Your message appeared before I could send my own.
This could explain some things I was not aware of.
Hope I did not disrupt the meeting, as usual my audio had an echo.
I usually copy vara.hamradio.net.iniĀ to generic.ini and proceed.
On 1/14/21 10:09 AM, Roland Haas wrote:
Hello David,
since "hyperthreads" is an Intel concept AMD does not always use it (plus there are flavors of the same concept eg on AMD's Bulldozer CPUs there are 4 floating point units for 8 integer units, where we tend to sometimes see benefits going to all 8 integer cores or at least will do so on clusters since even a 5% speed increase "for free" is worth it).
Anyhow, if you can provide the output of lscpu on your system that will explain things.
Simfactory uses the "Core(s) per socket" and "Socket(s)" values to compute the number of physical cores and hence the number of threads it allows. The hyperthreads (or equivalent) would be "Thread(s) per core".
Note that Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_FX_microprocessors#Bulldozer_Core_...)
does list your processors as 4 cores and 8 threads.
I don't have access to your CPU but eg on a the Blue Waters login nodes (Instanbul/Bulldozer, AMD Opteron(TM) Processor 6276) the output is:
Architecture: x86_64 CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit Byte Order: Little Endian CPU(s): 64 On-line CPU(s) list: 0-63 Thread(s) per core: 2 Core(s) per socket: 8 Socket(s): 4 NUMA node(s): 8 Vendor ID: AuthenticAMD CPU family: 21 Model: 1 Model name: AMD Opteron(TM) Processor 6276
Yours, Roland
users@lists.einsteintoolkit.org