Hi Roland,
Thanks for all of your help on this. I'm still failing dismally. I have made some notes against yours below and attached relevant files.
On Mon, 7 Aug 2023 at 16:27, Roland Haas rhaas@illinois.edu wrote:
Hello Bob,
I believe that I had previously done everything required and followed all of the install instructions properly. But I have now gone through them
all
again and still have the same problem. I have attached the config file you mentioned but it doesn't seem to give any more details that are spooled in the Jupyter notebook when I run it.
Let me see. In you case it looks for just gfortran. This is admittedly a bit odd. On MacOS using homebrew or macports it should look for gfortran-13 or gfortran-mp-13 respectively.
I have seen issues with Macs that change their machine name since they get derive it from their WiFi IP address. So here's my suggestion:
- run hostname -f to find out your laptops (current) machine name
Robs-Mac-mini.local
- compare to the output of `simfactory/bin/sim whoami` which should be similar
Current machine: Robs-Mac-mini.local
- look for the newest file simfactory/mdb/machines/*.ini . It should have quite a long name that looks similar to the output of hostname above
INI file attached below::::: The name is exactly the same
- if the file name differs (other than in having the .ini extension) then you laptop got a new name since you set up Cactus and you will need to re-run `simfactory/bin/sim setup-silent` once more. It should (just above the SUMMARY output) say something along the lines of:
Creating machine gdd6l52n-ofc.ncsa.illinois.edu from generic: machine gdd6l52n-ofc.ncsa.illinois.edu [/Users/rhaas/ET_Next/repos/simfactory2/mdb/machines/gdd6l52n-ofc.ncsa.illinois.edu.ini] created successfully
- take a look at the ini file mentioned, and look for the "optionlist" entry. There should be a file of that name in simfactory/mdb/optionlists and that should contain the correct gfortran in its F90 entry
The optionlist mentioned is : optionlist = generic.cfg I have also attached this optionlist. It refers to F90 = gfortran .
If you laptop does indeed change names, you can force simfactory to use a specific name by creating a file $HOME/.hostname and writing the desired machine name to it (eg gdd6l52n-ofc.ncsa.illinois.edu in my example above). You can also try and pass `--machine gdd6l52n-ofc.ncsa.illinois.edu` (for example) to each simfactory command which has the same effect (or at least should).
If any of these things turn out to be not true, could you include the full output from `setup-silent` (text, not a screenshot please) as well as the ini file and cfg files (machine definition and option list), please?
Also which package manager you are using (homebrew or macports) as well as the output from `which gfortran-13` /opt/homebrew/bin/gfortran-13or `which gfortran-mp-13` gfortran-mp-13 not found as
appropriate both from within a Terminal and from withint the jupyter
notebook (in a %%bash cell or using !). (*/opt/homebrew/bin/gfortran-13* and *gfortran-mp-13 not found* respectively)
II originally used MacPorts but when this failed I did the Homebrew stuff as well. Is this okay or will this now have led to some conflicts?
Finally of course, sometimes the easiest way to clear out mysterious errors is to wipe Cactus (`rm -rf ~/Cactus`) and start from scratch (so that no lingering options are left behind).
I tried this and had the same problem.
I have also now tried installing VMWare and creating an Ubuntu virtual machine but I could not get Jupyter Notebook to install on my 65bitArm version and my shell experience is really patchy. I feel like I've just turned up at medical school and have been given a heart transplant to perform!!!
I think my biggest problem here is my understanding of the underling stuff. I've programmed for years but in C#, Java, Python etc so rarely get my hands dirty in the back-end. I suspect I need to remove/uninstall some more stuff and start again but wouldn't know where to start with this. I've only been running this new Mac-mini for a few months so if I felt I had a good chance of success I would be tempted to do a full clean re-install of Ventura since all of my data is cloud backed.
Yours, Roland
-- My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://pgp.mit.edu .