and grab it manually..
How about, instead, something like:
!TYPE = hg
!AUTH_URL = http://www.carpetcode.org/hg/carpet !URL = http://www.carpetcode.org/hg/carpet
It would be great if this could be the default for the version of einsteintool.th on the Download Page.
Cheers, Scott
On 4/2/12 3:46 PM, "Erik Schnetter" eschnetter@perimeterinstitute.ca wrote:
Scott
If you use GetComponents from the Einstein Toolkit, then you don't need to do anything manually.
In your case, it seems that the instructions are slightly wrong. There should be a directory named "carpet" instead of "carpetcode"; can you make the respective replacement in the "ln" command?
-erik
On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Scott Hawley scott.hawley@belmont.edu wrote:
Thanks. I did the "hg clone" method for read-only access.. What it does is give me this structure:
hedges:~> cd Cactus hedges:~/Cactus> cd carpet/ hedges:~/Cactus/carpet> ls Carpet/ CarpetAttic/ CarpetDev/ CarpetExtra/ Doxyfile README test-carpet
if I then do (following http://www.carpetcode.org/get-carpet.html)
cd arrangements ln -s ../carpetcode/Carpet* .
There no "carpetcode" directory so the link fails.
So now I'm trying gitŠ That seems to work.
I'm just using the Maxwell einsteintoolkit.th file. So that file assumes that your new users already have exchanged SHH keys? -Scott
On 4/2/12 3:14 PM, "Erik Schnetter" eschnetter@perimeterinstitute.ca wrote:
Scott
Access is enabled via ssh keys; if you send me a public ssh key, I will give you access. Passwords as such don't work.
For read-only access, you can also use "hg clone http://www.carpetcode.org/hg/carpet", which does not require a password either.
-erik
On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 4:06 PM, Scott Hawley scott.hawley@belmont.edu wrote:
Hi Erik, I'm being prompted for a password. I've tried "anonymous" and "anon". I can't find it on the carpetcode.org server. What do I need to do? Thanks, Scott
% ./GetComponents einsteintoolkit.th Š
Checking out module: Carpet/doc from repository: ssh://carpetmercurial@carpetcode.org/carpet into: Cactus/arrangements carpetmercurial@carpetcode.org's password: carpetmercurial@carpetcode.org's password:
-- Erik Schnetter eschnetter@perimeterinstitute.ca http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/personal/eschnetter/ AIM: eschnett247, Skype: eschnett, Google Talk: schnetter@gmail.com
-- Erik Schnetter eschnetter@perimeterinstitute.ca http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/personal/eschnetter/ AIM: eschnett247, Skype: eschnett, Google Talk: schnetter@gmail.com
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Woops. User error.
Thanks.
On 5/23/12 2:14 PM, "Erik Schnetter" eschnetter@perimeterinstitute.ca wrote:
It is up to GetComponents to choose between anonymous and non-anonymous checkouts; the thorn lists gives both options without setting the default. You can use the "-a" option (--anonymous) to enable anonymous checkouts.
I don't recall why non-anonymous is the default -- probably because we want to encourage people to contribute? The wiki etc. all use the "-a" option.
-erik
On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Scott Hawley scott.hawley@belmont.edu wrote:
I understand that Eric can add myself and others to his access list, but for "general use", would it not be easier on Erik to default to anonymous access?
On 5/23/12 2:11 PM, "Scott Hawley" scott.hawley@belmont.edu wrote:
The publically-downloadable einsteintoolkit.th file includes the lines
# Carpet, the AMR driver !TARGET = $ARR !TYPE = hg !AUTH_URL = ssh://carpetmercurial@carpetcode.org/carpet !URL = http://www.carpetcode.org/hg/carpet # For the git version of Carpet, comment the previous three lines and uncomment # the next three #!TYPE = git #!AUTH_URL = carpetgit@carpetcode.org:carpet #!URL = git://carpetcode.org/carpet !CHECKOUT = Carpet/doc Carpet/Carpet ..etc
Is there a reason why the public thornlist configured so that many users get asked for an ssh password they / we don't have? Whenever I try to perform a fresh checkout with GetComponents, I have to bypass the Carpet part and grab it manually..
How about, instead, something like:
!TYPE = hg
!AUTH_URL = http://www.carpetcode.org/hg/carpet !URL = http://www.carpetcode.org/hg/carpet
It would be great if this could be the default for the version of einsteintool.th on the Download Page.
