Please go ahead and forward our mails. Though Frank L"{o}ffler has just
posted something on this to
the main list.
Thanks again, Bernard
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
Bernard Kelly -- CRESST Research Associate, NASA/GSFC
Phone: +1 (301) 286-7243
E-Mail: bernard.j.kelly@nasa.gov
Web:
http://science.gsfc.nasa.gov/sed/index.cfm?fuseAction=people.jumpBio&iph...
bookid=13052
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
On 12/1/11 11:31 AM, "Roland Haas"
roland.haas@physics.gatech.edu wrote:
>Hello Bernard,
>
>> Thanks, Roland. I'll have to check, but that sounds plausible: I
>>sometimes
>> am sloppy with my max_refinement_levels.
>>
>> Do you know why it uses "max_refinement_levels" instead of the actual
>> instantaneous finest level? For simplicity, or consistency over time (in
>> case a derefinement happens)? The effect is counter-intuitive to me.
>It cannot use the current ("actual") largest refinement level in use
>since you could decide to activate the dormant higher refinement level
>later on in the run (eg. Christian does that for core collapse runs). At
>the moment the new level becomes active the meaning of cctk_iteration
>would change and all previous iteration numbers would have to be
>multiplied by say two if you add one more level.
>So yes, it is for consistency in case de- and refinement happens. It is
>somewhat odd yes, that the iteration counter does not necessarily
>increase by one from one step to the other (actually it does internally
>to Carpet it is just that nothing is called on these levels [in
>Evolve.cc] in particular you cannot have a global routine run more
>frequent than the finest level).
>
>Yours,
>Roland
>
>PS I forgot to CC the list. Do you mind if I forward both emails?
>--
>My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting
>and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from
http://keys.gnupg.net.
>