#2747: Inclusion of sgrid importer in Einstein Toolkit
Reporter: Samuel Cupp
Status: open
Milestone: ET_2023_11
Version:
Type: enhancement
Priority: major
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
Comment (by Michal Pirog):
I believe it's done. At least I did it in the analogous way.
BTW: "...when Cactus runs the testsuite...". Can anybody explain how it works, and what is to do in this matter?
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2747/inclusion-of-sgri…
#2747: Inclusion of sgrid importer in Einstein Toolkit
Reporter: Samuel Cupp
Status: open
Milestone: ET_2023_11
Version:
Type: enhancement
Priority: major
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
Comment (by Roland Haas):
the way to do it is to put a clever relative path in there that will work when Cactus runs the testsuite. Eg see `repos/carpet/CarpetIOHDF5/test/input_initial_data.par` which contains:
```
IO::filereader_ID_dir = "../../../arrangements/Carpet/CarpetIOHDF5/test/input_initial_data"
```
which will not work if eg you `cd` into the `test` directory and run the parfile manually using `cactus_sim foo.par` \(since the relative locations are different\).
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2747/inclusion-of-sgri…
#2747: Inclusion of sgrid importer in Einstein Toolkit
Reporter: Samuel Cupp
Status: open
Milestone: ET_2023_11
Version:
Type: enhancement
Priority: major
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
Comment (by Michal Pirog):
There is a new directory DNSdata/test/ now. It contains minimal initial data for Einstein Toolkit testing. They are: "BNSdata\_properties.txt", "checkpoint.0" \(4.2M\), and "test.par". All of them are necessary, but only "checkpoint.0" has a size in MB, the other two are in KB. The file "et.par" is a parfile for Cactus. It needs a path to this directory to be set as: DNSdata::sgrid\_datadir = "path\_to\_the\_directory/test". I'll appreciate your feedback here.
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2747/inclusion-of-sgri…
#2747: Inclusion of sgrid importer in Einstein Toolkit
Reporter: Samuel Cupp
Status: open
Milestone: ET_2023_11
Version:
Type: enhancement
Priority: major
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
Comment (by Roland Haas):
That would make it the largest file use by any test.
```
0.179688 MB ./carpet/CarpetIOHDF5/test/newsep/grid.coordinates.file_0.h5
0.179688 MB ./carpet/CarpetIOHDF5/test/newsep/grid.coordinates.xyz.file_0.h5
0.191406 MB ./pittnullcode/SphericalHarmonicReconGen/test/CceR0158m.h5
0.996094 MB ./einsteininitialdata/ReadInterpolate/test/synthetic_write/checkpoint.chkpt.it_0.h5
1.32812 MB ./carpet/CarpetIOHDF5/test/CarpetWaveToyCheckpoint_test.it_64.h5
1.39844 MB ./pittnullcode/SphericalHarmonicRecon/test/metric_test_case.h5
11.0977 MB ./einsteinanalysis/AHFinderDirect/test/checkpointML-EE/checkpoint.chkpt.it_1.h5
```
which I would consider a doubtful distinction. As said the file does not actually have to be a solution to anything real. So setting up eg Minkowski space using a single domain is fine. Though something with some actually non-zero values and spatially varying would of course be nice \(but linear basis functions would be enough\).
It does not have to evolve, just read in and eg write out 1d ASCII output.
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2747/inclusion-of-sgri…
#2747: Inclusion of sgrid importer in Einstein Toolkit
Reporter: Samuel Cupp
Status: open
Milestone: ET_2023_11
Version:
Type: enhancement
Priority: major
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
Comment (by Michal Pirog):
What about 17MB?
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2747/inclusion-of-sgri…
#2747: Inclusion of sgrid importer in Einstein Toolkit
Reporter: Samuel Cupp
Status: open
Milestone: ET_2023_11
Version:
Type: enhancement
Priority: major
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
Comment (by Roland Haas):
right. TwoPunctures just generates some ID at very low resolution. The `Meudon_Bin_Foo` thorns do not have tests. `FLRWSolver` uses a special “no data file needed” setup for its test. CarpetIOHDF5 has some recover tests \(and ID reader\) in carpet/CarpetIOHDF5/test/input\_initial\_data.par and some data files for that \(15k data\). Same with einsteininitialdata/ReadInterpolate/test/synthetic.par \(1MB data\). 80MB is definitely too large. Ideally the files would <1MB \(they don’t need to be physically sane, so very few modes and few should be sufficient\).
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2747/inclusion-of-sgri…
#2747: Inclusion of sgrid importer in Einstein Toolkit
Reporter: Samuel Cupp
Status: open
Milestone: ET_2023_11
Version:
Type: enhancement
Priority: major
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
Comment (by Michal Pirog):
It is an initial data reader. I believe we need to provide a sample of the initial data to be read, interpolate onto the Cactus grid, and start the Cactus evolution. There are three files, weighing up to 80MB \(in the lowest resolution version\). My intention was to upload them to the "DNSdata/test/" directory. What do you think?
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2747/inclusion-of-sgri…
#2747: Inclusion of sgrid importer in Einstein Toolkit
Reporter: Samuel Cupp
Status: open
Milestone: ET_2023_11
Version:
Type: enhancement
Priority: major
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
Comment (by Samuel Cupp):
@{634afd8853df3c01232121fd} what do other ID thorns do for tests? I know most just rely on evolution thorns which use them for tests, but this one obviously doesn’t have an existing test in any evolution thorns. I would like to see a test for this thorn, but if it needs a file to read I don’t know the right way to do that.
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2747/inclusion-of-sgri…
#2747: Inclusion of sgrid importer in Einstein Toolkit
Reporter: Samuel Cupp
Status: open
Milestone: ET_2023_11
Version:
Type: enhancement
Priority: major
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
Comment (by Liwei Ji):
I have looked at the files in CactusSgrid/DNSdata and they look good to me \(good style, comments and so on\). Is there anything else I need to do \(Sorry that I haven’t review any code before and have no experience\). I think the only miss pieces are documentations and tests.
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2747/inclusion-of-sgri…
#2759: TwoPunctures swap_xz results in left-handed coordinate system
Reporter: Zach Etienne
Status: new
Milestone:
Version:
Type: bug
Priority: minor
Component:
Comment (by Roland Haas):
I don’t know. We generally assume people know what they are doing \(they are doing science after all, one assumes a level of care\). Outputting a warning all the time just b/c a \(documented\) parameter is being set, does not seem right.
If a warning is desired I would think a textual warning in `param.ccl` is sufficient.
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2759/twopunctures-swap…