Meeting minutes:
Present were: Frank, Tanja, Bruno, Roland, Christian, Eloisa, Peter, Yosef, Ian, Erik
upcoming ET release: * updated release timeline https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/wiki/ReleasePlan * release will not include python simfactory or the Mercurial version of Carpet, but we will switch to those about two weeks after the release * major new feature of release: EOS_Omni * will write transition guide to be either part of EOS_Omni documentation or on the ET website (or both) * MHD is still being tested and not yet ready for official release ** presentation of status at CIGR workshop * testuites: ** remove obsolete machines: Abe, damiana ** add new machines: Datura (Ian Hinder), Lonestar and Hopper (Erik Schnetter), Trestles (Christian Ott) incl. only if straightforward to do, Pandora (Peter Diener) ** test with OpenMP (release with OMP only if no problems are found): 1 process+1 thread total, 1 process+2 threads total, 2 processes+2 threads total
ET paper: * publish independent of ET release (with timetable from Meeting Reminder): April 04: Most text included, or sections get reassigned April 11: All text included, data from example sections mostly there April 18: Results from example sections included, or dropped April 25: Text and data complete - "public review" May 09: Addressed incoming comments, publish along with new release
Yours, Roland
Hello,
by reading the minutes I started wondering whether there is again a mechanism to check the testsuites regularly and automatically on different machines, like the mechanism that Thomas Radke had created. I read briefly the Einstein Toolkit website, but did not find this mentioned.
- testuites:
** remove obsolete machines: Abe, damiana ** add new machines: Datura (Ian Hinder), Lonestar and Hopper (Erik Schnetter), Trestles (Christian Ott) incl. only if straightforward to do, Pandora (Peter Diener)
Cheers, Luca
On 29 Mar 2011, at 03:01, Luca Baiotti wrote:
Hello,
by reading the minutes I started wondering whether there is again a mechanism to check the testsuites regularly and automatically on different machines, like the mechanism that Thomas Radke had created. I read briefly the Einstein Toolkit website, but did not find this mentioned.
I have set up something which runs nightly on my workstation and tests the ET thornlist with both versions of Carpet as well as some of our private thorns. It is by no means perfect and would need quite a bit of work to make it useful. We should have something "official" which runs on each machine. I suspect one barrier to working on this is the hope that simfactory will one day be able to run testsuites, and that that would be the best infrastructure to use for such a project. Unfortunately, nobody has the time to put the required work in. Are you volunteering? :)
On Tuesday, March 29, 2011 09:57:23 Ian Hinder wrote:
On 29 Mar 2011, at 03:01, Luca Baiotti wrote:
Hello,
by reading the minutes I started wondering whether there is again a mechanism to check the testsuites regularly and automatically on different machines, like the mechanism that Thomas Radke had created. I read briefly the Einstein Toolkit website, but did not find this mentioned.
I have set up something which runs nightly on my workstation and tests the ET thornlist with both versions of Carpet as well as some of our private thorns. It is by no means perfect and would need quite a bit of work to make it useful. We should have something "official" which runs on each machine. I suspect one barrier to working on this is the hope that simfactory will one day be able to run testsuites, and that that would be the best infrastructure to use for such a project. Unfortunately, nobody has the time to put the required work in. Are you volunteering? :)
I would be interested in doing this. However, I would need some instructions...
Cheers
Alexander
On 29 Mar 2011, at 10:09, Alexander Beck-Ratzka wrote:
On Tuesday, March 29, 2011 09:57:23 Ian Hinder wrote:
On 29 Mar 2011, at 03:01, Luca Baiotti wrote:
Hello,
by reading the minutes I started wondering whether there is again a mechanism to check the testsuites regularly and automatically on different machines, like the mechanism that Thomas Radke had created. I read briefly the Einstein Toolkit website, but did not find this mentioned.
I have set up something which runs nightly on my workstation and tests the ET thornlist with both versions of Carpet as well as some of our private thorns. It is by no means perfect and would need quite a bit of work to make it useful. We should have something "official" which runs on each machine. I suspect one barrier to working on this is the hope that simfactory will one day be able to run testsuites, and that that would be the best infrastructure to use for such a project. Unfortunately, nobody has the time to put the required work in. Are you volunteering? :)
I would be interested in doing this. However, I would need some instructions...
What we really need is for somebody to take charge of the project and push it forward, so if you can do that it would be great! I'm sure there are a few people in the same situation as me who don't have time to devote to making this happen, but can give advice and help. We could start by getting some ideas together about what such a system would entail, and whether there are existing systems which we can either build on or use as inspiration (e.g. Thomas' system from before, or something like "buildbot").
I have just made a new page on the ET Wiki for this project and written some initial notes and requirements:
https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/Automated_testing
It would be good if interested people could look at this page and add/edit what is there. We can discuss on the mailing list.
On 3/29/11 6:54 PM, Ian Hinder wrote:
On 29 Mar 2011, at 10:09, Alexander Beck-Ratzka wrote:
On Tuesday, March 29, 2011 09:57:23 Ian Hinder wrote:
On 29 Mar 2011, at 03:01, Luca Baiotti wrote:
Hello,
by reading the minutes I started wondering whether there is again a mechanism to check the testsuites regularly and automatically on different machines, like the mechanism that Thomas Radke had created. I read briefly the Einstein Toolkit website, but did not find this mentioned.
