Bruno
I don't have any official files to share. I'll attach my own configuration files which depend on many self-installed software packages.
If you are interested in using GPUs, then we can meet on Zoom (with your collaborators or students, and others who are interested), and I can give a brief demonstration.
-erik
On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 10:39 AM Bruno Giacomazzo bruno.giacomazzo@unimib.it wrote:
Erik, thanks. Do you have any instructions (or simfactory files) to share if I wanted to try compiling and running it on GPUs? I have access to a GPU cluster at CINECA in Italy and I may try running there (each node has 4 x NVIDIA Volta V100 GPUs). The theory group here in Bicocca is also going to buy a server with 4 x NVIDIA A100 GPUs for testing purposes.
I do not have experience with GPUs, but I'm happy to help if needed.
Cheers, Bruno
Il giorno gio 3 giu 2021 alle ore 15:38 Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.edu ha scritto:
Bruno
GPUs are supported and are working fine. A WaveToy is working, but I haven't tested it in the past weeks. The Einstein equations require more work to be efficient on GPUs.
-erik
On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 9:29 AM Bruno Giacomazzo bruno.giacomazzo@unimib.it wrote:
Roland and Erik, thanks a lot for the explanation. I saw the release notes with CUDA listed in the larger changes and this is why I asked.
Erik, does CarpetX already support GPU via AMReX or is more work needed?
Thanks, Bruno
Il giorno gio 3 giu 2021 alle ore 14:35 Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.edu ha scritto:
To my knowledge, the improved support means that it is now possible to mix CUDA and C++ code in the same source files. That is, you can compile C++ code with a CUDA compiler, which will pass on the C++ bits to the regular C++ compiler while extracting the CUDA code. This is merely a technical improvement of the make system that makes it easier to write one version code that can run on both a CPU or a GPU, instead of having to write two separate versions of the code.
The real CUDA-related work happened in CarpetX https://bitbucket.org/eschnett/cactusamrex/, which is not part of the Einstein Toolkit yet. But we're getting there!
-erik
On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 3:40 AM Bruno Giacomazzo bruno.giacomazzo@unimib.it wrote:
would it be possible to have a (short) summary of the CUDA support introduced in the latest release?
Thanks, Bruno
Il giorno gio 3 giu 2021 alle ore 00:15 users@einsteintoolkit.org ha scritto:
Hello,
Please consider joining the weekly Einstein Toolkit phone call at 9:00 am US central time on Thursdays. For details on how to connect and what agenda items are to be discussed, use the link below.
https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/Main_Page#Weekly_Users_Call
--The Maintainers _______________________________________________ Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
--
Prof. Bruno Giacomazzo Department of Physics University of Milano-Bicocca Piazza della Scienza 3 20126 Milano Italy
email: bruno.giacomazzo@unimib.it phone: (+39) 02 6448 2321 web: http://www.brunogiacomazzo.org
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
-- Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.edu http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/personal/eschnetter/
--
Prof. Bruno Giacomazzo Department of Physics University of Milano-Bicocca Piazza della Scienza 3 20126 Milano Italy
email: bruno.giacomazzo@unimib.it phone: (+39) 02 6448 2321 web: http://www.brunogiacomazzo.org
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
-- Erik Schnetter schnetter@cct.lsu.edu http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/personal/eschnetter/
--
Prof. Bruno Giacomazzo Department of Physics University of Milano-Bicocca Piazza della Scienza 3 20126 Milano Italy
email: bruno.giacomazzo@unimib.it phone: (+39) 02 6448 2321 web: http://www.brunogiacomazzo.org
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't
Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users