Hello Mario,
at this point, to my knowledge, none of the ET maintainers has access to a M1 Mac so the combination of ET and M1 Mac is officially untested.
Adding to this, I have been told, by colleagues who do own a M1 Mac and tried to compile the ET, that they faced problems. It is not clear if this was something with the ET or gcc (only the very newest one will work with the M1 chip) or the package manager or other reasons.
Basically: if you want to try and report back that would be great.
Yours, Roland
Hi Roland,
Has the toolkit been tested on M1 chips yet? I was just about to do a fresh install of the latest Lorentz release on my M1 Mac Mini and then I saw this thread. Do you recommend sticking to x86 or is it safe to install on M1?
Best, Mario
From: users-bounces@einsteintoolkit.org users-bounces@einsteintoolkit.org on behalf of Roland Haas rhaas@illinois.edu Date: Friday, June 4, 2021 at 15:27 To: Hamilton, Maria babiuc@marshall.edu Cc: users@einsteintoolkit.org users@einsteintoolkit.org Subject: Re: [Users] problems compiling ETK on OSX Big Sur ⚠ External sender. Take care when opening links or attachments. Do not provide your login details.
Hello Maria,
I've been trying to compile the new stable version of the ETK Lorentz on osx Big Sur and I got all kinds of problems.
This is x86 or M1?
I could compile Lorentz fine on OSX BigSur (x86 in a VM) using both macports and homebrew.
Note that both might have updated their default compilers (to gcc-11) since you last tried.
The instructions to compile are in the jupyter notebook:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?...
I just tried following those instructions on BigSur 11.4, HomeBrew, both freshly updated and things worked ok (taking into account the bugfix in https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?... ).
Here's my OS information and installed packages:
% sw_vers ProductName: macOS ProductVersion: 11.4 BuildVersion: 20F71
% brew list --versions apr 1.7.0_2 apr-util 1.6.1_3 fftw 3.3.9_1 gcc 11.1.0_1 gettext 0.21 gmp 6.2.1 gsl 2.7 hdf5 1.12.0_4 hwloc 2.4.1 isl 0.24 jpeg 9d libevent 2.1.12 libmpc 1.2.1 lz4 1.9.3 mpfr 4.1.0 open-mpi 4.1.1_2 openssl@1.1 1.1.1k pkg-config 0.29.2_3 readline 8.1 sqlite 3.35.5 subversion 1.14.1_2 szip 2.1.1_1 utf8proc 2.6.1 zstd 1.5.0
Yours, Roland
-- My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?... .