Cheers, Scott
On 4/2/12 3:46 PM, "Erik Schnetter" eschnetter@perimeterinstitute.ca wrote:
Scott
If you use GetComponents from the Einstein Toolkit, then you don't need to do anything manually.
In your case, it seems that the instructions are slightly wrong. There should be a directory named "carpet" instead of "carpetcode"; can you make the respective replacement in the "ln" command?
-erik
On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Scott Hawley scott.hawley@belmont.edu wrote:
Thanks. I did the "hg clone" method for read-only access.. What it does is give me this structure:
hedges:~> cd Cactus hedges:~/Cactus> cd carpet/ hedges:~/Cactus/carpet> ls Carpet/ CarpetAttic/ CarpetDev/ CarpetExtra/ Doxyfile README test-carpet
if I then do (following http://www.carpetcode.org/get-carpet.html)
cd arrangements ln -s ../carpetcode/Carpet* .
There no "carpetcode" directory so the link fails.
So now I'm trying gitŠ That seems to work.
I'm just using the Maxwell einsteintoolkit.th file. So that file assumes that your new users already have exchanged SHH keys? -Scott
On 4/2/12 3:14 PM, "Erik Schnetter" eschnetter@perimeterinstitute.ca wrote:
Scott
Access is enabled via ssh keys; if you send me a public ssh key, I will give you access. Passwords as such don't work.
For read-only access, you can also use "hg clone http://www.carpetcode.org/hg/carpet", which does not require a password either.
-erik
On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 4:06 PM, Scott Hawley scott.hawley@belmont.edu wrote: > Hi Erik, > I'm being prompted for a password. I've tried "anonymous" and >"anon". I > can't find it on the carpetcode.org server. > What do I need to do? > Thanks, > Scott > > > % ./GetComponents einsteintoolkit.th > Š > ----------------------------------------------------------------- > Checking out module: Carpet/doc > from repository: ssh://carpetmercurial@carpetcode.org/carpet > into: Cactus/arrangements > carpetmercurial@carpetcode.org's password: > carpetmercurial@carpetcode.org's password: >
-- Erik Schnetter eschnetter@perimeterinstitute.ca http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/personal/eschnetter/ AIM: eschnett247, Skype: eschnett, Google Talk: schnetter@gmail.com
-- Erik Schnetter eschnetter@perimeterinstitute.ca http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/personal/eschnetter/ AIM: eschnett247, Skype: eschnett, Google Talk: schnetter@gmail.com
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
-- Erik Schnetter eschnetter@perimeterinstitute.ca http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/personal/eschnetter/ AIM: eschnett247, Skype: eschnett, Google Talk: schnetter@gmail.com
Wait: Not user error.
I don't want to use anonymous checkout of all thorns.
I want authenticated checkout to my own repository and thorns I'm a co-developer for, but anonymous checkout for repositories I don't have passwords for.
Someone will say, "But how is GetComponents" supposed to know this? I recall in the past, being prompted with "Use anonymous access?" or being told "Enter '-' for anonymous checkout [-]".
But with the Carpet thorns it just gives you a repeating password prompt, with no opportunity to tell it that you want anonymous access.
Is there a way to enable the above?
Thanks.
On 5/23/12 2:18 PM, "Scott Hawley" scott.hawley@belmont.edu wrote:
Woops. User error.
Thanks.
On 5/23/12 2:14 PM, "Erik Schnetter" eschnetter@perimeterinstitute.ca wrote:
It is up to GetComponents to choose between anonymous and non-anonymous checkouts; the thorn lists gives both options without setting the default. You can use the "-a" option (--anonymous) to enable anonymous checkouts.
I don't recall why non-anonymous is the default -- probably because we want to encourage people to contribute? The wiki etc. all use the "-a" option.
-erik
On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Scott Hawley scott.hawley@belmont.edu wrote:
I understand that Eric can add myself and others to his access list, but for "general use", would it not be easier on Erik to default to anonymous access?
On 5/23/12 2:11 PM, "Scott Hawley" scott.hawley@belmont.edu wrote:
The publically-downloadable einsteintoolkit.th file includes the lines
# Carpet, the AMR driver !TARGET = $ARR !TYPE = hg !AUTH_URL = ssh://carpetmercurial@carpetcode.org/carpet !URL = http://www.carpetcode.org/hg/carpet # For the git version of Carpet, comment the previous three lines and uncomment # the next three #!TYPE = git #!AUTH_URL = carpetgit@carpetcode.org:carpet #!URL = git://carpetcode.org/carpet !CHECKOUT = Carpet/doc Carpet/Carpet ..etc
Is there a reason why the public thornlist configured so that many users get asked for an ssh password they / we don't have? Whenever I try to perform a fresh checkout with GetComponents, I have to bypass the Carpet part and grab it manually..
