On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 2:18 AM, Frank Loeffler knarf@cct.lsu.edu wrote:
Hi
On Fri, Jul 03, 2015 at 05:33:55PM -0400, Erik Schnetter wrote:
I propose to re-format Carpet's source code via clang-format.
One question I couldn't find an easy answer for using Google: how often and how much does the default format style change?
The reason I am asking is that if that happens, not only will we have users with different versions having the problem of back-and-forth only-format changes, we also will have to create a lot of 'update to format x' commits to avoid mixing them with real changes.
The same would happen if we decide that the default isn't doing exactly what we want, and change it. (and I've seen a few examples I didn't like
- just not yet some I would care enough about).
Did anyone compare the available styles for C++, and how often _they_ change?
clang-format knows different styles (LLVM, Google, Chromium, Mozilla, WebKit), and of course you can define your own via .clang-format files, usually using one of these four as starting point. I briefly looked at them, and I found LLVM to be the closest to "usual" (dense) C++ formatting; LLVM unsurprisingly also the default.
I agree that clang-format makes sometimes choices that I wouldn't make. However, the resulting code is always very readable. And since the whole point of using an automated formatter is that one doesn't have to care about the style and fine-tune it, I decided to simply use the LLVM style and forego the bikeshedding.
I don't think these styles change at all. I'm not aware of changes in the past year. They have seen improvements to certain corner cases, or have been extended to handle C++14 and now C++17 constructs, but I'm not aware of any changes ("hey! let's change indentation from 2 to three 3 spaces!").
-erik