Hello Yosef,
I looked through the patches and I don't see where the start-up algorithm is modified. Also there are these two changes that I am not sure about. The first changes the algorithm in the middle of a run.
It seems as if the patches were mixed up somehow (though just how that happened is a mystery to me, given that it is just a svn diff inside of a bash for loop). Anyhow. I have updated the patches on the trac ticket and now one (NullEvolve) actually has non-trivial code changes. There are now to 1 and 2 byte patch files since I cannot seem to remove attachments, only replace them.
The second changes the meaning of the "time" in the output file. My guess is that a typical user wouldn't want to do either of these.
Can you point out which change this is, please?
-BOOLEAN first_order_scheme "should angular derviatives be reduced to first order?" +BOOLEAN first_order_scheme "should angular derviatives be reduced to first order?" STEERABLE=ALWAYS
-BOOLEAN interp_to_constant_uBondi "Interpolate quantities at Scri to constant Bondi time" +BOOLEAN interp_to_constant_uBondi "Interpolate quantities at Scri to constant Bondi time" STEERABLE=ALWAYS
These are the ones that allow changing the algorithm in the middle of arun? Or is the first_order_scheme the one that changes algorithm and the Bondi time one the one that changes output time?
I usually promote the viewpoint that parameters should be as steerable as possible without breaking the code, even if a means that a user can ruin their data by unwise parameter changes (rather than just unwise parameter settings). maybe being able to steer this parameter at least during recovery is useful for some debugging runs?
Yours, Roland