It works!
Thanks,
-DG
On May 25, 2022, at 10:36 AM, Garrison, David <Garrison@uhcl.edumailto:Garrison@uhcl.edu> wrote:
Hello,
I’ve got 3 M1 Macs. A 2021 MacBook Air with an M1 and over 20 years of Time Machine backups, a 2021 iMac with an M1 and a different set of old Time Machine backups and a brand new 2022 MacBook Pro with an M1 Max and a fresh OS with no legacy files. For some reason, I only got ET to compile on the MacBook Air. I have no idea why this is. The other 2 give me the error that I shared. I tried using HomeBrew and MacPorts as well as Intel’s OneApi on each of these. I’ll check out the link you sent to see if I missed anything. It would be good to have some documentation on how to install ET on a fresh M1 since that is the first sub-$1000 Mac that seems to be able to effectively run ET code.
-DG
On May 25, 2022, at 10:20 AM, Roland Haas <rhaas@illinois.edumailto:rhaas@illinois.edu> wrote:
Hello David,
looking at your included output somehow clang got involved.
We do not actually document (or support) compiling the ET using clang on a mac.
Last I heard was that someone did manage to compile the ET with the latest release on a M1 mac using one of HomeBrew or MacPorts (installing the packages listed at the top of: https://github.com/nds-org/jupyter-et/blob/master/tutorial-server/notebooks/...https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://github.com/nds-org/jupyter-et/blob/master/tutorial-server/notebooks/CactusTutorial.ipynb__;!!BCR0FSePrR4x!Dv3eK7C5wwOsMA-_nwPZkJUqvF5JklYngcHpSULm4pPMZp6EXmvyqBji_ioZsO9HCUmes3yvNl6nVRMSb1M$ in the Prerequisites section).
Did you give that a try already?
Yours, Roland
I’ve tried building from scratch several times using the real clean option between builds. This is happening on 2 different computers and has been going on for weeks.
-DG -- David Garrison, Ph.D. Associate Dean for the College of Science and Engineering, Professor and Founding Chair of Physics University of Houston-Clear Lake Bayou 3611/STEM 2252 Houston, TX 77058
BAYOU: 281-283-3717 STEM : 281-283-3796 https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.uhcl.edu/science-engineering/faculty... https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.uhcl.edu/physics__;!!DZ3fjg!7jg-dGvcy...
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?" — Albert Einstein.
On May 5, 2022, at 12:45 PM, Erik Schnetter <schnetter@gmail.commailto:schnetter@gmail.commailto:schnetter@gmail.com> wrote:
David
Superficially, this looks as if a file was miscompiled. This might happen if you interrupt a build, and an incomplete object file is left over. The next build might not detect this.
Starting a new build from scratch would then resolve this.
-erik
On Wed, May 4, 2022 at 4:35 PM Garrison, David <Garrison@uhcl.edumailto:Garrison@uhcl.edumailto:Garrison@uhcl.edu> wrote:
Hello,
I keep getting the errors below when I try to compile my ETK code on my M1 Macs. Any ideas on how to correct this?
Updating /Users/garrison/Applications/Cactus/configs/specgrmhd/lib/libthorn_CactusBindings.a Creating cactus_specgrmhd in /Users/garrison/Applications/Cactus/exe from CactusBase/Boundary CactusBase/CartGrid3D CactusBase/CoordBase CactusBase/Fortran CactusBase/IOASCII CactusBase/IOBasic CactusBase/IOUtil CactusBase/InitBase CactusNumerical/InterpToArray CactusNumerical/LocalInterp2 CactusNumerical/LocalReduce SpecCosmo/MHD_Analysis SpecCosmo/MHD_INIT ExternalLibraries/MPI SpecCosmo/MoL CactusUtils/NaNChecker CactusUtils/Nice CactusNumerical/Noise CactusNumerical/Norms CactusPUGH/PUGH CactusPUGH/PUGHInterp CactusPUGH/PUGHReduce CactusPUGH/PUGHSlab CactusNumerical/Periodic CactusNumerical/Slab SpecCosmo/SpecGRMHD CactusBase/SymBase CactusUtils/SystemStatistics CactusBase/Time CactusUtils/TimerReport CactusUtils/Vectors ExternalLibraries/zlib Undefined symbols for architecture arm64: "_analysis1_", referenced from: _CCTKi_BindingsSchedule_MHD_Analysis in ScheduleMHD_Analysis.c.o "_analysis2_", referenced from: _CCTKi_BindingsSchedule_MHD_Analysis in ScheduleMHD_Analysis.c.o "_analysis3_", referenced from: _CCTKi_BindingsSchedule_MHD_Analysis in ScheduleMHD_Analysis.c.o "_analysis4_", referenced from: _CCTKi_BindingsSchedule_MHD_Analysis in ScheduleMHD_Analysis.c.o "_checkfortranparameters_", referenced from: _CCTKi_BindingsSchedule_Fortran in ScheduleFortran.c.o "_grmhd_initial_", referenced from: _CCTKi_BindingsSchedule_MHD_INIT in ScheduleMHD_INIT.c.o ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture arm64 clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation) make[2]: *** [/Users/garrison/Applications/Cactus/exe/cactus_specgrmhd] Error 1 make[1]: *** [specgrmhd] Error 2 make: *** [specgrmhd-rebuild] Error 2
-DG
_______________________________________________ Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.orgmailto:Users@einsteintoolkit.orgmailto:Users@einsteintoolkit.org https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinf...
-- Erik Schnetter <schnetter@gmail.commailto:schnetter@gmail.commailto:schnetter@gmail.com> https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/personal/eschne...
Yours, Roland
-- My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://pgp.mit.eduhttps://urldefense.com/v3/__http://pgp.mit.edu/__;!!BCR0FSePrR4x!Dv3eK7C5wwOsMA-_nwPZkJUqvF5JklYngcHpSULm4pPMZp6EXmvyqBji_ioZsO9HCUmes3yvNl6nwNTowSo$ .
-- David Garrison, Ph.D. Interim Associate Dean for the College of Science and Engineering, Professor and Former Chair of Physics University of Houston-Clear Lake Bayou 3611 Houston, TX 77058
Tel: 281-283-3796 Fax: 281-283-3709 http://sce.uhcl.edu/garrison http://www.uhcl.edu/physics
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?" ‹ Albert Einstein.
_______________________________________________ Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.orgmailto:Users@einsteintoolkit.org https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinf...
-- David Garrison, Ph.D. Interim Associate Dean for the College of Science and Engineering, Professor and Former Chair of Physics University of Houston-Clear Lake Bayou 3611 Houston, TX 77058
Tel: 281-283-3796 Fax: 281-283-3709 http://sce.uhcl.edu/garrison http://www.uhcl.edu/physics
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?" ‹ Albert Einstein.