I have set up something which runs nightly on my workstation and tests the ET thornlist with both versions of Carpet as well as some of our private thorns. It is by no means perfect and would need quite a bit of work to make it useful. We should have something "official" which runs on each machine. I suspect one barrier to working on this is the hope that simfactory will one day be able to run testsuites, and that that would be the best infrastructure to use for such a project. Unfortunately, nobody has the time to put the required work in. Are you volunteering? :)
I would be interested in doing this. However, I would need some instructions...
What we really need is for somebody to take charge of the project and push it forward, so if you can do that it would be great! I'm sure there are a few people in the same situation as me who don't have time to devote to making this happen, but can give advice and help. We could start by getting some ideas together about what such a system would entail, and whether there are existing systems which we can either build on or use as inspiration (e.g. Thomas' system from before, or something like "buildbot").
I have just made a new page on the ET Wiki for this project and written some initial notes and requirements:
https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/Automated_testing
It would be good if interested people could look at this page and add/edit what is there. We can discuss on the mailing list.
A first question: how does one run the testsuites (the Cactus testsuites in the present form) on a queueing system?
Luca
On 1 Apr 2011, at 09:25, Luca Baiotti wrote:
On 3/29/11 6:54 PM, Ian Hinder wrote:
On 29 Mar 2011, at 10:09, Alexander Beck-Ratzka wrote:
On Tuesday, March 29, 2011 09:57:23 Ian Hinder wrote:
On 29 Mar 2011, at 03:01, Luca Baiotti wrote:
Hello,
by reading the minutes I started wondering whether there is again a mechanism to check the testsuites regularly and automatically on different machines, like the mechanism that Thomas Radke had created. I read briefly the Einstein Toolkit website, but did not find this mentioned.
I have set up something which runs nightly on my workstation and tests the ET thornlist with both versions of Carpet as well as some of our private thorns. It is by no means perfect and would need quite a bit of work to make it useful. We should have something "official" which runs on each machine. I suspect one barrier to working on this is the hope that simfactory will one day be able to run testsuites, and that that would be the best infrastructure to use for such a project. Unfortunately, nobody has the time to put the required work in. Are you volunteering? :)
I would be interested in doing this. However, I would need some instructions...
What we really need is for somebody to take charge of the project and push it forward, so if you can do that it would be great! I'm sure there are a few people in the same situation as me who don't have time to devote to making this happen, but can give advice and help. We could start by getting some ideas together about what such a system would entail, and whether there are existing systems which we can either build on or use as inspiration (e.g. Thomas' system from before, or something like "buildbot").
I have just made a new page on the ET Wiki for this project and written some initial notes and requirements:
https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/Automated_testing
It would be good if interested people could look at this page and add/edit what is there. We can discuss on the mailing list.
A first question: how does one run the testsuites (the Cactus testsuites in the present form) on a queueing system?
At the end of your job submission script, you need to replace the usual mpirun command with a command to run the testsuites.You have to write a custom submission script. For example, on Kraken, I replace the usual aprun (cf. mpirun) command at the end of the submission script with:
cd Cactus export CCTK_TESTSUITE_RUN_COMMAND="aprun -n $nprocs -d 1 $exe $parfile" export CCTK_TESTSUITE_RUN_PROCESSORS=1 make sim-testsuite PROMPT=no
This avoids the need for interactive prompting. The output is then in the TEST directory. One complication is that the test suites need access to the Cactus source directory (for the test parameter files). On some clusters, e.g. Kraken, a user's home directory is not accessible from the compute nodes. In that case, you have to copy your Cactus configuration to the scratch filesystem usually used for data output.
On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 1:39 PM, Roland Haas roland.haas@physics.gatech.edu wrote:
- testuites:
** remove obsolete machines: Abe, damiana
Damiana is not obsolete.
** add new machines: Datura (Ian Hinder), Lonestar and Hopper (Erik Schnetter), Trestles (Christian Ott) incl. only if straightforward to do, Pandora (Peter Diener) ** test with OpenMP (release with OMP only if no problems are found): 1 process+1 thread total, 1 process+2 threads total, 2 processes+2 threads total
Our current run_script has 1 process+2 threads instead. What do we want? I think that testing correctness for 2 processes+2 threads is more important.
-erik
On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 1:39 PM, Roland Haas roland.haas@physics.gatech.edu wrote:
- testuites:
I notice that there is no list of test machines on the wiki; the table that was there last Monday was removed, and the new table only includes the numrel workstations at the CCT...
-erik
On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 09:28:49PM -0400, Erik Schnetter wrote:
I notice that there is no list of test machines on the wiki; the table that was there last Monday was removed, and the new table only includes the numrel workstations at the CCT...
Yes - the old list is still available though:
http://einsteintoolkit.org/release-info/parse_old_testsuite_results.php
which is now also linked from within the wiki.
Frank
users@lists.einsteintoolkit.org