On 16 Jan 2012, at 23:21, Jose Fiestas Iquira wrote:
Thanks, I am attaching the output file.
The output file looks fine - I can't see any problem with the simulation. According to the output file, it reached t = 100 M, and in the parameter file that is listed as cctk_final_time, so all looks well!
I did copy the development version. As I can see, it was already fixed, so I should not get this warning, since I copied the development version.
Yes, if you are using the current development version, then I don't know why you get the warning. Can you check which version of Carpet you have by doing
cd repos/carpet hg tip
to be sure you are using the development version?
Is the puncture tracker not a better way to plot BH trajectories.
It's cheaper to use the puncture tracker, because computing the horizon centroid is more expensive, but it has to be done every iteration, whereas the horizon can be found less frequently. For comparison with point-particle results, I don't think it makes much difference; the results are gauge dependent anyway so differences on the order of the horizon size cannot be interpreted physically. Since the parameter file already has horizon-finding built in, it is easier for you to use that.
If you want to figure out how to add the puncture tracker to the simulation, you can start with these parameters:
ActiveThorns = "PunctureTracker"
PunctureTracker::track [0] = yes PunctureTracker::initial_x [0] = $xp PunctureTracker::which_surface_to_store_info[0] = 0 PunctureTracker::track [1] = yes PunctureTracker::initial_x [1] = $xm PunctureTracker::which_surface_to_store_info[1] = 1
IOASCII::out0D_vars = "PunctureTracker::pt_loc"
Replace $xp and $xm with the initial x coordinates of the +x and -x punctures (this will be \pm TwoPunctures::par_b). You then need to choose two spherical surfaces (https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/Einstein_Toolkit_standards) which are not being used currently to store the puncture locations in. If there is already 0D output, just add the puncturetracker variable separated with a space.
I did some plots, what are really the combinations xx, xy, xz, yy, zz ? Are they related to the trajectories of one BH (projections)? What about the second BH?
You should have BH_diagnostics.ah1.gp and BH_diagnostics.ah2.gp. These correspond to the first and second BHs. If you look at the top of these files, you will see an explanation of the columns. More information about each column is available in the AHFinderDirect documentation (http://einsteintoolkit.org/documentation/ThornGuide/ThornGuidech128.html#x14...). Specifically, information about the BH_diagnostics output files is at http://einsteintoolkit.org/documentation/ThornGuide/ThornGuidech128.html#x14...
To plot the trajectory of one of the BHs, you want to plot column 3 and column 4 in a parametric plot.
Cheers, Jose
On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 4:39 AM, Ian Hinder ian.hinder@aei.mpg.de wrote:
On 14 Jan 2012, at 00:41, Jose Fiestas Iquira wrote:
Hi Ian, I did the changes but it started and finished early. I am attaching the qc0-mclachlan.err file. At the end there is a warning in one of the Carpet files (mask_test.c)
The warning you see,
WARNING level 1 in thorn CarpetReduce processor 0 host qb517 (line 120 of /home/ettest24/Cactus/arrangements/Carpet/CarpetReduce/src/mask_test.c): -> Simulation domain volume and reduction weight sum differ
is a known issue (https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/434) which was fixed after the last release and the fix is only available in the development version. I believe that the warning is not fatal, and it should not have terminated the simulation. Can you also post the qc0-mclachlan.out file?
Where can I find the puncture tracker?
The PunctureTracker thorn is part of the Einstein Toolkit thornlist, so you should have it already. However, I think the best thing for you to do initially would be to look at the BH_diagnostics files for the apparent horizon centroid locations for tracking the locations of the BHs.
Thanks, Jose
On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 4:38 AM, Ian Hinder ian.hinder@aei.mpg.de wrote:
On 13 Jan 2012, at 12:32, Jose Fiestas Iquira wrote:
Yes, trajectories and wave forms would be enough for now. Which are
the names of this files? Many of the .asc files have data like kxx,
kxy, kxz, etc. Is there any description of them?
Not that I am aware of. Files with extension .x.asc are 1D ascii output of grid functions from CarpetIOASCII. kxy is the variable name for the x,y component of the extrinsic curvature tensor K. The waveform file should be in mp_psi4_l2_m2_r*.asc where * corresponds to the radius of the extraction sphere. However, looking at the qc0-mclachlan.par file, I see that there is no wave extraction switched on. You should be able to enable wave extraction by adding something like the following to the parameter file:
ActiveThorns = "WeylScal4 CarpetInterp AEILocalInterp Multipole"
Multipole::nradii = 3
Multipole::radius[0] = 30
Multipole::radius[1] = 40
Multipole::radius[2] = 50
Multipole::variables = "WeylScal4::Psi4r{sw=-2 cmplx=’WeylScal4::Psi4i’}"
Multipole::l_max = 4
WeylScal4::fdOrder = 4
(I haven't tested this, so let me know if it doesn't work)
I've just found that the usual PunctureTracker thorn is not enabled in this example parameter file. So to look at trajectories you will have to use the apparent horizon centroids. These are in the files BH_diagnostics.ah*.gp. The meanings of the columns are at the top of the files. You want the centroid x and y columns to plot in GnuPlot.
Thanks,
Jose
On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 12:41 AM, Ian Hinder ian.hinder@aei.mpg.de wrote:
On 12 Jan 2012, at 23:46, Jose Fiestas Iquira wrote:
Dear all,
I run the tutorial and found other interesting examples like the
McLachlan tool for Binary Black Holes.
Regarding the McLachlan tool,
Could somebody help me finding a description of the output? Is all
contained in the .asc files? I would like to visualize it.
Hi Jose,
What sort of output do you want to visualise? Cactus thorns typically
output "lightweight" information such as BH trajectories and waveforms as
ASCII, and more heavyweight data -- like gridfunctions -- as HDF5. For the
trajectories (from thorn Puncture Tracker) and waveforms (from Multipole)
you can use gnuplot or anything that can read standard ASCII output to
visualise them. For gridfunctions in HDF5 format, I think the easiest way
to get started is to use VisIt, for which there is a Carpet plugin (though
installing VisIt is sometimes not so easy!).
Does anyone know if the Carpet plugin is distributed with VisIt yet? I
believe that was the intention.
Cheers,
Jose
On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 7:06 PM, Jose Fiestas Iquira jafiestas@lbl.gov
wrote:
Thanks to Erik for advise. ETK example simulation run successfully.
On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Jose Fiestas Iquira jafiestas@lbl.gov
wrote:
Right, it looks good now:
./simfactory/bin/sim list-simulations
static_tov [ACTIVE (RUNNING), restart 0000, job id 595490]
Let see how it looks when it finishes. The example was set to 8 hours.
Thanks,
Jose
On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.edu
wrote:
On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 2:42 PM, Jose Fiestas Iquira jafiestas@lbl.gov
wrote:
The only thing is that now
$ ./simfactory/bin/sim list-simulations
returns
Error: unknown command list-simulation
Aborting Simfactory.
Did you really type "list-simulations", and the error message says
"list-simulation" (without the final "s")?
-erik
--
Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.edu http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/
Users mailing list
Users@einsteintoolkit.org
http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
--
Ian Hinder
http://numrel.aei.mpg.de/people/hinder
--
Ian Hinder
http://numrel.aei.mpg.de/people/hinder
<qc0-mclachlan.err>
-- Ian Hinder http://numrel.aei.mpg.de/people/hinder
<qc0-mclachlan.out>