Dear Enzo,
CactusTutorial.ipynb shows you how to run simulations.
For example, to run interactively, it shows that you do this:
./simfactory/bin/sim create-run helloworld \ --parfile arrangements/CactusExamples/HelloWorld/par/HelloWorld.par
So create a simulation name, e.g. multipatch, and pass your parfile.
--Steve
On 3/9/2023 3:50 PM, Enzo Iubini wrote:
Hello Steve, I'm sorry to bother but I forgot one thing.
I was told that I could learn about Einstein Toolkit by running some done simulations and shifting parameters to see how the code works. I tried working with this Multipatch wave equation : https://einsteintoolkit.org/gallery/multipatch/index.html
But I do not know how to run it. I see I have a parameter file, but don't I need the ccl files as well? (the schedule, init, boundary) How do I work with these?
This would help me so much, I hope you can help me out.
Best regards, Enzo
El jue, 9 mar 2023 a las 18:38, Enzo Iubini (egic.enzo@gmail.com) escribió:
Hello Steve, thanks for your thoughtful answer. Just for clarification, I just meant it was a black box for me as I'm still trying to understand the basics. :D So I ran all the cells once more and they didn't show anything different. If I could ask for a favour, could you run all the cells and then send me that jupyter notebook? I know the simulation will not run correctly on my computer but I could see which warnings (or lack thereof) arise when you run the code and maybe figure out if something is wrong with my computer, or anything similar. I would appreciate it very much, I've got to learn the Einstein Toolkit and I have no one here in Chile to help me, but I'll try my best this year! Thank you again, I'll wait for your answer. Best regards, Enzo El mié, 8 mar 2023 a las 17:59, Steven R. Brandt (<sbrandt@cct.lsu.edu>) escribió: On 3/8/2023 2:13 PM, Enzo Iubini wrote:Thank you Steve! My problem is: the simulation gifs of the Wave Equation and Heat Equation notebooks on the tutorial folder are not showing correctly.So I just clicked through the heat equation notebook. The cell that ends with: ## play animation from IPython.display import HTML HTML(anim.to_html5_video()) #playback option 1 #HTML(anim.to_jshtml()) #playback option 2 Played an animation for me. Initially, there is a spike at the center of the grid, and it evolves to become flat. (It also printed a deprecation warning about the "close_event" function, whatever that is). Did you click through to this cell or did you stop at the one before? Because the one before it just displays a still image. The WaveEquation also worked for me by just clicking through the cells in order.I'm trying to understand how Cactus works, so I ran every cell in the notebook while looking at the Terminal and seeing how each file is created and its contents. The problem comes when I finally run the simulations, which take a while.This happens in seconds for me.So after the running is complete, there's this section called "Extract data from hdf5 files". The files exist, as I have previously checked, but the time steps array is actually a [0,0] array in the heat equation, and a very random array in the wave equation. In both cases, when plotting the simulations, the solution does not change from the initial condition.Did you modify the cells from the original tutorial? Because this all just worked for me.I tried to open the data files to see if I could understand what was going on but I'm unable to open these kind of files, and Cactus being a black box leaves me helpless to see where the mistake is coming from.So I disagree that Cactus is a black box since it is open source and the purpose of these tutorials is to show how it works... but it's a very big non-black box which can be overwhelming. I think your problem is the hdf5 files, not Cactus. Hdf5 is a file format that Cactus uses. You can open them with commands like h5ls, or Python's h5py library (which the notebook provides some examples of usage).I want to work on the problems at the end of these notebooks, but not correctly seeing the solution makes me think there's something wrong since the beggining, and I have not changed anything else from the initial notebook.So I'm not 100% sure what's going on, but I suspect you've either not clicked far enough or you have modified the notebook. Please check and let me know. --SteveHas this happened to anyone before? I'm sorry for the long email, I'm very new to this software and there's so much to learn! :-) Thank you in advance. - Enzo El mié, 8 mar 2023 a las 14:02, Steven R. Brandt (<sbrandt@cct.lsu.edu>) escribió: You've come to the right place. What's the problem? --Steve On 3/7/2023 7:41 PM, Enzo Iubini wrote:Hello! Thank you for approving my tutorial account. I have a small question. I'm having a bit of trouble with some tutorial notebooks, in particular the Heat Equation and Wave Equation notebooks, where the simulations are not running properly. The question is, who can I contact to get support with this? I would not want to bug you if this is not your job, but I'm a little lost and got nobody to ask for help. Thank you in advance. Greetings! Enzo Iubini El lun, 5 dic 2022 a las 13:12, Steven R. Brandt (<sbrandt@cct.lsu.edu>) escribió: Approved. :) --Steve On 12/5/2022 9:53 AM, RegistrationBot@einsteintoolkit.org wrote: > Einstein Toolkit maintainers: > > New Tutorial Request: > Name: http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9327-0832 > Email: egic.enzo@gmail.com > Organization: ORCID > Why: Hello! > My name is Enzo Iubini and I'm doing my Master's degree in Applied Mathematics. I study at Universidad de Chile, and my work is about binary black holes. My proffessor has recommended me to try Einstein toolkit, but I'm having trouble understanding how to work around it, therefore I'd really like to have a tutorial account. > I do not have a homepage. > > Thanks in advance! > > > The above user has requested a tutorial account. > > Thanks, > Einstein Toolkit Registration Bot > > _______________________________________________ > Maintainers mailing list > Maintainers@einsteintoolkit.org > http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/maintainers