Hi,
On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 11:00:38AM -0500, Erik Schnetter wrote:
Web 2.0 technologies for accessing and announcing Cactus simulation results:
Those are probably not a bad idea. Not many people might use them, but I can see the potential use.
AEIThorns/SystemStatistics
I didn't use that thorn yet, but it sounds like a good idea. From its README:
This thorn collects information about the system Cactus is running on and exposes it in Cactus grid variables.
ExternalLibraries/CGNS ExternalLibraries/HYPRE
I don't think we should include those, at least not at the moment. None of the ET problems requires them. As far as I know they are used by the CFDToolkit, and should be included in their thornlist, or maybe in a Cactus-only list as well. Including them would make people checkout and build libraries which they most likely will never use, at least not for anything which can be done with the ET at the moment.
However, if those two libraries would be the only thorns left when subtracting an ET-release-thornlist from a Cactus-release thornlist, I suggest to include those two thorns in the release-testing of the ET, but to leave them out of the released version. This would allow for an easier simultaneous Cactus-ET release, but would not require the ET to also maintain those thorns. Inclusion of those libraries are very unlikely to mask problems which would only happen without them.
Frank