Hi all,
Multipole is a thorn which provides mode decomposition of grid functions into spherical harmonics, and it is part of the Einstein Toolkit. As the thorn is not yet widely used, and we are approaching a release of the toolkit, I would like to clean up some aspects of the API now before the release. If there are no objections, I will make these changes so that they can be tested as part of the release process.
Currently, Multipole has two modes of operation. "all modes" and "specific mode" to determine whether a range of modes from l_min to l_max are computed, or a single l, m mode. Some parameters are shared between these two methods, and this leads to confusion. For example, if you specify "all modes" (the default, and the one everyone will need), then to specify the maximum l_mode you set l_mode = X. You also have to set m_mode otherwise you only get up to m = 2, even though you are getting the higher l modes. I don't think it is necessary to have these two modes of operation, and propose to simplify the interface so that all modes up to a given l_max are computed, for all m.
Specifically:
Deprecate parameters mode_type, l_min, l_mode, m_mode. Replace with a single new parameter l_max. All modes from l = 0 to l = l_max will be computed. If someone sets l_mode and not l_max, l_mode will be used for l_max to keep backward compatibility for a while.
Hi,
On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 03:07:37PM +0200, Ian Hinder wrote:
I would like to clean up some aspects of the API now before the release. If there are no objections, I will make these changes so that they can be tested as part of the release process.
As far as I can see (please correct me if I am wrong), Multipole currently neither has own testsuites, nor is it used by another testsuite in the ET. This is bad, because it means that the thorn is probably not very well tested. On the other hand, it also means that there are not less reasons not to change something with this thorn.
I am in favor of the changes you suggest, especially because it is a cleanup of the API which means less changes between this and the next release, and the thorn is not that old in general as well.
I would however strongly suggest to include a few, but at least one, testsuite as well. We are on a tight schedule with the testing and will fully start testing on Monday. Do you think you could have this cleanup finished by then? We really would need to have those changes included in the testing if they should be included in the release.
Frank
On 12 Jun 2010, at 15:44, Frank Loeffler wrote:
Hi,
On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 03:07:37PM +0200, Ian Hinder wrote:
I would like to clean up some aspects of the API now before the release. If there are no objections, I will make these changes so that they can be tested as part of the release process.
As far as I can see (please correct me if I am wrong), Multipole currently neither has own testsuites, nor is it used by another testsuite in the ET. This is bad, because it means that the thorn is probably not very well tested. On the other hand, it also means that there are not less reasons not to change something with this thorn.
Indeed. As mentioned in the call on Monday, I am already working on regression tests for this thorn, as I also consider them important. The thorn was fairly well tested when it was written and has not seen much development since then.
I am in favor of the changes you suggest, especially because it is a cleanup of the API which means less changes between this and the next release, and the thorn is not that old in general as well.
I would however strongly suggest to include a few, but at least one, testsuite as well. We are on a tight schedule with the testing and will fully start testing on Monday. Do you think you could have this cleanup finished by then? We really would need to have those changes included in the testing if they should be included in the release.
Yes, that should be possible.
On Jun 12, 2010, at 8:07 , Ian Hinder wrote:
Hi all,
Multipole is a thorn which provides mode decomposition of grid functions into spherical harmonics, and it is part of the Einstein Toolkit. As the thorn is not yet widely used, and we are approaching a release of the toolkit, I would like to clean up some aspects of the API now before the release. If there are no objections, I will make these changes so that they can be tested as part of the release process.
Peter Diener pointed out yesterday that our example parameter files for QC-0 and the TOV star do not include wave extraction. We should probably include these for the release. Since these parameter files have a very coarse resolution, it may be easiest to keep the simulation domain the same and just add one (or a few) extraction spheres at as reasonable as possible a radius.
-erik
users@lists.einsteintoolkit.org