#2745: Inclusion of GRHayL library and associated MHD thorns
Reporter: Samuel Cupp
Status: new
Milestone: ET_2023_11
Version:
Type: enhancement
Priority: major
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
Comment (by Samuel Cupp):
For the full library documentation, I point them to the GitHub wiki where we give details on all the library functions. Hopefully that is sufficient.
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2745/inclusion-of-grha…
#2745: Inclusion of GRHayL library and associated MHD thorns
Reporter: Samuel Cupp
Status: new
Milestone: ET_2023_11
Version:
Type: enhancement
Priority: major
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
Comment (by Samuel Cupp):
I pushed a version of the documentation for `GRHayLib`, as well as documentation updates/additions for the others.
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2745/inclusion-of-grha…
#2739: change ADMMacros::spatial_order to GRHydro::sources_spatial_order in Hydro_RNSID example parfiles
Reporter: Roland Haas
Status: open
Milestone:
Version:
Type: bug
Priority: minor
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
Comment (by Roland Haas):
@stevenrbrandt says “please apply”
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2739/change-admmacros-…
#2745: Inclusion of GRHayL library and associated MHD thorns
Reporter: Samuel Cupp
Status: new
Milestone: ET_2023_11
Version:
Type: enhancement
Priority: major
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
Comment (by Samuel Cupp):
Sorry if I was unclear before, but we aren’t trying to get the MHD into this release anymore. Just `GRHayLib`, `GRHayLHD(X)`, and `GRHayLID(X)`. I have documentation.tex that I have been working on, but I haven’t finished and pushed it yet. I will update as soon as I do.
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2745/inclusion-of-grha…
#2745: Inclusion of GRHayL library and associated MHD thorns
Reporter: Samuel Cupp
Status: new
Milestone: ET_2023_11
Version:
Type: enhancement
Priority: major
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
Comment (by Peter Diener):
The tests for GRHayLHD now runs, but the new data is for 1 processor whereas the test requirement is for running on 2 processors. The test for GRHayLMHD still sets wrong parameters. After fixing those, the test fails with differences in all output files.
GRHayLib has no documentation. I would think that a library in order to be really useful would have documentation that describe the provided interfaces.
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2745/inclusion-of-grha…
#2745: Inclusion of GRHayL library and associated MHD thorns
Reporter: Samuel Cupp
Status: new
Milestone: ET_2023_11
Version:
Type: enhancement
Priority: major
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
Comment (by Samuel Cupp):
I ported all the changes made to `GRHayLHD` and `GRHayLID` to the X versions and added a test to `GRHayLHDX.` I also checked that the test looks the same for both versions \(as much as they can with cell/vertex differences\).
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2745/inclusion-of-grha…
#2756: SystemTopology fails to handle Intel CPUs with performance and efficiency cores
Reporter: Roland Haas
Status: new
Milestone:
Version:
Type: bug
Priority: major
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
SystemTopology fails on new Intel CPUs with an assert similar to:
```
cactus_sim: configs/sim/build/SystemTopology/system_topology.cc:471: void {anonymous}::set_bindings(hwloc_topology_t, const mpi_host_mapping_t&): Assertion `num_pus % num_cores == 0' failed.
```
where in the case of a 12th Gen Intel\(R\) Core\(TM\) i7-12700
[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List\_of\_Intel\_Core\_i7\_processors#Golden\…
with performance \(16\) and efficiency \(4\) logical cpus hwloc reports:
core\_depth 5
num\_cores 12
pu\_depth 6
num\_pus 20
and the assert \`num\_pus % num\_cores == 0\` fails \(b/c only the 8 performance
cores have hyperthreads\).
This has been reported on the mailing list in [https://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/pipermail/users/2023-August/009036.html](…
Not sure if the asserted property is indeed required by SystemTopology or if this is only a sanity check that can be removed without affecting functionality. Certainly performance will be unbalanced between MPI ranks and OpenMP threads that run on P or E cores respectively \(and also if a hyperthread pair was split among two MPI ranks\).
This may mostly affect workstations and laptops as I would not expect server class CPUs \(on HPC systems\) to have efficiency cores \(do they?\).
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2756/systemtopology-fa…