Ian,
Thanks for your note. I am still having trouble with the .m file and so am not needing the xAct way just yet. This is becoming more and more frustrating as I try to get the .m file in a shape more along your Weyl4 example. I am not wanting to whine to the list as I think that is a big waste of people's time. I do like the kranc approach and am convinced of its demonstrated utility relative to having to construct thorns from scratch. Sorry for bothering you and Eloisa about this. I do appreciate your help and do understand that your can't perform miracles...
Best regards,
Comer
On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 8:17 AM, Ian Hinder ian.hinder@aei.mpg.de wrote:
On 22 Jul 2015, at 21:00, Comer Duncan comer.duncan@gmail.com wrote:
Ian,
Yes, I'd like to see the example you mention.
Hi Comer,
Sorry I have not had time to do this yet. It is on my task list. Do you need it soon?
Thanks.
Comer
On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 11:26 AM, Ian Hinder ian.hinder@aei.mpg.de wrote:
On 22 Jul 2015, at 16:04, Comer Duncan comer.duncan@gmail.com wrote:
Do Kranc and xAct play well together? Just curious since sometimes I do things in xAct and then may want to do the same in Kranc and it would be nice if I could just say import xAct and the work done in it to a developing Kranc script. Of course, there are several pieces of xAct, so maybe my question is not formulated precisely enough, but what do you think?
Hi,
There is experimental support in Kranc for using xAct as an input language. However, it is not well-tested, and might be missing important functionality. This was added by Barry Wardell some time ago. In the past, I have converted xAct expressions into the format expected by Kranc using some simple replacement rules. Let me know if you would like an example. Barry might be able to provide more details of the xAct support in Kranc; I'm not sure of the current status.
-- Ian Hinder http://members.aei.mpg.de/ianhin
-- Ian Hinder http://members.aei.mpg.de/ianhin
On 25 Aug 2015, at 15:16, Comer Duncan comer.duncan@gmail.com wrote:
Ian,
Thanks for your note. I am still having trouble with the .m file and so am not needing the xAct way just yet. This is becoming more and more frustrating as I try to get the .m file in a shape more along your Weyl4 example. I am not wanting to whine to the list as I think that is a big waste of people's time. I do like the kranc approach and am convinced of its demonstrated utility relative to having to construct thorns from scratch. Sorry for bothering you and Eloisa about this. I do appreciate your help and do understand that your can't perform miracles...
Hi Comer,
I'm sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble! Some of this is because Kranc's error messages lack a lot of context. I suggest to adopt an incremental approach. Start from a working version of the script, and add features one-by-one. After each feature you add, see if you can generate the thorn, and even compile it. Usually when writing software, it is best not to try to do too much at once.
users@lists.einsteintoolkit.org