Hi, There was some discussion of HDF5 and c++ recently on this list (See: http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/pipermail/users/2010-September/000515.html ). And also on the trac list in October. In relation to these, our group has been having several problems related to HDF5 and c++ recently. On many of the production environments where we run, there is no hdf5 build available which includes cpp support. In particular a build failed when searching for libhdf5_hl_cpp. We worked around this by removing these libraries from the list in ExternalLibraries/HDF5/HDF5.sh. This seemed to work, but required our hacking the repository version of the code and presumably could cause a failure with any thorns needing HDF5 C++ support. At the same time (actually going back to the first ETK release) I have had difficulty compiling on MacOS, (the macports hdf5-18 doesn't support fortran or c++ with openmpi). I don't generally need hdf5 when I'm doing development on my laptop, but it would be good to have it working. I recently tried using the HDF5=BUILD option on Mac, but this seemed to lead to the same problem in different form. The HDF5 configuration failed with a complaint that --enable-cxx was incompatible with MPI compilers. Getting to the point now, I have some questions:
1. Is there a good reason why HDF5 needs the C++ libraries in Cactus? 2. Does hdf5 1.8.5 even support the c++ interface? 3. What should we be doing differently to work around these issues?
Thanks. John.