Hi all.
I'm trying out einsteintoolkit + simfactory on a non-standard machine, and am failing rather quickly. I followed the simfactory tutorial advice:
https://svn.cct.lsu.edu/repos/numrel/simfactory/tutorial/index.html
... which said to edit the section of udb.pm entitled "Customize your local machine here". Since this heading no longer appears, I imagine the tutorial is slightly out of date. Anyway, changing "Options for new machines" along these lines doesn't seem to work -- if I run ./sim, I get the following error message:
------------------------ Uncaught exception from user code: Wile setting user option [discover][nickname]="discover": Machine "discover" does not exist at udb.pm line 123. ------------------------
What's the proper method for adding a new machine? Do I actually have to add to the "mdb.pm" file?
Thanks,
Bernard
On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 01:15:21PM -0400, Bernard Kelly wrote:
... which said to edit the section of udb.pm entitled "Customize your local machine here". Since this heading no longer appears, I imagine the tutorial is slightly out of date.
Yes, there is however a section in udb.example.pm:
# Add a new entry to the machine database my $udb_generic = { ...
Which is later used for an example:
# Add a new machine based on the generic template. My machine is # called Redshift; yours will have a different name. $mdb::machine_database{'redshift'} = $udb_generic;
I would either change this udb_generic, or copy and rename it and use it as the generic one is used for 'redshift'.
Frank
Bernard Kelly wrote:
What's the proper method for adding a new machine?
As Frank just mentioned, you set at udb.pm (that you copy from the udb.example.pm template):
$mdb::machine_database{'discover'} = $udb_generic;
Now you need to add the several different options regarding that machine. You use then the set_option command there.
There is a short text at the end of
http://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/Tutorial_for_New_Users
showing how to modify the options for a particular user on Ranger. You may use it as a model when setting it up for your machine.
Do I actually have to
add to the "mdb.pm" file?
No. You can look there for examples on how the options are set for several different machines. It is a database file that could be very helpful.
Cheers... Bruno.
Thanks Bruno, Frank.
I actually read & followed the EinsteinToolkit documentation you pointed to, but it omitted the very first part:
$mdb::machine_database{'discover'} = $udb_generic;
Perhaps this could be added to that page?
Bernard
On 7/28/10 4:03 PM, Bruno Coutinho Mundim wrote:
Bernard Kelly wrote:
What's the proper method for adding a new machine?
As Frank just mentioned, you set at udb.pm (that you copy from the udb.example.pm template):
$mdb::machine_database{'discover'} = $udb_generic;Now you need to add the several different options regarding that machine. You use then the set_option command there.
There is a short text at the end of
http://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/Tutorial_for_New_Users
showing how to modify the options for a particular user on Ranger. You may use it as a model when setting it up for your machine.
Do I actually have to
add to the "mdb.pm" file?
No. You can look there for examples on how the options are set for several different machines. It is a database file that could be very helpful.
Cheers... Bruno.
On 28 Jul 2010, at 22:03, Bruno Coutinho Mundim wrote:
Do I actually have to
add to the "mdb.pm" file?
No. You can look there for examples on how the options are set for several different machines. It is a database file that could be very helpful.
If the machine that you are adding would be useful to others, rather than just being a private laptop or single-user workstation, then you could also move the definition into the mdb.pm and have it committed so that others can use it. The thing to try to avoid is having local uncommitted changes to the mdb.pm, as these lead to conflicts when the format of that file is changed and you update.
users@lists.einsteintoolkit.org