Hi Roland,
That sounds reasonable. I think I was originally using srun, but was recommended to move to ibrun. I will try with srun to see if it works, in which case I will update the simfactory entry and the testsuite results.
Gabrieel
On Thu, Jun 2, 2022 at 8:03 AM Roland Haas rhaas@illinois.edu wrote:
Hello Gabriele,
ok, I can at least partially answer this. Indeed RNS's A2 test is code to use only 1 MPI rank:
TEST rnsA2 { PROCS 1 }
and thus the most likely reason is that ibrun just pulls the number of MPI ranks from SLURM rather than from whatever simfactory tries to use.
Since ibrun is no longer documented on the SDSC page (at least I do not see it on https://www.sdsc.edu/support/user_guides/expanse.html), maybe the easiest fix is to remove it and use the srun command they document now?
Yours, Roland
Hello Gabriele,
hmm.
/home/sbozzolo/Cactus/arrangements/Carpet/Carpet/src/SetupGH.cc:148: -> The environment variable CACTUS_NUM_PROCS is set to 1, but there
are 2
MPI processes. This may indicate a severe problem with the MPI startup mechanism.
IBRUN: launch command: srun -n 2 --ntasks-per-node 2
/expanse/lustre/projects/uic383/sbozzolo/ettests_2proc/SIMFACTORY/exe/cactus_sim
Looking at these, I would have expected that CACTUS_NUM_PROCS is set to 2 given that -n is 2 (being the number of MPI ranks).
The current submitscript uses ibrun though current documentation uses srun. Maybe changing to srun helps? Though the srun command does seem to have 2 MPI procs in the way you expect to.
Can you check (in the RunScript in simulations/foo/output-0000/SIMFACTORY) what CACTUS_NUM_PROCS is set to?
If this works with "regular" runs but fails with the testsuite using --testsuite then the issue is most likely related to the complicated method simfactory has to use to set the number of MPI ranks.
I would check if the failing test is actually runnable only on 1 MPI rank (set in test.ccl). In that case, Cactus will try to run in it in a 2 MPI rank test suite but use only 1 MPI rank. Possibly ibrun ignores Cactus' request and uses only information provided by SLURM.
Yours, Roland
-- My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://pgp.mit.edu .