Hello Bernard,
(closing the email thread by making sure it is marked as "responded")
This should be fixed as of commit e185dc0c
https://bitbucket.org/cactuscode/cactus/commits/e185dc0c014d148908054ff34e6a...
of Cactus (see ticket https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2781)
Thanks to Sam for following up on this and testing the fixes.
Yours, Roland
Hi Samuel.
Your code fix did indeed fix the problem (without having to compile from scratch with DEBUG=no) -- thanks! (I also compiled on a different machine with DEBUG=no from scratch, and that ran OK too)
I don't really understand what's going on here, though. I assume/hope that WeylScal4 will be updated to avoid the need for this patch ...
Thanks again, Bernard
On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 3:45 PM Cupp, Samuel D. scupp1@my.apsu.edu wrote:
This should be a bug that only affects debug mode. Looking through the code, I think I've tracked back the issue. The RDWR attribute for functions (set in CCTKi_CreateRDWRData) is only defined if presync_mode is set to something other than "off" (the default). As such, this section of code should be bypassed for that parameter setting. As a quick fix, you could change line 324 of repos/flesh/src/main/RDWR.cc
from
if(cctkGH == nullptr))
to
if(cctkGH == nullptr || CCTK_Equals(presync_mode, "off"))
Let me know if that fixes the issue.
Samuel Cupp Postdoctoral Researcher Department of Physics University of Idaho
*From:* Bernard Kelly physicsbeany@gmail.com *Sent:* Thursday, February 29, 2024 12:29 PM *To:* Cupp, Samuel D. scupp1@my.apsu.edu *Cc:* Einstein Toolkit Users Users@einsteintoolkit.org *Subject:* Re: [Users] WeylScal4 failing testsuites with ET_2023_11
Hi Samuel. Thanks for the quick response.
For both code releases (ET_2023_05 and ET_2023_11), I have DEBUG=yes in my config.
Now that you've pointed it out, I *could* recompile from scratch with DEBUG=no ... but should I have to? And is this just covering up an actual bug (as the name implies)?
Bernard
On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 3:23 PM Cupp, Samuel D. scupp1@my.apsu.edu wrote:
Hi Bernard, Is your parfile setting the parameter presync_mode? Alternatively, did you compile in debug mode? I ask this because that function has the following code
static bool presync_only = CCTK_Equals(presync_mode, "presync-only"); #ifndef CCTK_DEBUG if(!presync_only) return true; #endif
Unless I'm reading this section incorrectly, the code shouldn't reach that assertion unless its in debug mode or the mode is "presync-only".
Samuel Cupp Postdoctoral Researcher Department of Physics University of Idaho
*From:* Users users-bounces@einsteintoolkit.org on behalf of Bernard Kelly physicsbeany@gmail.com *Sent:* Thursday, February 29, 2024 11:58 AM *To:* Einstein Toolkit Users Users@einsteintoolkit.org *Subject:* [Users] WeylScal4 failing testsuites with ET_2023_11
Hi. I just tried running a parameter file with WeylScal4 using the ET_2023_11 release, and it fails during the pre-initial stage, with screen output like the following:
NFO (CarpetIOHDF5): I/O Method 'IOHDF5_1D' registered: 1D AMR output of grid variables to HDF5 files INFO (CarpetIOHDF5): I/O Method 'IOHDF5_2D' registered: 2D AMR output of grid variables to HDF5 files INFO (CarpetIOHDF5): Periodic 2D AMR output requested for: ML_ADMCONSTRAINTS::H INFO (CarpetIOHDF5): I/O Method 'IOHDF5_3D' registered: 3D AMR output of grid variables to HDF5 files INFO (CarpetIOScalar): Periodic scalar output requested for: ML_BSSN::H ML_BSSN::M1 ML_BSSN::M2 ML_BSSN::M3 cactus_sim_ET_2023_11_WS4_ORIG: /nobackupp19/bjkelly1/codes/Cactus_ET_2023_11/configs/sim/build/Cactus/main/RDWR.cc:336: int cctki_RDWR::CCTK_HasAccess(const _cGH *, int): Assertion `current_function->RDWR' failed. Rank 3 with PID 73750 received signal 6 Writing backtrace to Kerr_LES_StandardSpin_VACUUM_dx032_WS4_ORIG/backtrace.3.txt
I tried to run the WeylScal4 testsuites too (Teukolsky etc), with the same "Assertion `current_function->RDWR' failed" message.
Just to check, I went back an ET release (ET_2023_05), and did the same test, and the tests ran & passed.
So did something happen between releases to change the behavior of WeylScal4? And would it affect other Kranc-generated thorns too?
Thanks, Bernard
--
Bernard Kelly -- CRESST Assistant Research Scientist, NASA/GSFC Gravitational Astrophysics Laboratory --- Code 663
Phone: +1 (301) 286-7243 *** Fax: +1 (301) 286-2226 Web: https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://science.gsfc.nasa.gov/sed/bio/bernard.j.k... ORCID: orcid.org/0000-0002-3326-4454
--
Bernard Kelly -- CRESST Assistant Research Scientist, NASA/GSFC Gravitational Astrophysics Laboratory --- Code 663
Phone: +1 (301) 286-7243 *** Fax: +1 (301) 286-2226 Web: https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://science.gsfc.nasa.gov/sed/bio/bernard.j.k... ORCID: orcid.org/0000-0002-3326-4454