Hi Christian, Bruno, Roland.
h5ls seemed to indicate that the file wasn't corrupted )though perhaps I don't know what HDF5 corruption looks like):
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
h5ls hahndol::hahndol_coulomb.h5
HAHNDOL::Im_Coulomb\ it=0\ tl=0\ rl=0 Dataset {34, 61, 61} HAHNDOL::Re_Coulomb\ it=0\ tl=0\ rl=0 Dataset {34, 61, 61} Parameters\ and\ Global\ Attributes Group ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally my Visit and plugins were compiled with slightly different versions of HDF5 (1.8.6 vs 1.8.7). I tried the HDF5_IGNORE_VERSION_CHECK variable, but it made no difference.
I've now moved to the 1.8.7 for both, but it doesn't help (apart from removing warnings about HDF5_IGNORE_VERSION_CHECK). The terminal output from Visit is:
--------------------------------------------------- Running: gui2.4.2 Running: viewer2.4.2 -host 127.0.0.1 -port 5600 -geometry 875x778+405+0 -borders 20,0,0,1 -shift 0,0 -preshift 0,0 -defer Running: mdserver2.4.2 -host 127.0.0.1 -port 5601 mdserver(17278) malloc: *** error for object 0x7fff70bc2500: pointer being freed was not allocated *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug Running: mdserver2.4.2 -host 127.0.0.1 -port 5601 mdserver(17341) malloc: *** error for object 0x7fff70bc2500: pointer being freed was not allocated *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug Running: mdserver2.4.2 -host 127.0.0.1 -port 5601 mdserver(17362) malloc: *** error for object 0x7fff70bc2500: pointer being freed was not allocated *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug Running: mdserver2.4.2 -host 127.0.0.1 -port 5600 mdserver(17383) malloc: *** error for object 0x7fff70bc2500: pointer being freed was not allocated *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug Running: mdserver2.4.2 -host 127.0.0.1 -port 5600 ---------------------------------------------------
I'm not sure it's not my Visit installation itself. I got the pre-compiled Mac package. I'm trying a from-source installation instead, but am briefly hung up getting the pre-requisite VTK on my machine.
Thanks,
Bernard
----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Bernard Kelly -- CRESST Research Associate, NASA/GSFC
Phone: +1 (301) 286-7243 E-Mail: bernard.j.kelly@nasa.gov Web: http://science.gsfc.nasa.gov/sed/index.cfm?fuseAction=people.jumpBio&iph... -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Bruno Giacomazzo <bruno.giacomazzo@jila.colorado.edumailto:bruno.giacomazzo@jila.colorado.edu> Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 15:27:39 -0500 To: Bernard Kelly <bernard.j.kelly@nasa.govmailto:bernard.j.kelly@nasa.gov> Cc: Einstein Toolkit Users <users@einsteintoolkit.orgmailto:users@einsteintoolkit.org> Subject: Re: [Users] Visit & CarpetHDF5 mismatch?
Beany, I use VisIt without problems with the Maxwell version of the Einstein Toolkit. Was your plugin compiled with the same HDF5 library version used to compile VisIt? Did you use h5ls to check the file is not corrupted?
Cheers, Bruno
On Apr 10, 2012, at 2:21 PM, Kelly, Bernard J. (GSFC-660.0)[UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND BALTIMORE COUNTY] wrote:
Hi all. I'd like to visualise some 3D data produced by an initial-data run of the EinsteinToolkit (Maxwell).
I'm outputting using CarpetIOHDF5; I have an output file "hahndol::hahndol_coulomb.h5", and decided to use Visit, as recommended by cactuscode, etc.
I grabbed the CarpetHDF5 plugin code from svn, and installed as per instructions (pointing at the ETK-installed HDF5 in my Cactus/configs/<config-name>/scratch/external directory).
Starting Visit (2.4.2) , and trying to load a .h5 file yields the following error:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---- The metadata server running on host localhost has exited abnormally. VisIt is trying to restart it. Shortly thereafter, the following occured... VisIt was unable to open "/Users/bjkelly1/Projects/CODES/Cactus/exe/BL_IJS_test/hahndol::hahndol_cou lomb.h5". Each attempt to open it caused VisIt's metadata server to crash. This can occur when the file is corrupted, or when the underlying file format has changed and VisIt's readers have not been updated yet, or when the reader VisIt is using for your file format is not robust. Please check whether the file is corrupted and, if not, contact a VisIt developer. --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----
I have no idea whether the file is corrupted, but wanted to know: is the CarpetHDF5 plugin up-to-date with the output of Maxwell's CarpetIOHDF5?
Any basic ideas where I might have gone wrong?
Thanks,
Bernard
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -- Bernard Kelly -- CRESST Research Associate, NASA/GSFC
Phone: +1 (301) 286-7243 E-Mail: bernard.j.kelly@nasa.govmailto:bernard.j.kelly@nasa.gov Web: http://science.gsfc.nasa.gov/sed/index.cfm?fuseAction=people.jumpBio&iph... bookid=13052 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- --
_______________________________________________ Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.orgmailto:Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Dr. Bruno Giacomazzo JILA - University of Colorado 440 UCB Boulder, CO 80309 USA
Tel. : +1 303-492-0389 Fax : +1 303-492-5235 email : bruno.giacomazzo@jila.colorado.edumailto:bruno.giacomazzo@jila.colorado.edu web: http://www.brunogiacomazzo.org
---------------------------------------------------------------------- There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't ----------------------------------------------------------------------