On 27 Nov 2012, at 09:50, Roland Haas roland.haas@physics.gatech.edu wrote:
Hello all,
This sounds like it might change results for more than just this one test case. Does more test data need to be regenerated, and does this affect reproducibility of simulations? Erik, what was the reason for this change in Carpet? Am I worrying for nothing?
As far as I can tell:
We have few tests using mesh refinement, so not many tests are affected. Other than this it was tests in Dissipation. As far as real world simulations are concerned I expect that every simulation that uses init_fill_timelevels (ie. very many) will see changes in its evolved variables (but no changes at t=0 where all timelevels align). The changes are in the buffer zones only if we have ID where ID values depend only on position (and not eg on taking finite difference derivatives) which includes eg. TwoPunctures. All of this is true for vertex centered data. Cell centered data is different everywhere since restriction is no longer just a copy operation.
Thanks. What was the reason for the change? Was it incorrect before?