Hi Jakob,
I had the same problem some time ago. Since your HDF5 files are compressed, Cactus tries to unpack them before reading, and this operation somehow is very memory-intensive. Try to repack your checkpoint files before restarting to reduce compression level to zero. You can use the standard h5repack utility for that. Here's a small script to uncompress all checkpoint files and put them to an $OUTDIR directory:
---------------- #!/bin/bash
ITER=5555 # which iteration to use OUTDIR=$SCRATCH/tmp # output directory for f in checkpoint.chkpt.it_${ITER}.file_*.h5; do echo processing $f... h5repack -i $f -o $OUTDIR/$f -f NONE done ----------------
This will make your checkpoint files 5-10 times larger, but because they don't need to be unpacked in RAM, less memory is required to read them.
Also, try the following: 1. set: CarpetIOHDF5::open_one_input_file_at_a_time = yes IO::abort_on_io_errors = yes 2. use less cores per node. 3. try running on larger number of processors.
Cheers, - Oleg Korobkin
Frank Loeffler wrote:
Hi,
On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 03:24:04PM +0900, Jakob Hansen wrote:
#005: H5Zdeflate.c line 133 in H5Z_filter_deflate(): memory allocation failed for deflate uncompression major: Resource unavailable minor: No space available for allocation
Any ideas for possible cause and solution to this?
Looking at these error messages I suggest you first do an h5ls/h5dump to see if the files are actually ok. If that is so, what I would suspect next is that reading the files takes more memory than is available, as indicated by the message above. In this case I suggest to try the workarounds mentioned in this thread:
http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/pipermail/users/2011-February/000852.html
If this also doesn't help I would suggest to try again using more available memory, e.g. using more nodes.
Frank
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
users@lists.einsteintoolkit.org