On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 10:08 PM, Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.eduwrote:
There was a discussion regarding where to place checkpoint files. I originally intended them to reside within the corresponding output-NNNN directories, and this required setting the checkpoint directory to $parfile, same as the output directory. However, since then others made the point that they rather wanted all checkpoint files of a simulation in the same directory, because this enables Cactus to remove the checkpoint files of previous restarts -- this makes restarts less independent, but can save disk space. This requires setting the checkpoint directory to "../checkpoints".
I don't recall what changes were necessary in Simfactory to support this, but there may have been some.
In the end, I don't think any changes were made in order to support this. The only changes were in the parfiles.
However, Simfactory always expected all output directories to be set to $parfile, or to subdirectories of $parfile. It may be that things worked without doing so, but I never used or tested this myself.
I guess it must have always been the case that this didn't work. It does seem somewhat counter-intuitive that by default Cactus outputs checpoints to a different location than where it looks for them.
Barry