On 14 Aug 2011, at 05:41, Erik Schnetter wrote:
Scott
No, simfactory does not know that. Given Cactus's dynamic schedule, and in particular given AMR, it is basically impossible to predict this.
Simfactory does, however, know internally how much memory each system provides.
In my runs, the grid structure could be predicted based on the parameter file, as I don't regrid initially based on any computed data. The memory usage is essentially constant within about 20% for the duration of the run. I spend a lot of time trying different numbers of cores until the run fits, and it seem that this is something which could be estimated. It would be very useful to be able to run Cactus on my workstation with a production parameter file, but have it not actually allocate the memory. It could then tell me the total amount of memory that it would have allocated, and simfactory could use this to tell me how many cores to run on. One could even imagine a future where this was done automatically, given a desired memory utilisation rate. Is this really impossible with Carpet? It that because of conceptual problems, or technical? I think this would be a wonderful ability to have, and would save many people a large amount of time.
-erik
On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 5:02 PM, Scott Hawley scott.hawley@belmont.edu wrote:
Does simfactory automatically know how much memory I'm going to request from the host machine?
I've looked in the Tutorial (perl) and the Advanced Tutorial, and haven't found such an option to set.
Thanks.
-- Scott H. Hawley, Ph.D. Asst. Prof. of Physics Chemistry & Physics Dept Office: Hitch 100D Belmont University Tel: +1-615-460-6206 Nashville, TN 37212 USA Fax: +1-615-460-5458 PGP Key at http://sks-keyservers.net
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
-- Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.edu http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/ _______________________________________________ Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users