How about, instead, something like:
!TYPE = hg
!AUTH_URL = http://www.carpetcode.org/hg/carpet !URL = http://www.carpetcode.org/hg/carpet
It would be great if this could be the default for the version of einsteintool.th on the Download Page.
Cheers, Scott
On 4/2/12 3:46 PM, "Erik Schnetter" eschnetter@perimeterinstitute.ca wrote:
Scott
If you use GetComponents from the Einstein Toolkit, then you don't need to do anything manually.
In your case, it seems that the instructions are slightly wrong. There should be a directory named "carpet" instead of "carpetcode"; can you make the respective replacement in the "ln" command?
-erik
On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Scott Hawley scott.hawley@belmont.edu wrote:
Thanks. I did the "hg clone" method for read-only access.. What it does is give me this structure:
hedges:~> cd Cactus hedges:~/Cactus> cd carpet/ hedges:~/Cactus/carpet> ls Carpet/ CarpetAttic/ CarpetDev/ CarpetExtra/ Doxyfile README test-carpet
if I then do (following http://www.carpetcode.org/get-carpet.html)
cd arrangements ln -s ../carpetcode/Carpet* .
There no "carpetcode" directory so the link fails.
So now I'm trying gitŠ That seems to work.
I'm just using the Maxwell einsteintoolkit.th file. So that file assumes that your new users already have exchanged SHH keys? -Scott
On 4/2/12 3:14 PM, "Erik Schnetter" eschnetter@perimeterinstitute.ca wrote:
>Scott > >Access is enabled via ssh keys; if you send me a public ssh key, I >will give you access. Passwords as such don't work. > >For read-only access, you can also use "hg clone >http://www.carpetcode.org/hg/carpet", which does not require a >password either. > >-erik > >On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 4:06 PM, Scott Hawley >scott.hawley@belmont.edu >wrote: >> Hi Erik, >> I'm being prompted for a password. I've tried "anonymous" and >>"anon". I >> can't find it on the carpetcode.org server. >> What do I need to do? >> Thanks, >> Scott >> >> >> % ./GetComponents einsteintoolkit.th >> Š >> ----------------------------------------------------------------- >> Checking out module: Carpet/doc >> from repository: ssh://carpetmercurial@carpetcode.org/carpet >> into: Cactus/arrangements >> carpetmercurial@carpetcode.org's password: >> carpetmercurial@carpetcode.org's password: >> > >-- >Erik Schnetter eschnetter@perimeterinstitute.ca >http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/personal/eschnetter/ >AIM: eschnett247, Skype: eschnett, Google Talk: schnetter@gmail.com >
-- Erik Schnetter eschnetter@perimeterinstitute.ca http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/personal/eschnetter/ AIM: eschnett247, Skype: eschnett, Google Talk: schnetter@gmail.com
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
-- Erik Schnetter eschnetter@perimeterinstitute.ca http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/personal/eschnetter/ AIM: eschnett247, Skype: eschnett, Google Talk: schnetter@gmail.com
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
On 23 May 2012, at 21:43, Scott Hawley wrote:
Wait: Not user error.
I don't want to use anonymous checkout of all thorns.
I want authenticated checkout to my own repository and thorns I'm a co-developer for, but anonymous checkout for repositories I don't have passwords for.
Someone will say, "But how is GetComponents" supposed to know this? I recall in the past, being prompted with "Use anonymous access?" or being told "Enter '-' for anonymous checkout [-]".
But with the Carpet thorns it just gives you a repeating password prompt, with no opportunity to tell it that you want anonymous access.
Is there a way to enable the above?
Please try the patch attached to https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/650. Not having looked into it closely, I believe that this patch might fix your problem. I think the reason it was not applied is that the ticket comments are a bit confusing. Now that I look at it, I think that it WILL ask you if you want anonymous checkout for Mercurial repositories, but it WON'T correctly use any username and password you supply if you say you don't (it will just use the ssh key etc as usual). If this patch fixes the anonymous checkout issue for you, then we can apply it (before or after the release?).
users@lists.einsteintoolkit.org