Hello Ian, all,
If we change the default, then the default will be VECTORISE_INLINE = no. We have to have a default, and it's not clear which is better. Vectorisation is new in this release of the ET, so no one using a previous release should be affected. We know that McLachlan prefers VECTORISE_INLINE = no for high order differencing, otherwise the compiler takes too much memory. So I say we should set the default to the only thing we know is a definite improvement for the thorns in the ET.
Sounds reasonable. A comment why we make this choice in the option lists might be helpful though to avoid users blindly turning it on again since "inlining is always better" [see http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/CodingStyle#692 :-)].
? The addition of this feature of Kranc was intended to avoid this proliferation of parameterised calculations. I'm not sure what you are trying to say...
Ok, this is more or less what I suspected. My point would have been that the (smaller) parameterized calculations might have avoided the out-of-memory problems (though Erik says that 8th order always used lots of memory). Not having the number of routines explode is certainly a nice thing.
know why), but Ranger has a ulimit setting of 8 GB for virtual memory, so I think the process will be terminated when it uses more than 8 GB, which is a sensible precaution for a production system.
ok. Then we will not get lots of angry emails from Ranger users that brought down the head node. Thanks.
Yours, Roland