On 23 May 2012, at 14:19, Kelly, Bernard J. (GSFC-660.0)[UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND BALTIMORE COUNTY] wrote:
[moving back to the list after two off-list mails]
Hi Ian.
OK, I've tried the bare git commands you mention. Here are my results:
humperdinck:~ prince$ git clone --depth 1 git://carpetcode.org/McLachlan Cloning into 'McLachlan'... remote: Counting objects: 961, done. remote: Compressing objects: 100% (627/627), done. remote: Total 961 (delta 772), reused 428 (delta 327) Receiving objects: 100% (961/961), 897.79 KiB | 397 KiB/s, done. Resolving deltas: 100% (772/772), done.
humperdinck:~ prince$ cd McLachlan/
humperdinck:McLachlan prince$ git checkout --track -b ET_2011_10 origin/ET_2011_10 fatal: git checkout: updating paths is incompatible with switching branches. Did you intend to checkout 'origin/ET_2011_10' which can not be resolved as commit?
humperdinck:McLachlan prince$ git --version git version 1.7.10.2
I note that (a) there are far fewer "objects" in my git checkout (perhaps this is normal?) than in yours -- 978 vs 3878; (b) my git version is 1.7.10.2, rather than the 1.7.5.4. This is the current result of an up-to-date MacPorts install of git-core.
I wonder if for some reason your new version of Git is honouring the shallow clone option (--depth 1), whereas my old version is not. I'm not sure why we do a shallow clone by default; it means that you can't use the git repository for anything particularly useful. Possibly also you can't use it for switching branches.
The documentation says:
--depth <depth> Create a shallow clone with a history truncated to the specified number of revisions. A shallow repository has a number of limitations (you cannot clone or fetch from it, nor push from nor into it), but is adequate if you are only interested in the recent history of a large project with a long history, and would want to send in fixes as patches.
Can you try it without the --depth 1 option and see if that fixes it?
Bernard
On 5/23/12 7:56 AM, "Ian Hinder" ian.hinder@aei.mpg.de wrote:
On 23 May 2012, at 13:25, Kelly, Bernard J. (GSFC-660.0)[UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND BALTIMORE COUNTY] wrote:
Hi Ian.
Yes, I should have explained that this was an additional checkout after most of ETK was already checked out (hence the number 12 instead of 175 or so). But the original checkout was also Maxwell, and was performed only a day or two earlier, with the same GetComponents and thornlist.
I just moved that whole Cactus aside and redid from scratch. Identical failure (but this time saying 175). Almost everything checks out fine; just not McLachlan and KrancNumericalTools, and GetComponents itself, apparently (?).
I've redone the checkout (again after the main checkout) with the "--verbose" option. Result after main text. The option "--verbose 2" fails, so presumably the correct syntax is slightly different; I didn't hang around to check.
BTW, I don't really think the issue has anything to do with my OS X version, though I suppose my MacPorts git might have some funny settings.
Hi Bernard,
Can we move this back to the list? Others might have suggestions and will benefit in future from the discussion. I have done this:
MacBook-2:temp $ git clone --depth 1 git://carpetcode.org/McLachlan Cloning into McLachlan... remote: Counting objects: 3878, done. remote: Compressing objects: 100% (2222/2222), done. remote: Total 3878 (delta 3229), reused 2050 (delta 1638) Receiving objects: 100% (3878/3878), 2.38 MiB | 838 KiB/s, done. Resolving deltas: 100% (3229/3229), done. MacBook-2:temp $ cd McLachlan/ MacBook-2:McLachlan (master) $ git checkout --track -b ET_2011_10 origin/ET_2011_10 Branch ET_2011_10 set up to track remote branch ET_2011_10 from origin. Switched to a new branch 'ET_2011_10' MacBook-2:McLachlan (ET_2011_10) $ git --version git version 1.7.5.4
Those are the commands that GetComponents claims to be using. Can you try these commands on their own and see what happens? It might be something to do with old versions of Git, or maybe GetComponents is doing something different than the commands it outputs.
Have a look at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/499316/git-plugin-for-hudson-checkout-p roblem, and other google hits for the checkout error message. It's looking like it might be a problem with an old version of git.
-- Ian Hinder http://numrel.aei.mpg.de/people/hinder