Hi All,
I have been experimenting with the GW150914 par file (Thanks for putting
it together!), which uses Llama multipatch (MP) with McLachlan (ML) and,
of course, Carpet AMR in the interior Cartesian patch, tracking the
punctures.
I'm noticing three things when looking at Psi4 l2,m2 waveforms (and this
is largely independent of extraction radius):
(1) The waveforms have high-frequency wiggles that similar pure-AMR
simulations do not show. I don't have a pure AMR simulation for
GW150914, but am comparing with an 8-orbit, equal mass, non-spinnning
case. I can run GW150914 with pure AMR if need be.
(2) The high-frequency wiggles get *worse* if I decrease the finite
differencing order from 8th to 4th order.
(3) This appears to be a wave amplitude-dependent 'feature', since the
wiggles are much less pronounced once the waves reach higher amplitudes.
I'm attaching two gnuplot screenshots: fig1.png shows the first ~800 M
of Psi4 l2,m2 real at r=136 M with the stock par file and with a
modified par file for 4th order. fig2.png is a zoom-in.
I'm also attaching the par file that I'm using for the 4th-order run.
Now my questions: Does anybody have an idea where the high-f noise is
coming from and why it's getting worth for lower FD order? Any
suggestions on how to mitigate it?
Thanks!
- Christian